Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Chronicles of the Carthaxian Conclave

Started by Kaled, November 17, 2009, 05:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

+++Personal log of Inquisitor Lyra Rhodes+++

+++Entry 12943+++
Renatus has reported a number of psychic runes upon buildings, predominantly habitations.
Although the runes all vary, most can be sorted into two basic categories. He has drawn a number for me to inspect, although seeing the designs myself has offered few clues.

+++Entry 12947+++
The runes seem to be oriented towards the planetary north. With their number and power  growing as they have, I suspect they may be associated with the coming Candlemas.

+++ Entry 12952+++
The runic investigation has been interrupted by a letter from Cardinal Gandolfo Malatesta, requesting assistance to avoid the theft of the sword of Saint Theodoric.
I have little time to spare from my primary investigation, but I cannot afford enemies within the Ecclesiarchy.

I fear I shall have to respond. With any luck, it will be little more than checking the shrine's wards and seals and a word with the Reverend Warden.

+++Entry 12954+++
By what foul fate I cannot imagine, but the theft of the sword coincided almost exactly with my arrival.

The fact that it got as far as it did was unforgiveable error on my part. My suspicions should have fallen upon the Techpriestess earlier, but I hadn't foreseen that their kind could be coaxed into running mere errands. It was only after a weak excuse about admiring the shrine's architecture that I started to act, fortunately in time to avoid the theft's success.

However, even so, I have been presented with a new task, for the sword of Saint Theodoric is no holy relic. Further research places it as the blade of a daemon the Saint slew on the site and which the Ecclesiarchy had been storing under great pretence.

To further add woes, one of the arbitrators lifted the blade. I am indebted to Kai for dealing with that manner with such swiftness - an act I am prepared to call compensation for his highly lax shooting earlier in the day.

I foresee the loss of another week from my investigation covering over this mess.

+++Entry 12967+++
And with that, I believe the situation has been contained.

I have personally executed Malatesta for his treachery. The sword of Saint Theodoric is being shipped to the vaults on Eudocia IV to be stored under the Inquisition's eye, and its place in the shrine has been taken by a suitably ornate replacement, if one of no consequence.

Techpriestess Orla Riall and her associates are a more complex manner. Unable to execute or mindscrub them, I had to order a release without charge.
I spoke briefly with Orla on the matter, explaining the severity of the situation, although I expect my words were largely ignored. I can only hope that fate saves us from a second meeting.

+++Entry 12973+++
The threat of the growing psychic presence can no longer be put aside. We shall have to trace the runes northwards.

+++ Entry 12978+++
I cannot exactly explain what happened at the planet's north, as I cannot place it rationally in my own head, let alone in text - but once again, it was daemonically centred.
I believe we were dealing with a possessed mortal (I believe by the Slaaneshi daemon Nic'las) who had been manufacturing weapons technology, but that is mere guessing.

Again, I am left wondering whether to reward or punish Kai. While he efficiently dealt with the epicentre of the threat, he also made an enemy of an Arbites judge by opening fire on him, even after he had identified himself.

I was also left with the misfortune of running into the Mechanicus again. A different Techpriestess this time around, but with a similar knack for causing me trouble.

+++Entry 12980+++
I cannot express how glad I am to be out of the freezing wastes. It is singularly unpleasant compared to the climate of Ibilac Prime.

+++Entry 12991+++
A myriad curses on Orla Riall. How could she have known I would be tracking that artefact?

Fortunately, she again failed to escape with it, by virtue of another Inquisitor present at the scene destroying it to avoid its capture. Nonetheless, I am sorely disappointed at the loss of the opportunity to study the artefact myself. The legends of its healing power are lost into the same shards that it has become.

The failure of this mission is compounded by the fact that Kai has been grievously wounded, and requires extensive medical repair to his genitals and pelvis. He is far too hazy to recall any but the crudest details, but I have been told enough to surmise he was hit by the Techpriestess' energy blade, the same one that destroyed my last shock maul. I have never seen the weapon's like, and I shall have to research it to avoid falling foul of it again.

While I was forced to let Orla walk the first time, she can expect none of the same courtesies should we meet on a third occasion.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Myriad

++priority transmission++

My Lord

It appears that Lok has been able to revive many of his old contacts, acquiring the services of the former Tau mercenary Ta'Gonn, and mounting a number of aggressive operations.  Although not utilising official inquisitorial channels, he appears to have considerable knowledge of our operations in the sector.  He has many times interfered with operations with none of the courtesy due to those of inquisitorial rank. 

Of greatest concern, he was documented at the scene of the recent enslaver outbreak on Grimhom II, where he clashed with inquisitor Cleops and Terwyn's redemptionist lackeys.  Reports are confused.  many suggest he was hit by a laser cannon, but given his appearance mere weeks later these appear unlikely.  What is certain is that there was an inordinate number of explosions, and both the defensive laser cannons and those on the valkyrie were fired in the mellee.

It would appear that Ta'gonn managed to carry Lok to a civilian flyer, which was later found burnt out and abandoned nearby.  It seems a waste of his talents that he is working for Lok.  Judging by the lack of flyers, it appears that all factions escaped.  Although no link to the enslavers can be proved, Lok's frequent use of xenos mercenaries naturally casts suspicion upon him.

In two further incidents he twice assaulted agents of the inquisition whilst they attempted to gather artefacts, destroying a potentially valuable healing artefact and breaking the arm of inquisitor Hanja - it would appear that he has acquired extensive scarring, either from the laser cannon shot or earlier, and has replaced his left arm with an implanted power fist of some efficacy.

It is our recommendation that inquisitor Lok remain deceased and that this individual be classed as a dangerous rogue.

++end transmission++
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Kaled

+++ Personal Log: Riall, Orla - SOL/4423/riao +++
+++ Log Extract: 10523/j +++

Rats!  He's sent me to collect a rat!  I haven't dedicated my life to the Omnissiah in order to collect vermin.  What import is it if the rodents of Feeng Beta are acting strangely?  He claims this is another 'request' from a associate in the Inquisition - four cycles ago he seemed to have no 'friends' in the Ordos, now he has two!

I wonder, is he sending me on this mission in order to keep me away from something?

+++ Extract ends +++

+++ To: Kryzak, Vaal - MNO/6462/kryv +++
+++ From: Riall, Orla - SOL/4423/riao +++
+++ Priority: Cyan-I +++

Your information was correct, the rodent population of Feeng Beta were indeed acting in an unusual manner.  Although I have no proof of my theory, I believe that the rats were 'possessed' by a similar creature to the one that attacked the Arbitrator at the Cathedral of Saint Theoderic.

I was able to procure a live subject for further study, however the creature reverted to a seemingly normal state once the main nest was destroyed by Nabokov and Experiment-10654.  I have transfered the subject to Laboratory 36 for further analysis.

+++ Message ends +++

+++ Log Extract: 10529/e +++

It seems my earlier hypothesis may have been incorrect.  My encounter with the 'tainted' rats suggests that our closeness to the Omnissiah may not provide us with as much protection from the malign intelligences beyond the veil as I had thought.  Despite the distasteful 'feelings' he generates, it seems Experiment-10654 may be our best defence against their influence.

+++ Extract ends +++

+++ To: Riall, Orla - SOL/4423/riao +++
+++ From: Kryzak, Vaal - MNO/6462/kryv +++
+++ Priority: Maroon-IX +++

It seems we have a lead as to the location of the Orb of Ehuds <See file ref. 6346-647-dhw/2>.  It's curative powers could open up new lines of research into life-extension programmes, juvenat treatments, and more mundane medicae fields.  If you can procure the Orb I believe it will be of great use to the research quests on which we are engaged.

I trust you will feel this mission is not beneath you.

+++ Message ends +++

+++ Log Extract: 10678/q +++

The damned Inquisition!  It is no wonder that Kryzak curses their name; they seem to interfere in everything we do.  Strange that we once again crossed paths with that Inquisitrix.  Nabokov calculates the odds of it merely being a coincidence that the Ordos keep interferring in our affairs as 0.000003217212345.  I am forced to conclude that they have planted a spy in our midst - I shall devote my attention to discovering his identity.  

+++ Extract ends +++
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

robmeister

+++ To: Riall, Orla - SOL/4423/riao +++
+++ From: Luther, Gerontius - FOR/8675/lutg +++
+++ Priority: Crimson II +++

Magus Riall, I have in my possession a sealed missive from a Member of the Ordo Malleus. I have been given strict orders to deliver this message in person and would request an audience that I might do so.

Gerontius Luther,
Gubernatorial Orderly to Fortuna II

+++ Message ends +++

robmeister

+++ To: Cleops, Ingo - SOL/9384/clei +++
+++ From: Sl**ne, G*d**n - XXX/4562/slag +++
+++ Priority: Crimson II +++

A*, Cl*ops. I  h**e  thi*  fi**s  you  we*l, an*  re**ets  for  *he  del*y,  yo*r  astr*pa*h  has  a  str**ger  m*nd t**n we  a*e  u*ed  to  infi*trat**g.  I m*st be br*ef. A  mi*sive  a*aits  at  our de*d  dr*p.

GHS

+++ Message ends +++

robmeister

+++ To: Rhodes, Lyra - FOR/1973/rhol +++
+++ From: Haft, Edmundus - FOR/2110/hafe +++
+++ Priority: Cyan I +++

Reverend Inquisitor,

I am in possession of a Letter from the Chief Justice of the Demesnes Fortunan, and tasked to deliver this letter to you herewith in compliance with orders.

With honour,

Proctor Edmundus Haft,
Arbitorium Fortuna

+++ Message ends +++

MarcoSkoll

++Query: Order Perditus++
The Order Perditus has a strong presence in and around the sector. While typically, their numbers allow for approximately one Inquisitor per 500 Imperial planets, it is typical for there to be a dozen or so Perditus Inquisitors present in the sector at any one time.
The primary reason for such presence is a complex of Order buildings on Eudocia IV, a planet positioned towards the galactic north of the sector. The complex as a whole is for the most part used for research and storage. The senior figure at the facility is currently Inquisitor Byssus, who has...

++Data interrupted at user request++

++Query: Inquisitor Byssus++
Inquisitor Lembus Byssus has headed the Inquisition facility on Eudocia IV for slightly less than five years, and is officially retired from active missions on the basis that his skill set has become too valuable to routinely risk in the field.

He wields a moderate amount of influence within the sector, partly as the sector's senior figure within the Order Perditus, and partly by reputation. Similarly, he keeps a hand in recent actions within in the sector via a number of proxies, at times including his former acolytes (Inquisitors Rhodes and Skoll).
Given his support network, Byssus' detractors are generally secretive, avoiding direct confrontation with him.

Also an active researcher at the Eudocia facility, his current research paper is on Trans-Aethyric Association in Homo Sapiens. He is ably assisted by another former acolyte, Inquisitor Brennan.

++Query: Trans-Aethyric Association++

~~~~~File encrypted with non-standard encryption protocol. Access cancelled~~~~~

++Query: Inquisitor Rhodes++
Lyra Joandra Rhodes has been within the sector for some time and is currently believed to be on the hunt for the Palix array, a legend predating the Imperium's conquest of the sector.

It is said to be an ancient warp lens, a place where the immaterium is focused into an ordered manner. Although a handful of excavated records detail basic facts about its appearance and function, the details given about its location are either vague to the point of uselessness or associated with ancient and forgotten place names.

If the tales and rumours of the array's potential bear any truth, the technologies involved are both highly valuable and highly dangerous.

++Recent Event flag: Palix Array++

The lead scholar associated with the search for the Palix Array was recently found guilty of ninety-three separate charges of un-imperial behaviour by an Arbites investigation headed by Inquisitor Skoll, and was sentenced to complete Arco-Flagellation.

++Query: Inquisitor Skoll++
Marco Robert Skoll is on record as having been promoted to the rank of Inquisitor within the Carthax sector five years ago.

As a relatively junior Inquisitor, Skoll has largely been restricting himself to relatively minor issues, in the hope of avoiding outright confrontation with the better connected and established Inquisitors within the sector.

He has regularly been seen assisting in the tracking of a mercenary known as "Frost" throughout the sector within recent months, but latest reports suggest that he is outside the sector, attending to matters of political unrest.

GW's =I= articles

Holiad

Silently enjoying the dappled sunlight of the forest path, and the freedom from both her carapace armour and the constant whispers of the daemonsword she carried as a test of discipline, Terwyn walked lightly through the woodlands. She trod slowly, taking time to savour the journey, and just nervous to delay the coming rendezvous in a clearing, where an elderly man idly tapped away at a pair of data terminals. To her relief, however, the piercing eyes which fixed on her held genuine warmth and approval in as she stopped to bow, data terminals swiftly set aside. A weathered hand gestured absently with an ebony cane to a second chair, and a table set with tea. 
"Terwyn. Sit down, dear girl, and have some tea. You've been working hard, and you have done well. Your handling of the enslavers, and of the dangerous mutation in Feeng Alpha's rats, escaping one and destroying the other, avoiding some dangerous rivals, was efficient, and to bring the Seekers back intact, despite their volatility, beyond all expectations. The only fault is the regrettable demise of Marech Val, but with young Cleops preserving his unique talents it is small loss. As for the final matter..."

He paused, studying her emotions carefully, then spoke again.

"You were right to handle the boy as you did, and equally right to be troubled by it. The best of us regret everything we must do, yet his testimony would have brought intolerable discord. The death of Grolin will turn the conclave will turn to suspicion and infighting once more, and the more evidence they have, the worse it will be. The children quarrel so easily, and any among them would have used such a testimony as an excuse to condemn their favourite enemy. This way, I have at least some small chance to limit the damage they do to each other, yet even so, I fear Grolin is merely the first of many good inquisitors to be lost to us before things settle. A bad time for it, with the Vizier wishing to play games with me once more...I will miss him terribly. Who now will remember I was ever anything but ancient?"

For several minutes, the worn figure remained isolated in silent reverie, then with a deep sigh reached for the terminals again.

"Get some sleep Terwyn, while you still have that luxury. Then continune work on your discipline."

"Yes, my Lord Smogg."

Knowing better than to ask questions, she Rose and bowed again, then turned away, leaving the elderly lord to his manipulations as she headed for the rest he had ordered.

Poor noble Marech
Noone 'till the end could see
Your brave heart of fire

Adlan

The sounds of the Tabulator filled the room. Unlike some Inquisitors, Hanja was not a fan of vast ostentation, and so subtle ornamentation was the theme, refined elegance. The Fine curly Betula wood desk, occupying a third of the room, the rest of this inquisitors 'office' was more like a dojo, the fine carpets replaced by exercise mats, and the wood panneling hung with equipment.

Inquisitor Hanja was compleating his report. With a seal and scan of his electoo, it was ready to be sent and confirmed, all that had been obtained from the corpse of the witness, as much pict data as his hunterskull had recorded, and the results from his own psychic investigations. He had a list of suspects, targets and deductions to share with Inquisitor Xerxas. But before he sent it off, entered a final post script:

In consideration of this evidence, the actions taken by our opponents, and the likely consequence of going before the conclave with this evidence, I must caution you. Accusations of this nature will not be borne by our testimony alone. Before placing our findings before our peers, I would seek further evidence in our joint investigations, particularly about the Inquisitorial agent seen in the attatched pict capture +++Inquisitorial Clearance Granted +++

Yours
-Hanja Daurman

Hanja sent the message, and left his office. He required solitude, and prayer. Aboard his Lighter, space was cramped, with staff and crew and equipment, but the chapel was still a place a sancity and peace.

Inside, in pride of place, the newest of relics, the bones of a saint. He sat, crosslegged on his simple rush prayer mat, lit a stick of blessed incense, and began to meditate on the events that led upto this, returning the bones to the ecclisarchy

Following a set of reports from various Inquisitors that were almost riddle like in their contradictions he deduced  possible locations of the casket, Hanja led a small team to retrieve them, for he knew, other parties were all so seaking to claim the relic's. The Mechanicus, who were more probably interested in rumours of archeotech buried with the saint than the sacred bones themselves, and an unknown operative.

Using steal and guile, Hanja advanced on the first location, but found nothing. His valet, Ungen, advanced on the 2nd, only to find the mechanicus had made it there first. Ungen, using his initiative, initially chrged the tech priestess, but was soon set upon by the adepts combat servitor.

Hanja smiled at the way Ungen had handled himself, both were veterans of slave fighting pits, and both were ferocious at close quaters, but while Hanja was fluid motion and devastating blows, Ungen was a steel wall of shield and flail that bore back his opponent.

It was this Fluid motion that was used next, Hanja dashed over and while Ungen held back the combat servitor. With a flying leap from the rock he made for the casket. First getting past the priestess, and then the mechanicus's half sized assistant. As he fled with the casket he was shot in the back, and legs, shattering his left limb, leaving him to crawl away with the assistance of Ungen, and Rifleman Verger, who had finally destroyed the servitor with a grenade.

So now, he twinged as he got up, the quick grown flesh still painful and in need of conditioning, he was injured, and with his valet in the infirmary, still recuperating as well, it was good that they were taking a quiet jaunt to return the casket.

Kaled

+ To: All members of the Carthaxian Conclave
+ Priority: Alpha
+ Subject: Death of Lord Grolin

It is with deep regret that I must announce that this morning Lord Inquisitor Marcus Grolin, head of the Carthaxian Conclave, was found dead in his private study by members of his household staff.

Lord Grolin, aged 317, has been a member of the Carthaxian Conclave for a little over two centuries.  During much of his long and glorious career he was a member the Ordo Hereticus, eventually rising to the position of Master of that Ordo.  He was later invited to succeed Lord Roemar as head of the Carthaxian Conclave, a position he has held for almost sixty years.  Notable events in his career include Scourging of the Folixian Cult, the Prosecution of General Fangorn, and the Trial of Inquisitor Yund.

Lord Grolin had been suffering continuing health problems for some time, and it is believed that these were the cause of his death; however, as is customary in these circumstances, a full investigation will be carried out to verify this.

I know that everyone will be saddened by this tragic event, and on behalf of the Carthaxian Conclave I would like to express my sympathies to Lord Grolin's friends, colleagues and members of his staff.

May the Emperor watch over his spirit.

Lord Inquisitor Calleia, Acting head of the Carthaxian Conclave

Kaled

+ To: All members of the Carthaxian Conclave
+ Priority: Delta
+ Subject: Appointment of a successor to Lord Grolin

With Lord Grolin's passing, it falls to us, members of the Carthaxian Conclave, to choose his successor.  As is tradition, we will now enter into a period of quiet reflection and contemplation during which we will all pray for guidance from the Emperor to ensure that we might choose wisely.

Members of the Conclave are invited to meet at the Inquisitorial Fortress on Tigguo Cobauc on 0310010.M42 when Lord Grolin's successor will be appointed and announced.

In the meantime I will continue to lead the Conclave during this difficult time of transition.

Lord Inquisitor Calleia, Acting head of the Carthaxian Conclave

RobSkib

+++ INCOMING VOX TRANSMISSION +++

+++ SUBJECT: Lingus Quinne +++

+++ TRANSCRIBING +++

+++ MESSAGE BEGINS +++

My Lord, I bear distressing news.

That damnable Inquisitor Vanth (Ref. 44/249 ) is here, in the Carthaxian sector! I thought we had rid of him during that incident on Jedda IX, but apparently not.

I was carrying out field studies planetside as instructed on the Great Ruins of Jedda IX when that thrice-damned man appeared and chased us away. I do not believe he is aware of my affiliation with you, my Lord, so he cannot trace me back to your coordinates. He must be here for the meeting on Tigguo Cobauc, how did he know though? I thought Grolin blacklisted him half a decade ago?

My Lord, more distressing news. It appears Vanth is now allying with the Alien, as well as the Heretic and the Daemon. A member of his party whom I did not recognise was present, his armour appeared distinctly Tau, yet there was something incredibly unusual about him. At this time, I cannot begin to predict what Vanth is doing, as I had very little time to pict-capture this individual for later study ( Ref. 45/249 )

This is foreboding news indeed my Lord, as Vanth's treachery knows no bounds, especially if he has new Xenos allies. Still, I would very much like to study this Tau turncoat more, if my Lord allows.

+++ MESSAGE ENDS +++

+++ TRANSMISSION TERMINATED +++

An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

greenstuff_gav

+++ INCOMING TRANSMISSION +++

+ To: Lord Inquisitor Calleia
+ Priority: Alpha
+ Subject: Appointment of a successor to Lord Grolin

+++ MESSAGE BEGINS +++

Greetings Lord Inquisitor.

I am Brother-Herald Aulius Claudius of the Ultramarine Legion, Herald of Macragge.
Since the reclamation of the Carthaxian Sectors in Brother-Captain Darius' Crusade, we of the Ultramarines have provided support and stood alongside the Conclave.

Our prayers were raised with Lord Grolins' passing to join the God-Emperor, he fought with honour worthy of any of His Servants.
I am honoured to provide a presence and voice of the Legio Ultramarine at the appointment of the successor to the Carthaxian Conclave.

May the God-Emperor and the Immortal Guilliman watch over and guide you,

Brother Aulius Claudius
Herald, Legio Ultramarine, Adeptus Astartes

+++ MESSAGE ENDS +++

+++ TRANSMISSION TERMINATED +++
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Macabre

++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

MarcoSkoll

++Query: Frost++
An exceptionally dangerous mercenary, Frost (true identity unknown) has connections to over one hundred assassinations of important figures, including Arbites judges, Imperial officers, corporation owners, and potentially three Inquisitors and a planetary governor.

Including minor hits, illegally issued bounties and reported involvement in warzones, he is charged with responsibility for the deaths of at least one thousand Imperial citizens.

He is known to be a master of disguise, as reports of his appearance are seldom consistent (see attached datafile), ranging from extremes of heavily built gentlemen to that of small women.
However, while his exact appearance is unknown, it is beyond question that he possesses exceptional combat skill and extensive resources.

As a highly trained killer with no qualms about killing those associated with the Inquisition, he is to be considered exceptionally dangerous.

GW's =I= articles