Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Marco does something

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 18, 2009, 12:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tessio Niri

Nice to see another rhino being made. Should really get round to painting mine.

T.
"There is but one God and his name is the Omnissiah. How his hunger extinguishes that light of the stars." Magos Belion Tygrosa

MarcoSkoll

Yeah. A Rhino seemed a good start - a fairly simple design (METAL BAWX!) so it shouldn't be too hard to model, and versatile in that it's put to use by most Imperial organisations, so lots of excuses to use one.

Also, I have some in my old SM army which I could use for reference. Although, as has been said for years, it is underscale, so I have to use a factor of 2.2 on the 40k measurements to reach the size stated in Imperial Armour. (As opposed to most 40k models being more than half the height of an Inquisitor model).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

TJ-Flames

Ive built a normal sizes 28mm land raider before.
I think it will be awesome, might try it myself when I move over to 54mm.

MarcoSkoll

A bit more work on the Rhino today, but the stage isn't finished (I'm adding thickness to the armour plates by shimming them with plastrip and rings of PVC pipe), so I'll leave a photo update for the moment.

However, more stuff arrived.

A box of Africa Korps to use for RobSkib's traitor guardsman suggestion somewhere down the line.
And no, they're not Germans because they're "bad guys". They were one of my two preferred Airfix lines to build Guardsmen from, and as I already had some British Paratroopers turning into loyalist guardsmen, I wanted my traitors to not all fall into the same design and poses.

GW's =I= articles

RobSkib

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 03, 2011, 06:01:57 PM
And no, they're not Germans because they're "bad guys". They were one of my two preferred Airfix lines to build Guardsmen from, and as I already had some British Paratroopers turning into loyalist guardsmen, I wanted my traitors to not all fall into the same design and poses.

Yeah yeah, any excuse :P You should see if you can pick up a mutation sprue cheaply from Battlewagon Bitz or eBay - it will pay dividends when converting them. None have to be particularly mutated, just subtle conversions here and there. A Tentacle hand here, a horn protruding from a chest there, a few extra eyes never hurt anyone either.

Oh, and if you need any screaming guardsman heads, please PM me, I have about a dozen at last count and I can't seem to get rid of them!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

MarcoSkoll

Rhino update. Things are going a bit slower than I wanted, but I'm trying to pick up the pace.

Apparently, a 40k Rhino (being used for reference. It's completely blue because I resprayed it years ago and never got around to actually finishing that job) will fit in the back. For now at least - when I put the seats and interior in, it probably won't.

I'm using PVC overflow pipe as a spacer for the track sections. At pittance per metre, it's a good solid shim that should give a lot of strength for little time and effort. The only downside is that it won't stick with poly cement, but Loctite's plastic superglue (with the primer pen) seems to provide a good strong bond a lot quicker than epoxy would.
Well, that is if you don't try and test its load strength, then try to re-glue it, because it doesn't stick as well the second time unless you clean it up really properly.

There are a few things to do before I can affix the outer panels - I need to run the wiring for the headlights and build the fans to go inside the engine air intakes first (those three "slots" at the back) - but I hope that's not going to take long. I've got a lot of things to finish before the IGT, and this is only one of them.

Lastly, that thing across the bottom left corner of the photo is the start of the tracks. It's not that bad making each link individually, but it takes a while (and I haven't even added the tread patterns yet).
They're numbered, because there isn't a whelk's chance in a supernova they'll go together in any other order.

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

The idea of a Rhino that carries other Rhinos (Mother Rhino?) is so tempting...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

MarcoSkoll

I was thinking "Russian Rhinos", but I didn't have an Epic Rhino to go in the back of the 40k one, unfortunately.

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

quick! PM me, I have a pile of unwanted ones...

MarcoSkoll

Nah, it's not like I'll reach the end of my life and feel it was wasted because I never did "Russian Rhinos".

Planning out interior. I'm making a couple of tweaks from completely "scale" to make it so that five 40mm based models can fit in the back. I can easily see how 10 Space Marines would fit in something of this size, but those round bases do horribly reduce packing efficiency.

GW's =I= articles

Heroka Vendile

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 07, 2011, 08:32:58 PM
I was thinking "Russian Rhinos", but I didn't have an Epic Rhino to go in the back of the 40k one, unfortunately.

Then you could have the three of them inside THQs DoW Rhino :P

A Rhino within a Rhino within a Rhino within a Rhino, hang on a moment, that's Rhinception!

Apologies, couldn't resist the meme.

Looks like it's coming together really well Marco.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Frostspear

Memes, eh? What about:

"Yo dawg, I heard you like Rhinos, so we put a Rhino in yo Rhino so you can transport while yo transport"

Hehe...anyway, can't wait to see the finished item.
Be not so swift to embrace us as allies.

Auspicious fate dictated that we should fight side-by-side this day, but fate is a fickle creature.

At our next encounter, it will be my fists that bear the stain of your blood.

MarcoSkoll

Oh dear, we've turned into a meme.

Anyway, seeing as Robey seems to like mysterious teaser images for IGT scenarios, here's one for mine (provided I get the work done in time):

That is all.

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

Russian Rhinos would be a great meme...

Are you going to predict murders at the IGT?

Heroka Vendile

I predict Indiana Jones style giant rolling ball of death? Like the one that was in the lovely but short-lived FW Inquisitor terrain set. :P
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy