Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

'Narce' Romanov painted

Started by Hadriel Caine, November 02, 2009, 04:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hadriel Caine

Captain Narcissus Romanov is my latest RP character for Inquisitor.

I have detailed some of his background (ideas at least) in a thread before. I am now at a stage where I can begin assembling the model. He will be 54mm, which is a nice return to a favoured medium for me.
I will be using the Naval Bosun's torso (courtesy of kierkegaard) combined with some rather superb home-sculpted legs, courtesy of RTD.

I'm a little stumped in terms of what head I want to use, I have been looking at the Hornet Heads on Historex, but am open to other suggestions.

I also need to find a nice big, holstered naval pistol and a nice looking plain sword.

Advice on sculpting bionics, rings etc. would be nice, I seem to remember Gav did a tutorial but I can't seem to find it.

I want him to appear foppish but grizzled and capable as well. almost a grimdark Lord Flashheart I guess!

progress shots soon, I would really appreciate feedback on this one guys,

yours Inquisitively

Adam
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Hadriel Caine

People don't seem to like threads without pictures it seems... the Royal mail is currently failing at delivering the bodyguard especially quickly.

I've been looking at heads from hornet in more detail today.

I'm tempted by the one in the middle from this set.

OR

the head on the far right of this set.

thoughts?

Adam
The Fall of Astraea

Adlan

A grim dark Lord Flashhear sounds very cool, giving him facial hair?

Alyster Wick

I'd go with the second head you mentioned (the one on the far right).  It looks appropriately foppish but couldn't help but look grizzled on the Bosun's torso (too beefy to be weak).

Hadriel Caine

@ Adlan - am thinking about it. Just got hold of Yan van Yastobaal's head so I'm going to try that although I agree with Alyster Wick on the hornet head and think I will probably do that!

Adam
The Fall of Astraea

Ynek

As far as sculpting bionics goes, you can't go far wrong with plastruct's fineline styrene rod, styrene tube and styrene sheets.

Really, for good old 'terminator' style bionics, which are mostly made of pistons, you just put a piece of rod inside a piece of tubing with an ID slightly larger than the rod's OD, and you get a nice looking piston for virtually no effort.

However, plastruct only accept orders over $20 and since they have to cross the Atlantic, they are rather slow on shipping.

Another alternative, which I often use is to use the plastic tubes from cotton buds with a piece of paperclip. By adding a tiny blob of green stuff and glue to the tip of the paperclip, and then insering it into the tube, you can create a passable piston, which look good as bionic components.

For bionic eyes, the only bit that really needs any explanation is the lens. To create a bionic lens, just take a short (1-2mm or so) piece of narrow plastic tube (For models such as the hive maiden, I used cotton bud tube) and press it into a 1mm thick sheet of stretched green stuff. As the greenstuff moves down the thin section of tube, it should make a perfectly smooth domed lens.

Sculpting a ring is a very easy thing to do (assuming that the model's hand is closed around a weapon or somesuch). Simply lay a very narrow sausage across the finger in question and use a sharp hobby knife to cut into the GS on the divide between the character's fingers. This creates the basic ring. Use a sculpting tool to fine tune she shape, and cut away any excess with a hobby knife.

As for looking like a grimdark fop... How about an Edwardian wig and powdered face with a black painted-on "beauty spot".
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Morcus

They sell plastruct in most model shops I've been too and normally you can buy individual pieces.

With bionics you really need to think hard about what you want the finished result to be.

Hadriel Caine

I've decided against bionics, for now.

The Royal Mail strike ended today and I received my bosun! HUZZAH.

Lots of conversion work gone into this so far:

feet from Covenant, Greaves from RTD's Arbite, Torso and upper legs from the bosun, high tech wrist from Artemis and some CoD sprues, left arm from civil war mini, right hand from Gruss, Left hand from a ghoul, pistol holster from Eisenhorn, gubbins from Cities of Death and Guard accessories.

I have ordered the second head option from Hornet (via Historex) I think I will leave the character bald as I don't have a bald character and want to experiment with painting stubble.

thoughts?

Adam
The Fall of Astraea

Myriad

Looking good thus far.  Bald should suit him.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

theemperorswill

wicked, adam. but would expect nothing less.
the emperors will be done

kierkegaard

Nice work Adam. I'm glad that it finally arrived (only a week late hmm?) If I had known your plans, I would have sent you a bootless leg section to save you the cutting job (and leave the peice available to trade with someone who wanted an intact Bodyguard leg section.) Oh well...

RobSkib

Either bald or a fabulous Lord Flasheart 'do would suit him perfectly.
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Hadriel Caine

cheers guys

@ Kierkegaard- lol that would imply that I plan things...

@ RobSkib- LOVE IT but I think bald... Flashheart nature to come through RP I think.

I have swapped out the pistol for something even cooler, IMO. Will try to remember to take some pictures if I can find a camera and a light bulb tonight...
The Fall of Astraea

RobSkib

Okay, how about just the ruff then? :P He needs something really flamboyant like a mustache or frilly sleeves!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Hadriel Caine

URGH. £8 on Hornet Heads and they are waaay to small. The Historex site isn't especially helpful in terms of suggesting what is and isn't 1:32/1:35.

Just got to come up with another plan then I guess...
The Fall of Astraea