Author Topic: A level of confusion  (Read 25 times)

Offline FreezyGeek

• Initiate
A level of confusion
« on: December 03, 2019, 06:56:25 PM »
I've never played before, bar a single, failed, and retconned game, but I'm not quite sure where Inquisitor stands in terms of roleplay.
I understand that it has more roleplay focus than, say, Inquisimunda, that might only have as much roleplay as an average more narrative
focused skirmish game, e.g like an orc in kill team rushing in with a less-tactical approach.

Equally, I understand it's less roleplay focused than a TTRPG. It fits in somewhere in-between, and I like that concept. Focus on characters,
but less actual "Roleplayed" out scenarios.

But this has kind of confused me in terms of scenario writing. How would a non-combat orientated scenario tend to play out? Because, the
assumption I have come to, is that there needs to be an obvious conflict even if there's no all-out fight like in a skirmish game; Smaller
narrative conversations either being used to introduce a scenario or otherwise taking place out of the game. Am I correct?

Offline TheNephew

• Inquisitor Lord
Re: A level of confusion
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 11:00:09 PM »
Most of the scenarios I've played over the years start with an ostensibly "non-combat" encounter between several parties that have entirely incompatible goals, so that use of force to achieve the desired outcome is necessary. I think if you want to run a conflict-free scenario but want the miniatures and terrain there for visual effect, you can probably dispense with the rules entirely unless/until the conversation turns sour.
There's a certain amount of characters running around shouting at each other, having conspiratorial conversations in alleys, and watching warily. Then something sparks violence.

Frequently it's something as direct as Planck must "stop the message being delivered by any means necessary", Isabella believes "it is vital to our ongoing project that the confidential message is delivered", and Skoll "must learn the contents of the message, one way or another".

Inevitably Magos Planck and evil horror-witch Isabella must come to blows - either after a fruitless verbal confrontation in which Planck tries to convince or intimidate the messenger into handing over the message, or a far more logical ambush with gun servitors.
If Planck can spot and recognise him in time, Inquisitor Skoll might be convinced to help Plank in exchange for the details of the message, on the proviso that he doesn't immediately toddle off and tell the intended recipient.
Alternatively, Inquisitor Skoll might help Isabella break through the blockade only to try and mug the messenger later, kidnap them in the chaos, pickpocket them, or even just ask what it's all about and maybe trust Isabella to tell him the truth.

We often play 4-player scenarios, so even during the fight there's banter and barter between comrade-in-arms, and antagonising or negotiating with people trying to kill you.