Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Xerxas and Warband revamp

Started by RobSkib, November 10, 2009, 10:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobSkib

Okay, so I've had this model lying around on my desk half finished for weeks now, which isn't in itself unusual if I know what has to be done, but in this case I'd just been utterly stumped as to what the model was going to become. At first I thought wandering missionary/priest, something akin to Adam Cunis' Davos Adscrati. Sans head and GS work, I eventually decided that he was going to become the next incarnation of my own personal Inquisitor, Amadeus Xerxas. He is literally the bounty hunter model with an extended hat, Dark Elf halberd and Tau pulse carbine bits added.

Armed a bit more humbly to represent his rough and ready appearance, I wanted my Inquisitor to be synonymous with everything I love about 40k and what better than the iconic bolter and chainsword. There is still loads of GS-work to do; a sash around his waist to cover the belt and the mess underneath it, a continuation of Eisenhorn's chest strap to sling the bolter onto (currently blu-tacked in the rough place where it will hang on the model), resculpting the mess I made of Eisenhorn's shoulder as I hacked it apart to get jackson's arm to fit to name the biggest!

Comments and criticisms most welcome as always.

An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Hadriel Caine

very dynamic pose there! like the protective curl of the arm around the book. where is the bolt gun from? could we get a close up? the GS looks very crisp... going to be watching this one!
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

theemperorswill

very cool. nice to see a model making use of the 40k metal banner. had the same idea for my marine wip. looking 4ward to seeing him finished
the emperors will be done

Adlan

Interesting to see another sgt stones/ esienhorn hybrid. Looks great and looks very different to both mine and kaleds, love the arm curled around the book.

I too would like to see the bolter close up. unsure of the stock right now.

RobSkib

Thanks for the comments all.

As it turns out, I posted the same picture twice rather than a shot of the bolter. It's the bolter that came with the bolt weapon booster pack but with the mag removed and stuck onto the side to make it a little more exotic.

+++++++

Hadriel Caine

YES! thats the one I thought it was take that Salarath (he was here and disputed my obvious correctness...)

really nice gun. the strap shouldnt be too hard for you to extend either!
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Myriad

Great poise.  Very debonnaire.

Curvy chainsword?
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Inquisitor Cade

The chaisword is from the old chainsword booster.

I agree with the above: Great pose, great bolter and, nice work with the legs.

I'm not convinced by the tank sprue backpacks though, esspecially not with the lasgun/pistol.
*Insert token witticism*

RobSkib

I was probably going to GS the stock on the pistol to make it a tad bigger.
                                     +++++++

precinctomega

Funnily enough, Adlan and I were discussing how effective the combination of Stone's legs and Eisenhorn's torso is.  This is another example of how it can produce dramatically different miniatures with just a little reposing and new set of arms and head.

A really good-looking mini, there, Rob.  And with your painting skills I know he's going to look awesome when done.

R.

kierkegaard

Very interesting model there Rob. You certainly made a great use of different bits (I would never have thought of using that left arm like that.)

What is the right arm? A guardsman's arm with the lasgun cut off?

Necris

I assume it's for left hand use I'd imagine the it would be uncomfortable to use right handed

Very groovy model I really must get back into modelling.
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

RobSkib

Quote from: kierkegaard on November 12, 2009, 04:06:43 PMWhat is the right arm? A guardsman's arm with the lasgun cut off?

I think it's jackson's right arm (armed with laspistol) with the shoulder hacked apart an the hand removed.

Quick update!

I've GS'd in a neckscarf (not really that visible in these pictures, but there nonetheless) and given him a sash around his waist to hide the horrible mess at the top of his leg armour. The right hand side is a bit naff, I might pull it off and do it again.

In other news, I've also started the Heavy to give his warband a bit of punch:

He is in no small way finished, this is the basic armature. There is going to be lots of GS work on his chest, shoulders and arms to beef him up a bit. The right arm is at a funny angle because I'm going to add more muscle at the back, he's far too weedy at the moment to be able to carry that heavy bolter on his own! He is, in some small way, based on this lovely model:

+++++++

Saussure

This looks like a lovely start to a piece - it's wonderfully dynamic, and I love the weapon selection. I have one of those chainswords sitting in my bitz box, awaiting the "right" model. I think it's a lovely weapon - very regal. Add to that your unique take on the boltgun, and I think there's something good happening here. Best of luck with the painting!

Herodotus Benedict Saussure
Ordo Hereticus Terran
Forum Moderator

Van Helser

He looks good, but isn't the banner facing the wrong way?  The vertical pole should surely be on the back of the pennant, no?

Also, I think that even bulking up the mean-looking dude won't quite make that particular heavy bolter a believable weapon for him.  It's friggin' huge! I think either a bi-pod or some suspensors would be a good addition.