Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Campaign day: Ascension. Date to be determined

Started by Cortez, October 20, 2019, 12:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortez

So I've been planning this campaign since the legacy event at last years LGT. But just haven't had time due to getting married last summer.

So I seem to have a bit more time lately, so hopefully this can take place sometime in the new year.

Iconoclast Destroyer Poison Moon
Somewhere in interstallar space approximately 1/2 lightyear from Illythia

Isabella von Ravensburg sat in the throne like chair on the observation deck of the Iconoclast class destroyer Poison Moon brooding about the recent events that had taken place on Illythia. Nothing had gone according to plan, she had always known the opening of the portal was always going to be a long shot and one she wouldn't have risked if her plans had gone better, however the result had been far worse than she had thought possible thanks to that damned Saint. Now instead of throwing the sector even further into chaos all signs were that the accursed Imperials were going to end the civil war and restore order. The only slight silver lining was that the so called Saint had been forced to sacrifice herself to close the portal and so would no longer be able to interfere on behalf of the false God Emperor.

To make matters worse she had hardly come out of the affair unscathed. First she had been, well to put it bluntly, killed. Fortunately the phylactery she had prepared in which to store her soul just in case of such an event had worked, although as ever the price of using such sorcery was high. She was no longer as smart as she had once been, her thoughts which had once been quicksilver fast were now much more, well, mundane. She certainly wasn't stupid, but no longer did she possess the genius level intellect she had once had. That could prove to be a problem in the long run. On the other hand however she had become physically tougher and stronger than before the sorcerous restoration of her life, something which had never exactly  been her strong point. Perhaps she would need to rely more on brute force rather than cunning in the future.

The changes to her body and intellect, not to mention the loss of her brother, were not the only consequences to her actions on Illythia. The extreme warp forces she had handled and manipulated while attempting to unleash hell on the planet had changed her, she could feel it, her body was mutating. Hopefully the knowledge from the Tome of Shadows would enable her to guide the changes to something useful. And that was another change, she no longer needed to open the book to use it, the information and spells within it's ancient pages was just there now, whenever she needed it. All she had to do was think about something and the relevant material would be there in her mind, it could be distracting but very useful and might compensate for her loss of intellect from the spells that had saved her life.

It had been worth it though, the feeling, the power she had held whilst in command of the portal was frankly exhilerating, she had felt like a Goddess, nothing had been impossible or so it had seemed. She would give anything to experience such power again... suddenly she stiffened her back arching in ecstasy as vast quantities of dark knowledge flooded through her brain; that might actually be possible...

Isabella came out of her trance as her daughter and disciple Katarina came onto the observation deck followed by the heretical Mechanicus Magos Tapharya.

"the activation of your brothers clone is proceeding according to schedule" said the Magos in her rasping, metallic voice. "and your disciple's mission to recover his equipment was successfully carried out."

Isabella looked at Katarina who nodded in agreement.

"we were able to recover his armour and sword from the Arbites storage vault without too much trouble." Said Katarina, "unfortunately there was no way to conceal our raid, they will almost certainly suspect our involvement and that you are still alive."

"very well." Replied Isabella as she rose from her seat, "that could not be helped. Now set course for the Dioskor system, we have many preparations to make..."

Without another word Isabella turned and strode purposefully from the chamber towards her private quarters, leaving Katarina to stare at her retreating form in amazement at the sudden change in the Sorceress from total despondency back to her former decisiveness.

Something caught the young disciple's eye, so Katarina stepped forward to the throne like chair and looked at the deck at the foot of the throne. A single word was somehow burned into the metal floor; ASCENSION.

Cortez

We will need to decide on venue.

Couple of possibilities in the north of England. I could try and book a few tables at Element games or I could probably get the use of the Scout Hut where I'm a leader.

Otherwise we could use a London venue such as one of darksphere stores.

MarcoSkoll

Ooooh... very nice. I look forward to event that I'm not running for a change!

As far as venue, I tried out Element Games this summer - I definitely mean to run something there myself at some point, but personal circumstances have delayed those plans.
They've got an excellent terrain selection, and the fact I could go back and swap stuff off the shelves was great for Inquisitor; it's one of the few venues that's given me the capacity to swap from a city market one game to a graveyard the next.

It's also reasonably accessible from the London area; Stockport station is a major hub where expresses stop on the way into Manchester, so I can actually make it there in about the same time as I would WHW.

I'll also speak well of Dark Sphere's Shepherd's Bush Megastore; their Lambeth store was okay, but the Shepherd's Bush store does have the benefit of better on-site food (avec un supermarché dans le centre commercial c'est dedans) and without the entire overground rail traffic of London Waterloo rumbling overhead.

(The fact that I can get a direct train connection from my home town to within two hundred metres of Dark Sphere, meaning I don't have to get up nearly so early... that factor is merely coincidental in my interest).

I'll also add that WHW seem to have, last I heard, started to accept table bookings again.

Ultimately though, I'd say it's going to be entirely about availability. It's possible that people like Heroka or RobSkib might be able to make it to Manchester, but then I know we've got a number of interested people in the London area who are hoping for something to be put on.

I can put it out on the Facebook page, if you would like. (Traffic on the forum is a little slow, so FB seems to be the most convenient way for most people to get notifications. I'm reluctant to send around e-mails, as I've not actually sorted the forum's GDPR policy yet...).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

Location Location Location
Also dates and times, obviously.

I'm guessing I'll need to bring Samantha, given that she was involved in the events previous to this, so there's that (I won't need to prep any new minis, which is a blessing as I've already got one set of painting projects on the go as it is).

Obviously I'd prefer a more southern venue due to now living south of london, but WHW would be workable also - other spots are tentative, and dependant on expected start and end times for me to figure out how to correctly travel to and from the event. Plus whatever calendar events might or might not hop in the way.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Cortez

London is looking like the best option in many respects.

WHW is better for me obviously as I don't need to make a weekend of it and is kind of central, although I would be concerned about how many of my main characters won't be GW stock. I know they've never bothered in the past, but it would be a concern (and one that is non-existent elsewhere).

To some extent it would depend on who is interested, although I would like Jomar and co. around to finish off their grudge match.

Date wise, I had originally aimed this for December, but time has seemed to fly past and we're already at the end of October. So I'm looking at dates in January or February (unless people really want an event before Christmas).

Xenoserum

Stockport would be awesome for me as can get there with reasonable ease. London is just too far for me to get too really but understandable that could be there.
Love to be able to get playing again as still have all my teams.

Cortez

Quote from: Xenoserum on October 21, 2019, 05:01:50 PM
Stockport would be awesome for me as can get there with reasonable ease. London is just too far for me to get too really but understandable that could be there.
Love to be able to get playing again as still have all my teams.

Whereabouts do you live?

mcjomar

Good point about WHW and possible issues with non-GW minis - which brings up my alteration to my warband from my non-GW fast assassin to my slightly slower GW Barbaretta based cop character. I think she's painted, so still a non-issue, thank goodness.

But with parents near WHW (within an hour's drive), I can easily borrow a bed if that side of things turns out to be a better shout.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

TheNephew

I'd be happy with pretty much any of the above - given notice, I can get there.

Personally I also favour Dark Sphere though, because it's three or four hours closer to me and I pass there anyway.

Edite: Also, could someone refresh me on the events of The Saint?
Was that the LGT shenanigans?

Cortez

Yes that was the LGT which was a follow on from an even older event.

Mcjomar has a good battle report tgat covers most of it: http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2826.0

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Cortez on October 21, 2019, 06:52:42 PM
Yes that was the LGT which was a follow on from an even older event.
The Saint was the older event (back in 2011); Legacy was the LGT.

~~~~~

The overall background is the Ilithyian war, an extended conflict that was a bulwark against the forces of Chaos from the fallen Alkyia sector.

"The Saint" was the first event based around this conflict, where characters were asked to judge the worthiness of a potential living Saint, Corporal Aderyn Aeslin, who had miraculously returned to life after single handedly defending a key flank in the battle.
She was being thought of as a possible end to the war, but the event ended with Aderyn apparently being killed by a sabotaged orbital weapons satellite, causing a short but bloody civil war between believers and non-believers.

We returned there with "Legacy". By this point, High Cardinal Tobias Keidrow had managed to craft a fragile peace, having officially declared Aderyn a martyr. The religious fervour was enough that the Ilithyian conflict was starting to sway heavily in the Imperium's favour, raising the question of whether it would be possible to launch a retaliatory crusade.

By the middle of the event, it was revealed that Aderyn was still alive; she survived the orbital strike, but certain Inquisitors had taken the choice to hide her amongst the Adepta Sororitas, fearing that revealing her to be alive could destabilise the peace.
However, as *someone* had killed the High Cardinal in a suicide attack, the Inquisition decided that she needed to return as a figurehead; they started the arrangements for that, but that quickly got derailed by the immediate threat of the forces of Chaos establishing a warp portal (which could have significantly bolstered the dwindling Chaos forces).

Aderyn was again (apparently) killed in the attempt to stop Isabella taking control of that portal. (Given that Isabella had got so painfully close to succeeding, I figured there needed to be some significant payoff from it!)

Aderyn's involvement was never particularly widely known, but thanks to it, the Imperium did eventually purge Ilithyia of all but token Chaos resistance, and are now building up their forces for a crusade.

GW's =I= articles

TheNephew

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on October 21, 2019, 07:11:33 PM
However, as *someone* had killed the High Cardinal in a suicide attack...
Aderyn was again (apparently) killed in the attempt to stop Isabella taking control of that portal. (Given that Isabella had got so painfully close to succeeding, I figured there needed to be some significant payoff from it!)

Oops.
I do remember.

I have a handful of folks I can add to the 'band' from that day, who can easily do double service as hoity toity civilians or industrial scrubs.

mcjomar

So we're saying that Samantha is going to be entering a target rich environment?

Cortez

What are peoples thoughts on using the revised edition rules? Or should we just stick with the standard rules?

MarcoSkoll

Well, personally, I'd love to get to use IRE more, but the opinion of the main author isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

It is somewhat optional, of course; I endeavoured to keep IRE character sheets (mostly) back-compatible with 1st edition, in order that characters could be used in either without problems.

GW's =I= articles