Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Marco does something

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 18, 2009, 12:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simeon Blackstar

Sorry, yes, I meant that I'm going to use that design myself, not that you'd copied it from elsewhere.

From what I've gathered, the cells used in lasweapons are just the generic energy cells used by the Imperium as batteries in lots of things.  I can't personally think of a (stock) model where they're used as anything else - though this might be because the stock models are all military - but I'm sure I've read it in a number of places.

Inquisitor Cade

I still disagree, I believe that a powercell for appliances and a lasgun powercell would not be interchangeable, though you are supported by the fluff that powercell can be charged, though degradingly, by leaving them in a fire or even in sunlight.

I don't like the idea that lasguns run of the equivalent of household batteries. This seems gimiky and to cheaped the imperial guard.

It looks like you might be right though.
*Insert token witticism*

Tyrant

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on November 21, 2009, 02:11:55 PM
I still disagree, I believe that a powercell for appliances and a lasgun powercell would not be interchangeable, though you are supported by the fluff that powercell can be charged, though degradingly, by leaving them in a fire or even in sunlight.

I don't like the idea that lasguns run of the equivalent of household batteries. This seems gimiky and to cheaped the imperial guard.

It looks like you might be right though.

I think thats a bit over the top..
Even if its not a lasgun cell, all magazine clips look fairly simular, its more than likely that power cells would also look pretty much the same.
AKA SquareWave

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on November 21, 2009, 02:11:55 PMI don't like the idea that lasguns run of the equivalent of household batteries. This seems gimiky and to cheaped the imperial guard.
I never said they were an equivalent of household batteries. There are many different types of power cell out there.
In the same way that you don't run a starter motor off two triple-A pen cells, or a TV remote off a truck battery, a lasgun cell is not what you'd use to run an average torch.

I imagine the use of powercells to be somewhat like that of Lead-Acid batteries. Not something you use for everything, but very useful for medium to large sized high power applications.
Anyway, even if the specific shape/size of cell that lasguns accept isn't used for everything, the coil rifle is one of the things that use that size.

Quote from: Tyrant on November 21, 2009, 02:16:01 PMEven if its not a lasgun cell, all magazine clips look fairly similar, its more than likely that power cells would also look pretty much the same.
Magazine clips!?

(Heck, even using the term "lasgun magazine" is pushing it as far as definition)

Quote from: Simeon Blackstar on November 21, 2009, 01:14:24 PMSorry, yes, I meant that I'm going to use that design myself, not that you'd copied it from elsewhere.
Cool. ;D
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Tyrant

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on November 21, 2009, 03:11:29 PM
Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on November 21, 2009, 02:11:55 PMquote]

Quote from: Tyrant on November 21, 2009, 02:16:01 PMEven if its not a lasgun cell, all magazine clips look fairly similar, its more than likely that power cells would also look pretty much the same.
Magazine clips!?

(Heck, even using the term "lasgun magazine" is pushing it as far as definition)

I mean that magazines look like each other..... and that a power cell would like other power cells
the fact they all perfrom the same job means that they will be designed in a simular way

not that a magazine looks like a triple A!

lol.
AKA SquareWave

MarcoSkoll

Well, I've been working more, but I'll have to upload photos (and a bit of a ramble I've got running around my head) tomorrow, because I'm not going to subject you to poor and noisy photos - which is what will happen if I try taking photos in low light when tired.

Other legs are finished, basic shapes of upper bodies largely sorted out. What needs to happen now is smoothing over any errors in that, then I can get on with the start of the actual "upper layers".
Downside is that I've realised I've cocked up and accidentally swapped the psyker's and Stormtrooper's armatures. Not critical (I'll only end up with the psyker the taller of the two), but not what I wanted.

@Tyrant: Most people on the forum know this pet peeve of mine by now, but anyway, this is the point I was making.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

And pictures...

Lyra, Psyker and Stormtrooper:
*Changed to a link*

~~~~~

Frost and myself.

*Changed to a link*

~~~~~

Firstly, I recognise Lyra's right breast is wonky and needs fixing - I'll get to that later tonight.

Secondly, that last one was first because I'm used to dealing with enough perverts that it's force of habit to get that kind of stuff out the way at the beginning.

Thirdly, I also recognise the relative lack of neatness (and presence of fingerprints) at this stage. I'm not going to spend extra effort getting layers which won't be visible perfect.
Similarly, there are a couple of anatomical mistakes here. I've not taken the time to fix the ones that remain, because they'll be adjusted or hidden later on.

Actually, since I took these photos, I've progressed onto the start of some of the "upper layers" - various footwear mainly, but also some armour plates on the more heavily armoured of the two (Frost and the Stormtrooper).

But I'd like to get more done before I show you how that's going.

~~~~~

Anyway, I believe I promised a ramble.

This warband is particularly unusual for me, because while I've done models based on other people's art before, these are the first characters I've done based on other people's art.

I'm normally used to having a very fixed idea in my mind of what a character looks like, and largely a character is begun with personality/traits ahead of appearance.
I might occasionally steal a few ideas here and there for appearance or draw inspiration from things...

Indeed, some of you may recall that Frost's armour was somewhat inspired by Nova from Starcraft:Ghost, the Elf from the Warhammer Online trailer, and the Bounty Hunter from the Old Republic "Deceived" teaser.

...but taking an appearance someone else designed, then bolting a personality to it - that's very unusual for me.

It takes a very rare piece of art to strike that kind of chord with me where I can immediately conceive the character that goes with the appearance.

Unfortunately, my brother will want the computer soon, so I'll continue the ramble in a later post.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

One update for you....

Still working on names for the Psyker and Stormtrooper, but I've got ideas about those.

The modelling, at least, is advancing.

Lyra, Psyker and Stormtrooper - Rear

Frost and myself - Rear

Still a little messy in places, but cleaning up will be being carried out as I go. Anyway, if I keep on track, I think I can be sorted with enough time to spare.

Anyway, I would say more, but I need to eat dinner.

GW's =I= articles

Tyrant

I'm impressed with how quick they go from being vaguely humanoid to actually developing a stlye, I thought it looked fairly clean already. nice.
AKA SquareWave

RobSkib

They're really coming along nicely Marco! I have to say, I was sceptical this project would get even this far, so kudos!

I havn't got much to note at the moment other than what little GS skill you've demonstrated far outstrips my own, and I particularly like the work on the rear of Frost's armour. Keep going amigo, I want to see what these guys look like when they're done!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Hadriel Caine

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on November 25, 2009, 09:51:33 PM
Anyway, I would say more, but I need to eat dinner.

Good man.

They are really beginning to take shape aren't they! looking forwards to more progress.

Adam
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

MarcoSkoll

Thanks for the various compliments. As far as speed of production, I have to work fast for them to be a potential choice if I make it to the IGT... actually, as it is, I think my speed still needs stepping up.

I learnt quite a lot from the half finished work on Marco's sculpt, and my art skills in general have improved*, so it's been less work than the earlier efforts.

*Although I still dread to see what the paint-job on this lot is going to turn out like. I've not painted in a while, and it's not my strong point.

~~~~~

Well, I've done a few basic things today.

Firstly, I think I have a name for the Stormtrooper, unless I later take a dislike to it - Kai Gillmore.
The Psyker is a little more resistant, and although he's got a personality and skill set, he continues to remain anonymous.

Sculpting-wise, I've done a couple of plates on the Stormtrooper, and a little more "framework" on the Psyker... but neither makes a very interesting photo, so I'll spare you that one.

However, I've tried to sort out some of Frost's scale armour, and some of the models have started to gain weaponry (my own model used for example): Just the front today

The scales turned out to be relatively easy after my earlier doubts on the matter - I simply cut some brass strip into a pointed shape and pressed it in to the GS in an appropriate pattern (although I suspect it would have been possible with just the conventional sculpting tool).

To respond to RobSkib's coments about the back of Frost's armour, I very much enjoyed designing this version of said armour. Being the engineering type I am, I like creating designs to fit whatever criteria, and finding the different ways to try and create armour that offered lots of protection without hindering movement unduly was a great way for me to spend those few hours.

~~~~~

Weapons for the most part are going to be made from 28mm scale weapons, because although I'm not working to a completely "true" scale, these models aren't quite to Inq's heroic scale either and I think that most INQ weapons are going to be clumsily large.

I've put together a few weapons (sorry, no photos just yet) in a similar way to Frost's coil rifle - Lyra's revolver has been cut together from parts of an IG grenade launcher and one of the Lasguns from a Chimera, and the Stormtrooper's hellpistol is just a regular lasgun without the stock and a few pieces swapped around.

I might, if I had more time and patience, do weapons out of brass rod/tubing... but I'm not much blessed with spare seconds or the necessary persistence.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

So, an update.

Little done on Lyra or my own model, but the other three have seen advancement.

Basics of Frost's leg armour have been laid down (not the right lower though), detail on the Psyker's front has been started (with parts of the back to be done tomorrow), and Kai is down to needing little more but the straps and various equipment (which, for the most part, has been liberated from my bits box)

Anyway, pictures...

Frost, Psyker and Kai - Front
Frost and Kai - Rear

... I figure I may even be able to get this lot sculpted and painted on time, although a step up in pace by adding a morning sculpting session may be needed, given I missed some sculpting time yesterday trying to write up the RIA.

GW's =I= articles

Hadriel Caine

wow. simply great work Marco. the detail is so crisp! something I just can't seem to do with GS.
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Myriad

What Adam said.  Shaping up nicely.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!