Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Marco does something

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 18, 2009, 12:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heroka Vendile

*grabs tape measure* *grabs kroot used in official booster pack pics (as painted by Mark Bedford)*

~84mm to quill top
~71mm to eye level
~36mm inner leg length
~34mm torso length
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

MarcoSkoll

I knew it was big, but I didn't think it was quite that big! Well, that'll be fun!
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Hadriel Caine

I love the Kroot. Can't wait to see your interpretation of them Marco.
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

MarcoSkoll

You'll have to wait at least a bit! I'm not in a rush to add more unfinished projects to my list.

My current to do list includes:
- Finish painting of Katlien and her warband
- Paint Maya's model
- Finish sculpting Jax, Gianna and Arden for Marco's warband. Consider adding "Alpine".
- Finish sculpting the Sororita.
- Get the first 15 NPC guard finished (Yes, there were 14, now there are 15.)
- Paint the Rhino.
- Continue Sentinel assembly (the legs are mostly finished, body needs to be cut and assembled).
- Keep working on the Jubilee.

After that:
- Work on my half of the trade for Shannow's carnosaur.
- Make some grox.
- Make Bloody Paulus.
- Get working on a Tau Warband (which will probably mean the standard fare of a Fire, an Air, a Water, an Earth and a Kroot, although I may later add a low ranking Ethereal. I have the start of the Air and Water already from Gav).
- Work on the Traitor Guard.
- Cast 10 sets of Guard helmet, rebreather, flak armour, rifle and shoulder pads, to act as a base for sculpts to expand the NPC guard to a platoon of 25.
- Make Eldar Guardian base model. Cast copies and convert at least one warrior from each of the Eldar Aspects, including the new FW Shadow Spectres.
- Make a Warlock and Wraithguard (probably out of the plastic Wraithlord), for the heck of just having some very powerful Eldar models.
- Finally get around to making Hotblack Desiato and his warband (which will probably include the above Paulus).
- Make a 54mm copy of that cancelled Necromunda bounty hunter.
- Make a model for Inquisitor Byssus.
- Make Fischer Monkshood and his warband.
- Continue work on 54mm motor pool, possibly including, but not limited to: Land Speeder Storm; Chimera (and parts for its variants); Leman Russ (and variant parts); Variant parts to for the Rhino to be a Razorback, Predator, Whirlwind or Damocles; Valkyrie; Variant parts for a Sentinel power lifter. I'm also tempted by the idea of a Deathwatch Dreadnought and a few other aircraft. I'm still talking myself down from making a Land Raider.

I'm going to have to get busy, I think. I'm also going to have to buy at least two big model cases.

GW's =I= articles

Ynek

Certainly a big to-do list...

And I thought I had it bad with my epic necron army, Thaddeus's warband, and a few semi-commission sculpts to finish...
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Stormgrad

Lol Marco is always way to busy for me to keep up with, the Guard equipment that your planning on, chance of it somehow making its way into enterprising individuals hands in exchange for our services or cash

Molotov

That's a great list, Marco. I have to admit that, though I've seen Rhodes (et al), I'm not sure I've ever seen your miniature for Skoll himself. Do you have a picture of him?

I like your enthusiasm, and I can't wait to see many of the items on your list come to fruition. What I find interesting is that it includes a number of characters that would seem more at home on the 40k battlefield rather than the Inquisitor tabletop. Many of the Guardsmen, the Fire Warrior, Eldar Aspect Warriors, Wraithguard, a Predator, a Deathwatch Dreadnought...?

I appreciate that many of them you're making for pleasure, and enjoyment - but it's interesting how INQ28 players often get criticised for including such models. Would you ever consider bringing those figures to the Inquisitor tabletop, or are they simply a modelling exercise?

(I'll bookend that thought by saying that I appreciate there is an argument that it's far harder to bring a 54mm Dire Avenger to the table than it is a 28mm one. I appreciate that you're also an experienced Inquisitor player, but I just found it interesting.)
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

Kaled

I kind of agree with Molotov - it's a bit of a strange list for Inquisitor. Much as I'm excited to see all those 54mm versions of 40k models, I'd much rather see some that fit more with the Inquisitor ethos. So rather than all those Aspect Warriors I'd prefer to see a small community of Exodites. Or instead of all those military vehicles I'd rather see a whole load of civilian or industrial ones instead.

Of course, I can't really talk as I did build a Valkyrie & Arvus...
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Swarbie

Quote- Finally get around to making Hotblack Desiato and his warband (which will probably include the above Paulus).

Now that's something I want to see . . .
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

axiom

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on April 01, 2011, 04:54:39 PM
- Make Eldar Guardian base model. Cast copies and convert at least one warrior from each of the Eldar Aspects, including the new FW Shadow Spectres.
- Make a Warlock and Wraithguard (probably out of the plastic Wraithlord), for the heck of just having some very powerful Eldar models.

To be honest, I'd love to see any and all from that list, but 54mm scale Eldar really teases my interest! (Whether it's a fit with Inq or not :) )

MarcoSkoll

It's not as "not Inquisitor" as you might think.

The actual PCs like Byssus, Monkshood, Hotblack (and their associated companions), the Bounty Hunter... these are going to be a sizeable chunk of the work. Hotblack, being a Rogue Trader, will have a few weird and wonderfuls in his warband - I've got plans to develop at least one new xeno race to aid him in his quest for glory.

The power armoured Sororita? Yeah, I've yet to decide on her exact home, but I have ideas about her being in a missionary's warband - partly as a bodyguard, partly as a recognisable emblem of the Ecclesiarchy.
It was the best solution I could think of to the "Power Armour problem" of being incredibly unsubtle - they don't want to be subtle! I had considered her serving a Monodominant in the Hereticus, but I felt the agents of the Ecclesiarchy had been less done in Inquisitor (and it's easier to justify the rest of the group being a bit less upgunned to compensate for her). So there's probably also an Ecclesiarchy warband in the works.

Or maybe I'm just making excuses to use what I thought was a nice picture as a model, but I'd like to think I didn't need too many excuses for that.

~~~~~

The vehicles... well, many Imperial vehicles have their basis in one of the few STC designs. The Rhino is ubiquitous, and after I've built the basic frame, it seems like a triviality to add the bits to make it into its variants. The Razorback, Predator, Whirlwind and Damocles are summed up by: Make a turret plate to replace the top hatch (one of which would serve for all of them), then make a new turret/radar dish. Well, maybe sponsons for the Pred, but that's not that much work either.
A Repressor would be a bit more work, but a natural fit if the Arbites are involved.

The Leman Russ also comes in the Atlas tractor variant, the Chimera also has the Trojan, the Sentinel power lifter... while their battlefield variants might not be all that Inquisitor friendly, these variants can comfortably find a home in Inquisitor. There isn't that much variation between the military and the industrial in 40k.

The Dreadnought is admittedly much harder to find a home for, but it's going to be further down the to-do list and more an exercise in modelling than anything else. If one day, it finds an opportunity to act as a GM controlled objective/ally/nuisance, then great.

One thing that I missed off the list is that I would like to make a Tauros (probably with extension pieces to also be the Venator) - there are a few odd shapes that would be hard to do in plasticard, but it seems perfect for Inquisitor otherwise. As the FW description says: "a common sight on many frontier worlds within the Imperium, where it is used as a utility vehicle" - however, presumably without the big guns on the back.

~~~~~

Yes, the NPC guard don't need expanding to a cast of 25, but it's always going to nag me if I don't make them into a full platoon. (As per the British Army's three squads of 8, plus a platoon Sergeant).

I don't plan on them being used in full force except on rare occasions, but when I do (obviously with very simplified rules, if any at all) - it'd really help get the massed manpower of the Guard across.

~~~~~

The Eldar... again, GM controlled antagonists (or allies, if they're in a good mood for once) - I have no intention of them being PCs. The thing is, when you start thinking about making one model in the standard Eldar armour design, it becomes easy work to cast copies and convert up the Aspects.

The deal is that I'm an Eldar player in 40k, and a big fan of the model range. I'll eventually do some more Eldar - possibly Exodites, possibly Pirates (Yarr!) - but when Eldar hit my mind "Let's do one of each of the Aspects, they'll make good NPC enemies" takes a lot less time to make it into a fully fledged plan than "Well, what about some Eldar PCs... Well, I'll want an X. What's he/she going to be like? How are they going to be armed? What have they done before.... etc, etc, etc. What about the next person, etc, etc, etc."

(And obviously, with Guardian bases, converting some Corsairs like FW are working on wouldn't be a big challenge.)

In short: More Eldar on the way, but I haven't yet decided exactly what they're going to be.

~~~~~

The Tau and the Fire Caste: If I'm doing Tau, why not start with one of each Caste? Anyway, any expedition would have some protection, and I imagine there's more to the Fire Caste than just what GW has put onto the 40k table.

Quote from: Molotov on April 02, 2011, 01:10:04 PMThat's a great list, Marco. I have to admit that, though I've seen Rhodes (et al), I'm not sure I've ever seen your miniature for Skoll himself. Do you have a picture of him?
Here - and I still haven't fixed the sloppy paint job. Add that to the list as well.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Whoops - forgot this earlier. I would make it an edit, but I usually miss those if they're not made fairly quickly, so:

Quote from: Stormgrad on April 02, 2011, 12:22:04 PMThe Guard equipment that you're planning on, any chance of it somehow making its way into enterprising individual's hands?
Maybe, but bear in mind, it's only going to be the equipment (I'll be sculpting the bits of model in between) and it's going to be scaled to match Airfix models, not the bulkier Inquisitor range. So a rather "advanced modeller's kit", really.
However, I might have some "Space Elves" available at some point for anyone who can see a use for that kind of thing.

If you're looking for booster pack thingies, I may do some at some point, but it will depend on the successes of casting things like the Guard and the Eldar.
Possible projects there include a set of hands, some generic weaponry (possibly including some of the things I cooked up for the Revised Armoury), that sort of thing. Maybe heads (if I make some good ones), but I think 54mm heads are quite well catered for by ranges already out there.

I'm still torn on whether I should try and make Paulus into a kit. Aside from the legal side, I feel a bit mean making him and not offering the parts to others - but on the flipside, part of the charm is that he will be unique.

GW's =I= articles

Stormgrad

i was indeed thinking along the line of a bits pack, I know how much you like the shadow specter models i thought they where very pretty too and as NPC's i can see them being a formidable force, maybe even forcing two opposing warbands to join up in order to deal with the threat they pose

MarcoSkoll

Well, I said my laptop was broken, so I've been working on some models I brought on this trip instead.

Apologies for the unsophisticated nature of the pictures, I hate Photobucket's editor (and refuse to use it) and I lost Photoshop with my laptop, so there is no neatening of crops or contrast tweaking.

Anyway, the Sororita I've slowly been working on:

Back

It's (possibly obviously) based on this piece I've had a liking to for a while - the only planned change is to add a hand-to-hand weapon somewhere (even though I do tend to treat characters with power armour as having armoured gauntlets). Maybe a Gears of War-esque chainblade attachment for the bolter, because that's sufficiently hilariously non-feminine.

So, after this, the next stage is to work on the underbust corset that makes up Sororita power armour.

And yes, I know Sororita power armour normally has a second cloth to cover the backside (a la a loincloth, but for the bum - insert the proper name here), but that'd make undercuts that were hard to paint, so I'm going for callipygian buttock armour instead.
It seemed appropriate, given how many other features of Sororita armour are better described by the adjective "shapely" than "practical".

~~~~~

And someone I think will end up in Hotblack's crew - Gav's Techpriestess. Except there's been a bit too much oestrogen around my modelling desks recently (of the PCs I have in some state of work, all but one of the other 10 are female), so she's had a mastectomy and sex change.

Side

I want it to look a bit different to the other versions (be they male or female), so I started with a bitz bash to make a big implant tool, and I'm in the middle of deciding on either a hood or data cable dreadlocks - although if I don't do the dreadlocks, I have another character planned they'd be great for.

~~~~~

In other news, I'm thinking about a slightly weird arch-militant for Hotblack (and they may push Paulus into another warband). It's not hugely original, but the idea is a character with two additional arms (perhaps bionic, perhaps vat grown), so they can wield even more weapons.
I have this vision of them drawing four different pistols in the same instant to simultaneously shoot a different assailant with each one - and I'm sure a Rogue Trader could find a job for a man like that.

GW's =I= articles

judge-minos

Love it, nice start on the sororita. I always wanted to replicate that image too, it's one of the best pictures ever  made of a battle sister.

Like the mechanicus as well.

Good job.