Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Marco does something

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 18, 2009, 12:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kierkegaard

That Rhino is looking great.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on February 08, 2011, 08:19:08 PMAre you going to predict murders at the IGT?
Yes, I predict the horribly gruesome death of anyone who doesn't finish their turns swiftly or who goes to the toilet during my scenario.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Some of the interior, despite the fact the exterior still needs work. Thanks to my earlier planning, five 40mm based models can fit in here (although the 40k Rhino will not any more), provided they're not overly dramatically posed.

Most of the wonky rivets/etc have been fixed as you read this.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Every day, this plastic bawx starts to seem slightly more huge than the scale picture I started with:

Anyway, progress report: Most of the remaining work is the roof, detailing, doors and weapons loadout. (Although the tracks are currently held together with electrical tape. ::))

Most of the electrics for the headlights and interior lighting has been soldered, although not all is of it yet in place.

GW's =I= articles

Heroka Vendile

looking great inside & out marco  8)
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

MarcoSkoll

Detailing one of the tracks is complete:

It's "mallet quality" (i.e. good enough to appease the casual eye, and if anyone bends down to take a closer look, you clobber them over the head with a mallet), but if you've got to make 15 pieces for each of 60 different track links by hand, to do it with uniform precision would take patience and time I haven't got.

I still need to do the other track, as well as apply the "teeth" to the inside of them, but the extra detail has had a profound effect that really makes it worth it.

GW's =I= articles

Ynek

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 15, 2011, 11:32:31 PM
Detailing one of the tracks is complete:

Yikes... that's a lot of fiddly little bits. Kudos for having the patience to work your way through all that!

Although, couldn't you have saved yourself a whole bunch of time by just making a singular link, and casting it hundreds of times?

However, that said, I'm very impressed with the rhino so far. It's certainly been a labour of love which puts my paltry efforts at Inq-vehicle-making to shame.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Ynek on February 16, 2011, 08:20:45 AMAlthough, couldn't you have saved yourself a whole bunch of time by just making a singular link, and casting it hundreds of times?
Maybe, but I've got no former casting experience, and I didn't really want to have to rely on successfully casting 60 different links.

Anyway, it's not so much time and effort as being slightly tedious doing the same things over and over...

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Double post, I know, but it's something different!

The first of the NPC guard is on the way - I give you Sgt. A. R. Fix:

Obviously, he's not done yet, but this was mostly pointing binocular man. After cutting away the binocular arm (not an easy task, and one that earned me a nick in the end of one of my fingers), he got one of the arms from the grenade throwing models and a head reposition.

The hands are from Chaos Warriors (I find they work well as unarmoured hands for non-heroic models, given the WoC models are slightly bigger than most, even if they do need modifying to hold a gun), the chainsword the standard trick (although I discovered that the SM one is deeper than the IG one, which is why I now need to fix some slightly overzealous filing on the upper half) and the bolt pistol... well, for a 28mm piece, it works fine on this model.

And then some putty. The flak body armour nicely covered up the cutting work that removed the binocular arm, and his beret turned into a peaked cap (even if it is against Cadian-standard doctrine for a Sgt.).

For what was a 43 pence model, I think he'll be convincing enough after I've added the extra flak plates, some more trinkets, and, yes, drilled out the bolt pistol. I'm actually almost disappointed he's being relegated to an NPC role.

*And no, I'm not apologising for that name. The others will be worse.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

In the absence of any responses, triple post.

Still a little more clean up to do somewhere down the line, but here's a relatively complete Sgt:

I don't think his origins will be at all obvious once he's painted, so I'm prepared to call it a success as far as 40k-ifying him. Now for the other thirteen.

GW's =I= articles

RobSkib

Wowee, can't wait to see the other guys if they're all going to look this good!

You're probably already aware of this, but in the bottom right picture it appears there is a mould line running down the back of his right arm, I'm sure it would be no problem to file it off. I think maybe the wrists are too skinny as well, I think a sausage of GS should sort that out no problem.

I can't put my finger on it, but I think he's missing something. I think he needs something interesting on his face to set him apart from the mooks in his squad, either a waxed-up soup-strainer or some kind of bionic eye would round this model off nicely, and give you something interesting to paint when it comes to his face.

Are you planning on having some kind of heavy/special weapon team in the squad?
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: RobSkib on February 17, 2011, 07:28:59 PMin the bottom right picture it appears there is a mould line running down the back of his right arm
Yeah, the mould lines on these guys are a bit oppressive. You think you've cleaned them all up, then you find another one. Still, you get what you pay for, and they were deliciously cheap (yes, cheap has a flavour).

Good call on the wrists too.

QuoteI think he needs something interesting on his face to set him apart from the mooks in his squad
Another good idea. I had been considering some sort of comm head set, because I think the left side of the face isn't as good than the right, and could do with something to sort of trick the viewer into thinking that's why it's asymmetrical. That said, a bionic eye could do the same...

... Although I do rather like the idea of him with a 'tache. I shall experiment.

QuoteAre you planning on having some kind of heavy/special weapon team in the squad?
Yup. I've already started converting one guy to have a meltagun, and the Bren guns are held in such a way to make them pretty impossible to remove, so I'm anticipating one with a heavy stubber (possibly with "Radio guy" converted to be the loader), and the other converted into a flamer (if a lengthy one).
And there may be a fourth special/heavy weapon, depending on what ideas I get (grenade launcher or plasma gun are possibles).

That is quite a lot of firepower, but it'll be swapped in and out as needed (I expect there'll always be at least a couple of them on the bench, so to speak) and I wasn't going to pass up a chance to finally make some of the heavier weapons.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Sneak preview of my IGT characters! You're not getting much, as most of it's being saved for a DM article, but here's a slightly rough sketch.

There are no prizes for working out what this weapon will be called. But you do get a clue - it's carried by a woman with a four letter name:

GW's =I= articles

Hadriel Caine

is it... Kate? :P Great sculpting work on the commissar. The work put into the rhino is staggering as well. Fantastic detail.
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

precinctomega

Bob?

Quote"mallet quality"

Totally tweeted.  And if anyone asks, I came up with it first.

I love AR Fix.  Can we get a scale shot?

Your work on the Rhino is putting me to shame as I still have Gav's old cardboard Rhino sitting in a box awaiting my attention.  If I can earn myself a breather from Precinct Omega work, I might see if I can do something with it for the IGT.

R.