Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inq28 models from older 40k RT era minis

Started by monkhmer, October 18, 2009, 09:06:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkhmer

I have scads of 40k RT era minis from an old army buddy of mine.   Most are pretty banged up and or poorly painted.  Here are few that I'd like to convert to something more Inquisitor in style.  I would like to get your opinions and advice on how to go about it.  At the moment I live in Korea and have no GW store within hours of travel.  There is a Gundam model store near my work though so there are modeling stores for paint and tools.  I would prefer to work inexpensively.  I am really only considering this because I have a week of holiday and thought it might be a good way to get some experience.

Thanks in advance.

Here I'd like to pin these Lightning Claws onto this plastic beakie SM.  I know the Crux Terminatus will draw the scorn of many so I'd like to know any ideas on how to convert it.

This one I want to be an Inquisitor or an acolyte.  Again, it's a plastic mini with metal Termie Lightning Claws.  On this one I was thinking I'll need to change the backpack/powerplant to look much less Astartes.  Some ideas on how to get rid of the Ken doll hair and get him to look more like a hard-ass Tigurius type would rock.  Bringing up some sort of gorget would be a good addition to the power armour.

I think the bionic would be OK but needs refinement.  The skin would have to be more pallid of course.

I've got a few busted up plastic Khornates from another friend I could scavenge for skulls and spikey bits to accessorize the armour a bit more too.

Pretty easy here, I just want to put the Chainfist on this beakie to make an assault marine.  Or maybe swap a Khornate (sans helmet) head in there and make another Inquisitor or acolyte.

These last few models I'm a bit unsure about.  They seem pretty darn old.  Older than the plastic beakies for sure.  Look at that Heavy Bolter!  The helmets are quite odd also, they seem narrower than the newer models.  These might make good conversion fodder.  But are all metal so the tools/time to alter them will probably be much more involved?

Thanks and "yes" I think Lightning Claws and Power Armour are very, very cool. 
(I don't care who would win in a fight between the Emperor and Horus though.)

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: monkhmer on October 18, 2009, 09:06:01 AM
I know the Crux Terminatus will draw the scorn of many so I'd like to know any ideas on how to convert it.

actually, Codex: Ultramarines says that Veterans trained in the use of Terminator Armour are allowed to wear the Crux on their power armour; some of the old metal marines had the crux on their shoulderpad...

These last few models I'm a bit unsure about.  They seem pretty darn old.  Older than the plastic beakies for sure.  Look at that Heavy Bolter! 

the metals are 2nd edition 40k; so younger than the plastic beakies (who are known as RTB01's.. Rogue Trader Box 01)
i'd invest in some Focus Paint Stripper for the metals (take the arms / backpacks off!) and some of Phoenix Paints Superstrip for the plastics and all of 'em will be good as new (just be sure to read the instructions!)  ;D
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Saussure

The trouble with your terminator arms is that the shoulder pads are too big (and of a different design) for a normal Marine. If you're going to attach them, I'd remove the Lightning Claws and attach them to normal Marine arms. Given that the RTB01 Marines are marginally smaller than current (or even 2nd edition) Marines, I expect that the difference will be even more stark.

However, if you disagree then, as Gav says, there is nothing wrong with a power-armoured Marine bearing the Crux Terminatus on their shoulder.

Herodotus Benedict Saussure
Ordo Hereticus Terran
Forum Moderator

Simeon Blackstar

(I don't care who would win in a fight between the Emperor and Horus though.)

I'd suggest we already know who would win that one, and did!  ;D

It looks like you've got some good conversions on the go there.  I don't know if I can really give you much more advice than Gav or Saussure has on the modelling front.  I'd say though that while these Marines could be suitable for representing an Inquisitor and his Marine bodyguard in 40k or for display, I don't think they'd fit the Inquisitor game system particularly well.  Marines tend to bulldoze most opposition that can be raised against them, and a team equipped like this is going to be exceedingly nasty.  Once you factor in all the enemies they'll need, games of Inquisitor are likely to slow to a crawl and become a bit boring for both parties - you as your guys face no real challenge, and your opponent as his guys all get messily slaughtered in short order.

precinctomega

If you want to use these guys for INq28, then adding terminator arms is quite the wrong route to take.  Their big strength is that they are quite different from the current SM range.  You should be mixing and matching the parts with othe plastic pieces, using the chest pieces as carapace breastplates, the arms on flak armour torsos and suchlike.  Get that razor saw out and remove the lightning claw from the arm - put it aside for use on a 54mm figure!

Go nuts.  Etc.

R.