Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Virtual Inquisitor gaming

Started by MarcoSkoll, April 03, 2020, 01:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inquisitor_Snarf

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on January 28, 2021, 01:35:57 AM
So, I'm looking for volunteers who are willing to get involved in the near future. We'll organize an exact date and time once we know who's available.

Count me in as an audience member if you get a game going.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: mcjomar on February 02, 2021, 06:17:43 PMNot sure what selection of minis I could photograph (I'm assuming a max of three?)
Three seems like a good number for a test game; events have shown that it's enough to provide tactical options (and a bit of a buffer against just getting knocked out turn two) without bogging things down, and I'm sure we'll have technical issues to deal with to start.

More could certainly be an option in the long run though; I'm hoping that remote gaming means it'll be possible to run stories on a less packed schedule than our typical gaming days.

Quoteand I only have a phone to work with for photos, so quality would be poor at best.
I've seen impressive photogrammetry done with iPhones and the like, so poor quality is by no means assured. I'll be offering guidelines on photographic technique.

Quote from: Inquisitor_Snarf on February 03, 2021, 12:29:42 AMCount me in as an audience member if you get a game going.
I believe that TTS is limited to eight people per session, and after players and a GM, I think I'd run out of spaces with all the spectator requests I've got going (although it is possible that not everyone will be available at the same time).

So I don't currently know what the deal will be with spectators, but assuming all goes well, I am planning to be able to screen capture the game and upload it afterwards.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor_Snarf

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 03, 2021, 04:08:50 AM
I believe that TTS is limited to eight people per session, and after players and a GM, I think I'd run out of spaces with all the spectator requests I've got going (although it is possible that not everyone will be available at the same time).

So I don't currently know what the deal will be with spectators, but assuming all goes well, I am planning to be able to screen capture the game and upload it afterwards.

No worries, Either way, I am stoked this is going forward!

Mentirius

I was tempted to volunteer for this myself, but there are so many reasons I'd have been a terrible candidate...  No existing Inquisitor characters, twentyish years of rust on the rules side, poor understanding of the IT side, two weekly RPG campaigns and a writing project to make regular time for already, etc.  I am however very interested in the prospect of online Inquisitor gaming once you have all the creases ironed out, and will certainly be watching any videos of the test game that may be available afterwards.  The temptation to buy some paints and kitbash a new warband purely to digitise them continues to rise...

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Mentirius on February 03, 2021, 05:00:22 PMtwentyish years of rust on the rules side
This is not so much of an issue as you might think.

Although it has a reputation for being complex, I've actually found that Inquisitor is a game that's easy to get into under the auspices of a competent GM. There's very few rules about things like "the movement phase is before the shooting phase", "only one attack action per turn", or anything like that.

As a general thing, a player can try whatever they want, and the GM can juggle the modifiers for it. I've seen rusty and novice players contribute just as much to a game as seasoned veterans.

GW's =I= articles

TheNephew

How's this project going?

Following Marco's point re: rusty players, I've been carried through every one of the half dozen events I've been to over the last decade more by competent GMs than by my own rules knowledge - one of the big advantages of a percentile system is that a lot of it is straightforward to explain if you know the rules, and easy to grok if you need them explained to you.

MarcoSkoll

I do hope to get to it, although I've recently built a new computer, and having to organise and install that up has bogged down a lot of my projects.

I did a video about the photogrammetry software prior to swapping systems, I just need to trim out various bits.

GW's =I= articles

Cortez

I'm still interested in this although the lack of a decent computer is a problem at the moment.

greenstuff_gav

as i've been trying TTS for AoS i'd certainly be interested - would need a guide though as my first attempt (at a Burrows+Badgers mini) was ... interesting :lol:
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

MarcoSkoll

Unfortunately, my wrist/hand is still pretty bad, so I've not been able to finish a proper guide myself, but I have seen that Goonhammer has recently published an article series about photogrammetry for Tabletop Simulator.

I'm not sure I necessarily agree with all the method myself - personally I think the photographic set up is quite involved, and I think Zephyr's Masquerade tool is better suited for masking than Photoshop - but I thought I'd share it so others can try it if they like it.

~~~~~

(My own photography method is written up here, and may be a bit more accessible, as it's intended to make use of a simpler backdrop and diffuse natural light. However, the stuff about actually working the programs in the Goonhammer guide should be helpful in its own right).

GW's =I= articles

TheNephew

I don't plan on getting into TTS, but a number of folks at Salute mentioned that they were when they stopped by the table - posting the thread link and some of those camera set-up photos could garner a fair bit of interest from the FB pages.

Charax

I need way more practice with TTS but it could be a great way to get more games in - maybe in a virtual event or how-to-play videos
(No longer} The guy with his name at the bottom of the page

MarcoSkoll

I'm not sure I'd personally handle it quite as virtual play like our standard events, as it becomes a lot more practical to run an intricate narrative if you're not forced to try to ram together as many games in a short time before every one goes home again; you can run one game, take the time to write the next part of the story, then have another session in a week or three.

And yes, I have certainly considered it for How to Play guides. And also yes, I should actually share that stuff on FB.

GW's =I= articles