Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

2019 Conclave Events

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 10, 2018, 02:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcjomar

I'm curious about both events, but dates and times will decide my ability to attend.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

To cross post this from the Dark Magenta resurrection thread...

Although it'd be great to get Inquisitor battle reports from any source, I'm looking into arranging games specifically for the purpose of writing up for Dark Magenta. These will obviously differ from standard Conclave events, being more exclusive, somewhat slower paced (in order to have time to take notes/photos) and without the same overarching narrative structure.

At the moment, I'm planning this for the London area (although I may look at other locations in future). If you'd be interested as either a player or a gamesmaster (of either scale), let me know, and once I've found enough willing victims, I'll try to work out some good match-ups and sort out dates for us to meet.

As I say, these won't be conventional events, but I'm mentioning it here as they will obviously need to be fitted in around other events (there should be plenty of room for that in the schedule, but we still need to bear it in mind).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

We're being approached by the LGT team again to ask about arrangements.

Although we had some issues last year, they seem to be putting in a lot of work to tighten things up; there are some things that won't much affect us directly (such as their terrain issue, but they're certainly shaping things up), but assuming things live up to what has currently been publicised, we're not going to be crammed into a small corner (also good for getting our weird oversized toys spotted), catering arrangements should be less restrictive, no obnoxious security, and there isn't a mandatory long walk to get to the venue. (If you go via Edmonton Green station, the W8 bus heads right to the centre).

We still need to look into the issue of pricing - I can't yet guarantee anything, but I'm hoping I can argue that because we're normally 3 or 4 to a table that we're using less space and fewer tables/mats/etc than other games, so while there will be per-person costs like catering/security/insurance, we do require less total expense per attendee.

It depends a bit how that discussion goes, but in general I think The Conclave should probably be involved with the LGT again. Whether that holds true for a third year will depend, but I'm seeing enough improvement from last year that I think it's fair to give the event a second chance.

~~~~~

There's two main questions here then:

1) Have we got enough interest to return?

2) Who will be running it? I'm prepared to take on the task, but it doesn't necessarily have to be me, or even the same person on both days.

(I will also be sending round newsletter e-mails, but at a more sensible time of day!)

GW's =I= articles

TheNephew

I'm in.
I'd be happy to write a scenario for it, if the two day split is the plan - I'm not up to running the whole event though.

MarcoSkoll

I'm assuming the two day split for the moment.

Although a two-day campaign could be a fantastic opportunity to allow intricate stories running over 5 or 6 rounds, I don't think we'd get enough people who could do it. We'd need to see a much stronger community to make that viable.

Another alternative is that maybe we keep it to just one day if not enough people are interested enough in the Sunday.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Two things to cover:

~~~~~

First up, I've been in discussion with the LGT organisers about pricing.

They're somewhat wary about having events trying to undercut each other, but I've managed to convince them that Inquisitor is sufficiently niche that this is unlikely to be a major concern, and that the Inquisitor community isn't really used to full tournament pricing and, that with several of us to a table, people felt that at least some of the costs could have been split more ways.

With that in mind, I've argued the price down from the £40 of most LGT events to a £30 ticket. I know this remains a little pricier than the £10 we used to ask for the one-day IGT, but I'm hoping it still puts the price into a more reasonable ballpark for people.

As it is, I think this means an improvement on almost every concern that we had with the LGT last year - less cramped, more flexible catering, less obnoxious security, a more accessible venue (with plenty of on-site parking, and buses right to the doorstep from one of the local stations), and a lower ticket price.

~~~~~

Secondly - Cortez, are you ready to set a date for your Isabella event yet, or are you alright for me to set the date for Fracture first and then work around that?
For me to have any chance of putting Fracture around February, I need to be starting to make moves on that.

GW's =I= articles

TheNephew

I assume that's £30 including the ~£20 entry that was separate last year?
That's ok by me, as long as the LGT's organisational skills have improved significantly.

MarcoSkoll

That is for the entire event, as they've removed the separate "convention access passes" from last year (although my recollection is that they were £10, not £20), bringing the total price for the weekend down from a £40 ticket and £10 pass last year to "just" a £30 ticket (and, as far as I can tell, without the requirement to purchase the venue's food and drink either).

On top of that, I'm looking at the possibility of also being able to add some arrangements on the Friday afternoon/evening for anyone who will be staying the night before - I know this won't be everyone, so I'm possibly thinking some long format games or the like that we can't normally fit into our standard events (perhaps giving players the opportunity to organise amongst themselves).

So, potentially that's three days of gaming for only slightly more than half the price of two last year.

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

I'm strongly considering it.
I'll need to try to get it into the calendar before my wife gets there.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

If we have any more feedback regarding whether we join the 2019 London Grand Tournament, the organisers are pressing me for plans, but I'd like to hear back from more of you if possible.

GW's =I= articles

Van Helser

Autumn time isn't going to be suitable for me unfortunately so I'll have to pass on the LGT. I am glad that they have taken feedback on board and changed the venue to somewhere more suitable to place gaming tables and with better security arrangements though.

Ruaridh

MarcoSkoll

Gah...

Turnout was kind of marginal last time, and anyone that can't make it starts making things increasingly impracticable. I have had some interest expressed via Facebook, but I've not really got much to work with.

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

I would be free across that weekend.

Radu Lykan

I hope to be available, I am heavily involved with tribemeet/yakday  https://yaktribe.games/community/threads/tribemeet2019uk-nce.7914/ around that time but it is usually the weekend before this. Once tribemeet 2019 (March 15th-17th is out of the way we will look at when the September event will take place. I have some say in it but who knows?
With enough notice I can perhaps get a whole new retinue done towards a specific theme if needed? I see tom (lordborak) is interested as well and possibly jamie (horuswaspretty) I can sound them out a bit more

MarcoSkoll

I've not heard anything from Lord Borak or horuswaspretty about the London GT myself, but if you think you can get them involved, that could be a big decider. With some of the people who did it last year either uncertain or unavailable (such as Van Helser due to be occupied with looking after snotling #2), we need to try to fill in those already quite thin numbers again.

Specific themes are generally not required, but to be fair, I haven't yet decided which of the various weird things in my ideas folder to use for the LGT...

GW's =I= articles