Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Roof Top Chase, an Inquisitor Scenario.

Started by Kasthan, October 18, 2009, 12:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kasthan

This is the scenario I was going to use at the Grand Tournament, but now can not make it. So I thought I would provide a copy to the community. It is also a neat/expanded copy of the game I ran at the Oct 3rd meet up at WHW, with greenstuff gav and others.

Roof Top Chase, an Inquisitor Scenario.

This scenario was originally designed as an introduction to Inquisitor. However it has been expanded upon to include special rules and the like, making it more viable to more experienced players.

Background/Scene Setting:
Warband ‘A’ is on the run from Warband ‘B’ (and others if so desired). ‘A’s route of escape is on to the roof tops of the Hive building, and across to a beacon, valkyire, flyer or something of that nature. ‘B’ and the others are there to stop them.

Terrain/Set up:
The terrain obviously needs to be roof tops (the easiest way of doing this is getting together a large collection of buildings and stating the gaps between are deep, long drops to lower sections of the hive). Set the roof tops up so there is a selection of routes, a long route that is safe (bridges from building to building and walkways etc.) and a much shorter route that is very dangerous (large gaps where characters could fall to their deaths, small wobbly planks and chains to shimmy along come to mind) must be included on top of any others (the long route needs to be about three times longer than the short route). At the end of all the routes needs to be ‘A’s objective.
Warband ‘A’ needs to be placed on the long route about a quarter to a third of the way along (do ensure that the characters could not be charged in the first turn to get about the right distance). Warband ‘B’ and others need placing near the ‘start’ with a selection of routes available.

Main Rules:
Warband ‘A’ must try and reach their objective, this will end the game.
Warband ‘B’ and others roll for their objective:
D6: 1-3= Stop them by any means necessary, 4-6= Capture a random member of Warband ‘A’ (set by GM or roll for it)
All characters may start the game with what ever weapons they choose.

Special Rules:
These rules are not required but make for a much more interesting game.
Extra Objectives/Mission Parameters;
1.   Warband ‘A’ must get a set character to their objective.   
2.   There are only a set number of turns until Warband ‘A’s transport leaves (GM to inform players before hand, be generous as the dice will always be against the players, for an extra twist the GM could choose to let only Warband ‘A’ know)
3.   The GM could assign special objectives to warbands/characters.
Weather Conditions;
•   Howling Winds. The wind is up and blasting across the mile high roof, causing all to search for shelter. At the start of the game roll a scatter dice take that as the direction of the wind. Anyone who is exposed at the end of the turn (e.g. not standing behind a wall, not wearing correct weather gear etc.) must take a toughness test or suffer D6 damage to their injury total (armour has no effect, except power armour ). In addition sound become distorted and lost on the wind, hearing rates are halved.
•   Low Cloud/Rising Steam. Fog type vapours roll across the table occasionally causing characters to disappear from view. Roll 2D6 after each character’s turn on 11-12, the character is lost from view to all. Models with Infrascopes (or similar) may ignore this rule.
•   Acid Rain. Falling on the roof tops is acid rich rain burning any character that is exposed. At the end of the turn characters take D3 damage to all exposed locations (armour counts thus locations with armour value three or greater need not roll) and if any damage is taken the character needs to pass a nerve test or dive for cover from the rain.
•    Other affects may wish to be considered (have a look at Environmental Conditions by Stephan Pearson). Alter them to apply to what you might find on a very, very high roof top.
About two conditions create interesting effects; more I have found slow the game down.

Enjoy!

C&C + Questions welcome.

DapperAnarchist

Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

TheNephew

I would have thought rising steam would have been even more of a pain to those with thermal imaging kit than those without...
I quite like the look of these, though I'd expected to see more of a 'Rolling Road' style game, since it's a chase scene.

Kasthan

The steam rules were designed to simulate low cloud and the like that blows across the hive top, but you could change them to suit your purposes.
Also the reason it is not a 'rolling road' game was to fit it onto a 6' X 4' at WHW and to make it easy as an intro game (so the players can see where their characters are heading for). Again you could alter the rules to have a 'rolling road'.

Below is an example of how I would set the board up. The red route is the longer, safe route. Were as a player could jump between building or use the less safe equipment (pink bits).

TheNephew

Artfully constructed.
I think that could work nicely as a first game - and it will also set players up to continue considering rooftops and unconventional routes during normal games.
Covering the unusual movement rules and such is good as well for relatively inexperienced players.

precinctomega

I read the title as "roof-top cheese" and got very confused.

I like the idea very much (have played many variations on it, myself).  Why not write it up in more detail and more neatly for Dark Magenta?

R.

Kasthan

If you think it would be fitting, I will do. Just thinking on where to get good images from, might be a trip to WHW.

(Greenstuff Gav if your reading this could it be possible to set up a sub forum for Scenarios? Allow players to post up successful games they wish to share?)

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: Kasthan on October 21, 2009, 03:26:53 PM
(Greenstuff Gav if your reading this could it be possible to set up a sub forum for Scenarios? Allow players to post up successful games they wish to share?)

i'd recommend using the malnourished In The Field section for scenarios 'till i've asked Saussure what he'd like (he's the boss, i just work here :lol: ) ;)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Kasthan

Ok, will do next time I come up with a new scenario. Thanks Gav.

Heroka Vendile

nicely presented, add a little bit of spit and polish, stick in some appropriate photos and it'll make for a good article as Robey suggests.

Personally I would run howling winds a bit differently, maybe something like this:

•   Howling Winds - The wind is up and blasting across the mile high roof, causing all to search for shelter. At the start of the game roll a scatter dice take that as the direction of the wind.
Anyone who is exposed from that direction at the end of the characters turn (e.g. not standing fully behind a wall, tower, etc.) must take a strength test or they will be moved D3 (or D6-1 depending on how evil a GM you are) yards in the direction of the wind. They will come to a stop if this brings them into contact with another character or item of scenery. If this movement would cause them to fall off an edge, then they must take an unmodified initiative test, if passed then the character is placed at the edge of the structure and is now hanging on for dear life. If failed, then the character falls (apply falling damage as normal or remove character from play depending on the situation).
Any character who fails the initial strength test (even if they do not actually move in the case of the D6-1) looses all aiming and concentration bonuses they may have had.
In addition sound becomes distorted and lost on the wind, hearing rates are halved.

For me this gives a better impression of swirling, unpredictable winds, as it means the characters aren't all being effected at once, but individually as the strength of the winds wax and wane randomly. Plus it introduces new strategic factors such as forcing characters to try and stay in cover from the wind that could topple them to their doom and it adds excitement as you roll to see if your character will be quick witted enough to grab onto the ledge as they tumble over.

edit: "toughness" replaced with "strength"
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

greenstuff_gav

just a quick note, but thought it best that scenarios go into In The Field :)

feel free to use any of the (crappy) pics i took of the scenario  ;)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Kasthan

Quote from: Heroka Vendile on October 22, 2009, 06:41:34 PM
nicely presented, add a little bit of spit and polish, stick in some appropriate photos and it'll make for a good article as Robey suggests.

Personally I would run howling winds a bit differently, maybe something like this:

•   Howling Winds - The wind is up and blasting across the mile high roof, causing all to search for shelter. At the start of the game roll a scatter dice take that as the direction of the wind.
Anyone who is exposed from that direction at the end of the characters turn (e.g. not standing fully behind a wall, tower, etc.) must take a toughness test or they will be moved D3 (or D6-1 depending on how evil a GM you are) yards in the direction of the wind. They will come to a stop if this brings them into contact with another character or item of scenery. If this movement would cause them to fall off an edge, then they must take an unmodified initiative test, if passed then the character is placed at the edge of the structure and is now hanging on for dear life. If failed, then the character falls (apply falling damage as normal or remove character from play depending on the situation).
Any character who fails the initial toughness test (even if they do not actually move in the case of the D6-1) looses all aiming and concentration bonuses they may have had.
In addition sound becomes distorted and lost on the wind, hearing rates are halved.

For me this gives a better impression of swirling, unpredictable winds, as it means the characters aren't all being effected at once, but individually as the strength of the winds wax and wane randomly. Plus it introduces new strategic factors such as forcing characters to try and stay in cover from the wind that could topple them to their doom and it adds excitement as you roll to see if your character will be quick witted enough to grab onto the ledge as they tumble over.

Nice idea, I really like it.
It could have both, change the original to something like 'Icy Blast', and incorporate your idea. However I think a strength test, rather than toughness, would be more fitting as the character battles against the wind.

Heroka Vendile

Ah yes, I'd meant to say strength rather than toughness. Not sure what mental aberration caused that.

Perhaps "Toxic Vapour" would be a suitable renaming for the original?
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy