Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Xerxas and Warband revamp

Started by RobSkib, November 10, 2009, 10:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobSkib

I know it looks a bit hefty, but I havn't even got near to having him finished :P I have a trusty plastic IG bipod from the heavy weapons team sprue just in case my GS work goes tits-up, but I want to at least try and make him look butch enough to lug that huge thing around on his own.
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

precinctomega

I rather liked the way the banner was on backwards.  First, it meant that it didn't look odd because it lacked the natural "flop" forwards.  Second, it gives it a bit more of a distinctive, characteristic feel, rather than looking like everyone else.

There aren't enough back-banners in INQ, IMO.

R.

Tyrant

Quote from: Van Helser on November 13, 2009, 06:52:00 PM
He looks good, but isn't the banner facing the wrong way?  The vertical pole should surely be on the back of the pennant, no?

Also, I think that even bulking up the mean-looking dude won't quite make that particular heavy bolter a believable weapon for him.  It's friggin' huge! I think either a bi-pod or some suspensors would be a good addition.

I saw that too but thought that it actual works both ways... the shape of the banner is more suited to facing the way it is.

Do you remember how the heavy machine guns were suported in alien?
They had a belt with a mechanical arm that took all the weight and balanced the weapon so they didnt break their back whilst running about.
AKA SquareWave

Simeon Blackstar

I think it's in about the same scale as Sgt Harker's heavy bolter.  Jaxon's a bit small to be doing that though - Harker's a proper giant.  You might be better off just sculpting the chest from scratch if you're going to add musculature anyway and saving the torso for another model, but you might be able to make the legs big enough by extending between the knee and the top of the boot by a few mm, and perhaps at the thigh too.  There was a tutorial for it in the Exterminatus magazine with the Pathfinder (and Kal/'Krash').

On the upside, you've made me finally decide to do something about the heavy bolter sitting sadly in my own collection!  ;D

Myriad

Hmm.  I didn't notice anything wrong with the back banner.

The heavy bolter does look a little too large at the moment, but not insurmountably so, with a bit of work.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Ynek

I love the Inquisitor! Great pose, great sense of motion, and the sculpting/modelling work on him is great so far!

However, I'm not too sure about the heavy bolter at the moment. It still looks incredibly big for the model, and his pose doesn't really convey the sense of weight that I think it should.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

RobSkib

Thanks for all the comments, the Heavy Bolter guy has taken a bit of a back bench for the time being, I've finally got to a stage with Xerxas that I feel pleased to call finished! All he needs is a lick of paint - so please, if you see anything glaringly obvious, point it out!

Since last update, most effort has gone onto the backpack - there were concerns that the lasgun was out of proportion, so I up-sized the grip and added a powerpack and barrel from a 54mm lasgun, added slices of rubber band for a holster and stuck more gubbinz on around it.

The extended strap around his body that holds up his bolter came out a bit naff, but I don't want to replace it. What do you think?

+++++++

Adlan

That looks Fantastic, Just like an Inquisitor on the Move should. Gun at his side, Chainsword in hand, tome of forbidden law in his grasp.

Bag with all his clobber, looks very nice as well.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: RobSkib on November 21, 2009, 07:08:21 PMWhat do you think?
Who am I to argue with Mr. Illuminatus 2009? It looks great to me.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor Cade

Yeah, the bolter looks great from these angles, though from a practical point of veiw I'd suggest it should meet the bolter at both ends and run the length of it if that is possible (it certainly wouldn't be for me). As it is he wouldn't be able to move without it swinging all over the place.

I like what you.ve done with the backpack.
*Insert token witticism*

rourke

looks great, just the right amount of kit on him to look like he could live from his backpack and yet it doesnt overpower the model,
whats that coming out of the ground at his foot?

Kaled

Very nice work - your skills seem to be increasing in leaps and bounds.

What's the plan for his colour scheme?
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

kierkegaard

RobSkib

Update!

As you can see, I've made a start on Xerxas - picking the colour scheme was actually the hardest thing to do on him! I really really liked Saussure's Inquisitor Carter so I began to shamelessly riff on his colour scheme, starting with the burnished metal for the weapons and shoulderpads. However, as the day wore on, I chanced upon some more images of Inquisitors and settled on the green/grey/brown colour scheme that he's sporting at the moment. I quite like the earthy, natural tones - for some reason, Ordo Xenos strikes me as being green - and he still has a bit of elitist flair with the gold and red trim on his cape :)

Problem is though, I can't decide what to do on his back banner - I've never painted banners before (which is why I have so many spare in my bits box!) and my freehand leaves much to be desired, so I ask the Conclave for help! What on earth should he have proudly flapping around behind his head as he hacks people apart with his chainsword?

Speaking of which, I have one final competition for an internet cookie. I've writted 'FUCHELLIOS' on his chainsword, can anybody guess the reference?

Comments and criticisms are, as usual, very very welcome!

*EDIT*Oh yes, and in case you hadn't noticed, I left his bolter off whilst I painted the cloak. The bolter is painted the same way as the chainsword, with a nice lacquered wooden stock, I just havn't glued it on yet!

+++++++

theemperorswill

stunning work. all the more so, considering the work you`ve put into him. loving the cloak. great job
the emperors will be done