Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Marco does something

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 18, 2009, 12:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

I'm using AliceVision Meshroom. It's fairly straightforward to get a scan - take lots of pictures of the model from different angles (ideally moving the camera rather than the model), drag and drop them into the program, hit start, wait for it to do loads of calculation, and eventually you're left with a PNG and an OBJ.

Cleaning it up and optimising it for the simulator is a bit more complex, but you've got Zbrush experience, I believe.

As and when I've actually refined my technique properly, I'll try to provide a guide.

Anyway, I intend on redoing the scan, but for the sake of proving it can be successfully inserted into Tabletop Simulator:

(Which is really surreal, because I know
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

A second attempt at digitising Martejja, this time using less rushed photos.

EDIT: I also realise I got the program name wrong in the last post. It's AliceVision Meshroom, not AliceSoft (which turns out to be an erotic video game producer...)

GW's =I= articles

Cortez

I found the correct software. Having problems with it though. It seems to just stop on the third step and not progress any further.

MarcoSkoll

I've got around to scanning Evelyn:

She's a bit rougher around the edges than Martejja, so I might end up redoing some things, but this was a 48 photo scan (not the 134 I took for Martejja) using different software (3DF Zephyr).
As a result, after the kinks were ironed out (with thanks to Lee on that one, who helped me via Facebook) it was considerably less time consuming to photograph and process.

(While ideally I'd prefer to improve the quality slightly above this, a quicker process will mean games can actually be done sooner rather than later).

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

I'm thinking I'm going to have to redo Evelyn. My experimenting with my photography method wasn't rewarded.

However, the good news is that Daniela has come out significantly better:

At this point, I think have the method reasonably well sorted, so I'll be trying to document the approach for others to replicate.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

As prophesied, I've redone Evelyn with the new photography.

Considerably happier with these results.

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor_Snarf

Really cool!

I would love to see as many INQ minis getting scanned by the community. There are so many minis out there that deserve the love (looking at 28 mag)

MarcoSkoll

Adding Martejja's hunting eagle to the collection of imaginary Inquisitor models:

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Alas, this is still photoscanning and offers nothing as far as genuinely new content. However, it seems to be the most promising avenue as far as gaming in the near-ish future, so I'm pushing ahead with that. Once I've got the process refined, I can consider working on new models to scan.

At this point, although I've still got the servo skulls to process for Martejja's warband, I decided it was worth scanning the 28mm scale Cpl Fielder instead to see how well she would fit proportionally alongside the rest. I wasn't expecting it to be a particular issue, but even given I tend to sculpt my 54mm figures considerably slenderer than the official GW figures, it seems to work quite well to me.

GW's =I= articles

DwH86

This is outstanding!

Well done, Photogrammetry is sonething I'm very curious about  :)
Too much sh*t, not enough pockets. That's life

MarcoSkoll

Sorry, things trailed off there, mostly due to complications with real life that I shouldn't really go into.

However, new toys! While before I was going from miniature to 3d mesh, now I can also go back the other way too. (Including potentially creating rescaled duplicates of my existing models).

I've got a bit of learning to do first, but hopefully I'll be turning out bits and pieces soon, ready for when we can actually do events again.

GW's =I= articles

cymrilian

i'm envious. i look forward to what things you print out.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: cymrilian on December 26, 2020, 10:22:21 AM
i'm envious.
I have to admit that there was a certain charm to doing everything by hand as I have so far, just from the perspective that "No, it doesn't need fancy tools" but at the same time, I've also learned a lot of 3D modelling and art over the last few years, so this is a useful way of bridging the various skill sets.

Quote from: cymrilian on December 26, 2020, 10:22:21 AM
i look forward to what things you print out.
In that respect, it seemed a good starting project that wasn't going to involve lots of complicated support struts, use up massive amounts of resin if it failed, or just generally be too tricky to do would be to look at some custom dice.

The special Inquisitor set that were released back in 2001 remains one of my favourite dice sets (and one I wish I'd bought two sets of, in order to have more than five D6s), so I figured a somewhat snazzed up version of that might be an interesting idea.

It's a bit hard to photograph clear resin, but after some contrast tweaks...

I need to refine the supports a little to make them easier to remove, and there's a few other tweaks I should probably make, but I think I'll probably be printing out a set of six of these at some point.

GW's =I= articles

Mentirius

That is very cool; I still have a set of those dice myself but I love the more detailed version of the =][= symbol you've worked in.  I'd be interested to know how it stands up to a salt water test, as I recently had some issues with a big bag of dice I bought mostly not being true, maybe due to bubbles or other inconsistencies beneath the surface.

As far as full-on 54mm models goes, while your freehand sculpting is awesome, I think a new medium to play with is always a creatively good thing.  I can't wait to see what else you come up with using this tech.

MarcoSkoll

Well, I know it's not going to be perfectly 100% balanced, as I didn't specifically try to equalise the indentations, and with these supports, it was somewhat difficult cleaning up the edge between the 4 and 6.

Still, it is clear resin, so it's possible to see that it's solid internally. (As is, the way the printing works means that short of an actual failure in the printer, it's unlikely to have such flaws).

As far as progress, I've tried a rough application of paint; I didn't put *much* effort in (this is just a test, and I plan to print a set of six having learned from this one), but I think I probably need to exagerrate some of the details in order to help pick-up the paint. (That said, as is almost always the case, the photograph isn't very flattering. In person, it looks fairly decent).

GW's =I= articles