Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The Revised Inquisitor Armoury

Started by MarcoSkoll, August 02, 2009, 06:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inquisitor Cade

I had another thought when looking at Inquistor Aralt. A pistol with a burst function, liked the (I think iy's called) Berreta 93r. This would give a more moderate autopistol option, and fill a gap in what there is so far.
*Insert token witticism*

Ynek

I'll admit that I was initially very sceptical about this project, but now that I see the quality of the ideas you've come up with, you've converted me.

However, I have one small question - Are you only intending to cover firearms, or are you intending to have a look at rewriting any of the other armoury sections? [Combat stimms, toxins, close combat weapons, etc.]
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

MarcoSkoll

@Ynek: Well, that's a major complement.

As for your question, my expertise is only really in the area of firearms. While I would be capable of looking at other areas, I don't think I could do drugs and poisons the justice a biologist could, or CCWs the attention a sword-fighting enthusiast could.

When I set out, I only really intended to do firearms. If when I get to the end of that, people are interested in seeing my take on other things, I may continue. But, as I say, there are probably people more qualified to work on these other things.

@Inquisitor Cade: Suggestion taken on board and implemented.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Ynek

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on August 22, 2009, 12:04:14 AM
As for your question, my expertise is only really in the area of firearms. While I would be capable of looking at other areas, I don't think I could do drugs and poisons the justice a biologist could, or CCWs the attention a sword-fighting enthusiast could.

I understand what you're saying. From what I've heard you say in various topics, I know that you're a pretty knowledgeable firearms enthusiast and tend to take the issues of ranged weapons pretty seriously. It would only be fair that if anyone does any rules for close combat weapons, toxins or whatever so have that same enthusiasm for the relevant topic.

What you said about a biologist writing rules for toxins has tickled my inspiration bone... And I may well be opening a word document within the next few minutes.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Dust King

Same here, I thought the existing toxins were good but they could use a bit more variety. Personally though I've always had a bit of an issue with the biomancy powers, there really isn't anything that original or interesting there, I've been tinkering with a couple of ideas, could possibly work as toxins.

eg. cytokine storm: difficulty 30: setting off a chain reaction in the targets body their own immune system begins to attack them. At the start of each turn the target takes a toughness test, until they fail a test they add D6 to their injury total and subtract D10 from their toughness. 

Just something I've been playing around with, not sure if I'll ever do anything with it. (I've got heaps of half finished -][- stuff on my computer)

Ynek

Quote from: Dust King on August 22, 2009, 04:53:51 AM
Same here, I thought the existing toxins were good but they could use a bit more variety. Personally though I've always had a bit of an issue with the biomancy powers, there really isn't anything that original or interesting there, I've been tinkering with a couple of ideas, could possibly work as toxins.

eg. cytokine storm: difficulty 30: setting off a chain reaction in the targets body their own immune system begins to attack them. At the start of each turn the target takes a toughness test, until they fail a test they add D6 to their injury total and subtract D10 from their toughness. 

Just something I've been playing around with, not sure if I'll ever do anything with it. (I've got heaps of half finished -][- stuff on my computer)

Those rules are very similar to the X3 toxin that I wrote for my O.A character a while back on the old 'clave.

However, to comment on your cytokine-based toxin, I think that it's worth mentioning that simply activating the immune system would not be enough to cause an autoimmune reaction. The negative selection process in the thymus prohibits this in healthy humans. Also, even in a complete autoimmune disease where every T cell reacts to self-antigens, it takes several months, if not years to kill someone. In addition, I don't think that the toxin would work very well against non-humans, as their immune triggers are unlikely to be the same as our own.

DapperAnarchist

BUT! It would be a cool explanation - and make at least as much sense as Lasweapons or Meltaguns...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Ynek on August 22, 2009, 03:35:10 AMI know that you're a pretty knowledgeable firearms enthusiast and tend to take the issues of ranged weapons pretty seriously.
You could say that. I'm currently working for a contractor who's developing a less-lethal weapon for the US military.

QuoteIt would only be fair that if anyone does any rules for close combat weapons, toxins or whatever so have that same enthusiasm for the relevant topic.
It's more from the angle of simply being sensible. Even without taking enthusiasm into account, I don't know those subjects so well, so I can't do them the same kind of justice as I can firearms.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone with experience with blades putting something into the CCWs - "Sword" is a bit generic, and can be used to cover everything from rapiers to claymores!

QuoteWhat you said about a biologist writing rules for toxins has tickled my inspiration bone... And I may well be opening a word document within the next few minutes.
Sounds good.

GW's =I= articles

Dust King

I originally thought up cytokine storm as a new biomancy power, I've always thought that if a biomancer could regenerate someone then they could also ruin their body's systems, instead they throw lightening at them, I always thought that they needed some attack powers which fit more with manipulating someone's body.

Simeon Blackstar

Quote from: Ynek on August 22, 2009, 02:50:33 PM
Quote from: Dust King on August 22, 2009, 04:53:51 AM

Those rules are very similar to the X3 toxin that I wrote for my O.A character a while back on the old 'clave.

However, to comment on your cytokine-based toxin, I think that it's worth mentioning that simply activating the immune system would not be enough to cause an autoimmune reaction. The negative selection process in the thymus prohibits this in healthy humans. Also, even in a complete autoimmune disease where every T cell reacts to self-antigens, it takes several months, if not years to kill someone. In addition, I don't think that the toxin would work very well against non-humans, as their immune triggers are unlikely to be the same as our own.

It might not trigger an auto-immune reaction, which would take quite a while to affect people, but the biomancy power and/or toxin could certainly initiate a massive immune response, leading to widespread inflammation, shock/anaphylaxis, coughing, sneezing, choking etc..  Think the reaction you get when someone with allergies gets stung by a wasp, holds a cat, gets dust blown in their face etc., but amplified.  Could be a nice idea to add to the armoury!  :)

BeardMonk

Revising the CC weapons.  Now theres a project....
Life is short, but the doom is long

Kaled

Personally, I've always thought Charax & Helst's Custom Close Combat Weapon rules to be very good as you can use them to represent all sorts of different types of sword etc.

http://www.freewebs.com/closecombatweapons/index.htm
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Daxam

Just had a quick flick over the file. Really well done, it's brilliant. Love the new ammunition types and the equippable stuff for weapons. It seems a little light on the Battle Rifles though. But other than that, I can't say anything against it.
I seek a perfection. I won't attain it. But it is a lofty enough goal for my ego.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Daxam on August 28, 2009, 09:40:07 AMIt seems a little light on the Battle Rifles though.
It was always going to be. Most things that could be described as battle rifles are similar enough in most respects that trying to differentiate between them on a somewhat abstract statline would result in profiles that didn't differ enough to be worth doing.

That said, I am making a minor adjustment to one of the rifles in the next update. The Bolt Action rifle is dropping a point of damage, but also coming down slightly on encumbrance in order to try and put a little more distance between the two.

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor Cade

But then it will be almost exactly the same as the hunting rifle. I'd leave it and if people want a light bolt action rifle then the hunting rifle is already there.
*Insert token witticism*