Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Campaign day: Ascension. Date to be determined

Started by Cortez, October 20, 2019, 12:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcjomar

I'd be willing to try it, but it would be my first encounter with the updated rules.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

Van Helser

Hello all,

I would like to get some dice out at some point, having been super busy with real life in 2019.  Sometime in the new year aside from February 15th and 16th would be possible for me.  My travel plans will always require time, distance and thought so wherever is fine with me!

Ruaridh

PS - feel like last time there weren't enough overtly heretical characters involved. I will rectify that with my warband choice.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: mcjomar on October 25, 2019, 08:14:46 AM
I'd be willing to try it, but it would be my first encounter with the updated rules.
So far, I've found that most people adapt to IRE quickly. Some things take a bit of time to master (when to save and use reactions, although there are some minor changes to the WIP V0.4 that should help address that*), but the basics aren't that unfamiliar.

*In V0.4, all characters are granted one free Reserved reaction per game; while I like how storing reactions leads to a dynamic where characters can be either slow and careful, or throw caution to the wind, the intention is to shift the balance a bit towards the latter. Some players do end up cautiously storing a lot of reactions when it's not entirely necessary, but letting them have that one free reaction to fall back on should help keep things moving.
The other thing is that this lets me remove the rule about characters getting one free reaction before their first turn, which was in there but was such an incredibly specific fix for a very niche (but nonetheless important) problem that I wasn't happy with it; IRE as a revision has mostly tried to remove edge and corner cases, and has built many of its new rules by generalising previously more specific rules.

Actually, I'm honestly staggered how fast most people get a grasp on the new close combat system.

(That said, I'll admit that even I'm still sometimes thrown by IRE's "Price is Right" rolling, and often have to remind myself that a 02 isn't an excellent pass but a very marginal one... but while it is a bit counter-intuitive, it is massively faster to know that a pass on a 45 is a pass by 45, so it's stuck as a design decision).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Cortez

So date wise Saturday the 18th/25th Jan or 1st Feb are looking good for me. Otherwise I think it would need to be the end of February.

MarcoSkoll

I don't think I personally have issues with any of those dates as of yet.

Looking at Dark Sphere's calendar (if that's what we have in mind)...
- 18th Jan is a Magic Prerelease weekend; those tend to be very busy, but they're normally at their Waterloo store.
- 25th Jan has apparently got an Apocalypse event on at the Megastore. That might however still leave space.

They haven't yet got February up on their calendar, so I can't check that yet.

In either case, if you've got those in mind, I'd check early, as there may not be that much space available.

GW's =I= articles

TheNephew

Is Isabella still ascending?
I've just lost February 1st to a Malifaux tournament, so that's out for me.
I thiiiink I can still do late January in London though - trains are a bit nightmareish out of Brighton in January, don't want to commit to somethign further afield and find I have to leave on Thursday to arrive for 09:30 on Sautrday.

But if anyone fancies some Malifaux on February 1st, pop down to the Brighton Breach. Shop has a pizza oven that is dead good.

Cortez

Yes Isabella is still planning to ascend but the portents and omens are currently unfavourable. Things might be bettter towards the end of February.

Cortez

I was  hoping the Vovid thing would have been over by now, but the govt still seems to be dithering and holding the lockdown button. However what are peoples thoughts on trying to get this campaign day in before Christmas?

Venue is going to be the biggest problem. I don't know where is open or what the rules and restrictions will be. One option is the scout hut where I'm a leader, the advantage of this is that we can basically set our own rules to some extent and there is no restriction on how long we run. Central Lancashire may not be the best option for some people though.

Let me know your thoughts on other possible venues and weekends when you are available.

MarcoSkoll

It's difficult to say.

As much as I would love to be gaming again, I've lost friends to the pandemic - and with others in my normal social circles still suffering long term symptoms many months on (with no clear indication when or even if these symptoms will ever fully fade), I'm not of a mind to take the virus lightly, even when it comes to the small scope of our events.

If it does go ahead, for me it's going to be a question of what the risks are at the time (it's highly likely there'll be a second wave late in the year, so it may simply be a dangerous time, or entirely impossible depending on restrictions) and what measures we can have in place to minimise the risk.

(With this in mind, I really do need to write up my photogrammetry guides and see if I can organise a virtual game).

GW's =I= articles