Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Marco does something

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 18, 2009, 12:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molotov

I found two of the Phobos bolters on eBay for £2.25 each - which I don't think is too unreasonable.

The link should be here.

Looking forward to more progress with this unique model!
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

MarcoSkoll

Ah, eBay. The option that never occurs to me. Yes, £2.25 is indeed much better money for the one bolter I need, and there are even a few other parts I could use on his store.

While looking around, I also ran across the Mk IV backpacks which would be a "good enough" approximation of an SoB power pack if you cut the "cones" off the power pack exhausts, but I'll stick with the one I've already spent hours butchering.

QuoteLooking forward to more progress with this unique model!
Well, it's obviously unique on the basis I'm making it (mostly) from scratch, but in a more general sense, I am a little surprised there aren't more 54mm Battle Sisters.

The Daemonhuntress would seem like an easy candidate for conversions, but perhaps it's just that finding a backpack and bolter to fit her is difficult. (28mm is probably too small, and Artemis' far too big).

EDIT: Bitz bought. Also got some of the Elysian weapons and other odd bits (Grey Knights swords mostly).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Right. The FW bitz arrived today. Had to straighten one of the Elysian sniper rifles with application of hot water, and the Phobos will need a little clean up, but that's easy work.

~~~~~

I'm afraid that's not much of an update, but I haven't got on with much recently because I've been doing things ranging from writing the Autumn Conclave/my segment of the VoIP DH campaign/more Ad Vitam Aeternam, rebuilding air rifles, dog training, plus I told myself I had to clean my bedroom so I can actually model in there without working on top of old junk.

However, tidying has still yielded some interesting results.

I have a shoebox basically filled with a job lot of parts I got from an acquaintance who played GW long ago, but found some leftover stuff he thought I could use, some of it actually going back to 2nd Ed 40k. This box has actually been in my room for a few months actually and while I organised the bitz a few months ago, I'd forgotten most of what was in it.

Going through it again, I picked out some of the stuff I thought I could put to use. One of the things was an Avatar that... well, I haven't many compliments of the painting, but he must have been younger than when I got into the hobby when he did it:

The arms are missing, but with the paint stripped and the legs lengthened (they're proportionally short, and the model isn't quite tall enough for Inquisitor), I think it could serve as a good basis for that Warlock I was musing about.

There were also these:

They seem familiar, but I can't actually name where they're from. Or for that matter, figure quite how they fit together. I can get them to stack vertically, but I suspect I may be missing some parts to clip them together side-to-side. Still, even if they're missing bits, there's still 12 panels that I should be able to combine with some plasticard to make a small building.

However, both are low priority until my stuff for the Summer (assuming there is one) and Autumn Conclaves is done. I'm afraid I'm only really presenting them to provide some content for the thread until I can get back to the more interesting stuff.
Still, having said that, you're probably all breathing a sigh of relief that Marco isn't about to go off on another tangent and thus not finish what he's currently working on.

GW's =I= articles

Molotov

Those are Necromunda bulkheads. They were never supposed to sit properly next to one another because the Necromunda buildings weren't designed that way. Nice find, though!
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

MarcoSkoll

Of course. I never really got into Necromunda until well after GW was only marginally interested in the SGs any more, and ended up mostly using Catachan conversions for my gang anyway.
It seems that they're a reasonably popular OOP item, so I might have to do something slightly less crude than was my original plan, but as I said, a future project, so plenty of time to think about it.

Whichever way, good to know that them not fitting together wasn't me being stupid.

GW's =I= articles

Hadriel Caine

I made an SoB character using the damonhuntress years ago. Used the INQ heavy bolter on her. Not sure if I have a pic now though...

(background in this image http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/AdamCunis/Inquisitor/DSC01967.jpg)

I think yours is going to look fantastic.

Good job realising the proportion issue with the Avatar, I knew there was one but hadn't figured it out exactly- had planned something similar before.

The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

MarcoSkoll

Today, a special treat. A "Marco does something" where Marco has actually done something.

Firstly, a WIP Godwyn-Deaz with Chain-Sarissa:

I originally had thought about just using the FW chainblade attachment as is, but as I was contemplating it, it seemed like it would be ill balanced on the model and I went to a silly amount of trouble to try and closer replicate the Gears of War Lancer. It still needs more work, but it's looking okay so far.

Sculpting a pair of 2mm tall fleurs-de-lys is going to be all different kinds of not fun, but needs must.

If you're wondering why the magazine is missing, it's because she kept messing up her bolter drills so badly she had to be sent to flagellate herself. However, the poor girl has no arms yet, so it both explains why she kept dropping the magazine and will limit the degree of self harm she can inflict, so all is good.

More sensibly, it's because what isn't obvious on the FW site is that only right side of the magazine has an open window, the left is just blank. Based on the picture I'm working from, that's not going to do, so I'm going to have to procure a replacement.
Unfortunately, its magazine is bigger than the open-sided ones from the Chaos Marine bolters. I might be able to find a storm bolter which I can cut down in my bitzbox, but I'm anticipating that I may simply have to scratchbuild one.

I also did a very little with the Sister herself, adding the basic shape of the backpack's attachment point and sharpening some details with a Dremel, but it's not much and the pictures came out badly, so you'll have to wait for me to do something interesting enough that I'll take pictures again.

Second, some new armatures, unposed as of yet.

From left to right: a Stormtrooper; Nyi; and Evelyn.

In order...

The Stormtrooper is... well, he's a Stormtrooper. I don't know much about him, because he's not my character.
He's part of a trade where I offered up a sculpt in exchange (which is not likely to be a regular deal, so stop wondering if you've got anything I want. Except 3rd Edition Howling Banshees, then I'd consider it.), and the eventual owner told me that he'd like his green stuff to be Stormtrooper shaped.

Based on the reference image I was given, he's going to be an excuse to give the Masq-mini tube tools I've ordered a real workout.

Nyi... this is the second attempt at her, as I hated the way the first one was turning out. I had an idea that seemed great, but it started to feel less like it had a place in 40k as I went.

I managed to get GIMP and my graphics tablet working well enough on this computer to let me work with some small files. I can work on the sketches of the DH characters, but the Amalathian cover is too much for this poxy machine - but this time, I scrawled the basics of a new concept image (not the final pose).

It's bad drawing and not a complete design, needing things like a design for the shoulderpad, but it's a start.
I've borrowed a certain amount from the fact I've been listening to Van Canto (a Metal a cappella band) on Youtube recently - some of the ideas come from what Inga Scharf was wearing in one of the videos, but I intend to remain unapologetic for that, as I love the idea of an Aquila choker. Not so sure I'll love it when it comes to doing it on the model, but... wait, I've already made this joke, haven't I?

Evelyn:
To be based on this one from the RT RPG book, as I said before.

There's a good chance that if I can find an excuse to show enough of her ankle/foot so her footwear is obvious, she'll get something based off the Portal 2 long fall boot. (I have to admit, it's a game I've yet to play - the decision is based off the promotional videos I've been watching while I wait for the price to come down a bit.)

I've got a few reasons for why she wears fancy high heels brewing in my head, but it's stupidly late, so you'll need to let me be slightly more coherent before I decide on which one. Whichever it is though, it'll probably come down to Catfall or something based on it.

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: Molotov on May 11, 2011, 01:35:09 AM
Those are Necromunda bulkheads.

i may have scans of the necromunda card sections (i've just gotten hold of a load of these) if you wanted to recreate 'em in plasticard  :)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Dolnikan

A nice way to attach the sarissa, it even makes sense which is a dangerous thing for them.
Of course the other three models look very good as well. :)
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

MarcoSkoll

The Sister as she is now, and the first big update on the main chunk of the model in most of a month, I think. However, I'll hopefully get my pace back soon.

Rear

The most recent stage hasn't set yet, so hasn't been neatened in post-production (i.e. tidied with the craft knife), so apologies for that.

You can see some of the Masq-mini tubing around the neck (only the inside one is ribbed, the other is plain) - seems a simple enough process, and looks pretty professional for what was only a few minutes work.

Still lots to do, even ignoring the obviously missing stuff like the head or arms, but there's still six weeks before the Summer 'Clave, so I'm not too screwed for time if I actually remember to stop procrastinating.

Quote from: greenstuff_gav on May 19, 2011, 06:21:06 PMI may have scans of the necromunda card sections if you wanted to recreate 'em in plasticard
Wouldn't say no.

Quote from: Dolnikan on May 20, 2011, 08:45:58 AMOf course the other three models look very good as well.
I think you should reserve judgement on those guys... :P

GW's =I= articles

Dolnikan

I love how the sister looks, the tubing is a very nice addition to her. I look forwards to seeing more of how she develops.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

MarcoSkoll

When I started on the Battle Sister, I knew I was going to have to cheat on the beads for her chaplet. It would be a 'mare to sculpt, it wouldn't look right and it just wouldn't be possible to do that across the large mid-air gaps either. They also just don't do jewellery beads or chain small enough (and chain wouldn't have fit the background anyway). So I figured I'd probably use fine brass wire and some careful painting to produce the illusion of it being a chain of beads.

I am very glad to tell you I was utterly wrong. I've only done part of it so far, but...

The Masq-Mini TubeTools have just hit this one straight out of the park, producing a chain of tiny beads barely half a millimetre across. Try doing THAT with guitar wire.

GW's =I= articles

Dolnikan

Wow, that looks very good, it looks very realistic especially considering their size.

MarcoSkoll

Oh dear. I've been a bit busy with other things, but I hadn't realised how long it was since I'd updated this thread.

With the Summer Conclave approaching, I think it's time to put on the pace and keep updating regularly...

So, without further ado:

Usual caveats about the photos showing up mistakes that I've got to fix, of course. Click for full size, it seems the forum is auto-resizing them.

Aside from neatening up, this is most of the GS work on the body done (as the kit on her belt will probably be plastic bits mostly). The only real remaining stuff is, if I think I can, the Fleur-de-Lys necklace/chain (for your convenience, the original image).
I'd like to, but the Ministorum symbol in the middle of her chest is a bit oversized, so it's going to make sculpting a chain in an area crowded with that and the Fleurs-de-lys on her breasts a little challenging.

We'll see. You may also notice the chaplet beads are missing here. I got thinking about durability, so I took them off and will be redoing them with a core of fine brass wire to give them a bit more strength.

Anyway, the head is in progress separately, and I'm debating how best to do the arms.

And the back:

...without the backpack in the way (currently only pinned, it's not being glued until after painting:

I debated other ways of doing the bow for her corset, but eventually I decided that anything relying on greenstuff "thread" would be very frail, so that is a tiny reef bow tied in 0.3mm brass wire. Slightly fiddly.

GW's =I= articles

Shannow

Simply stunning I do hope she makes it to the igt all done mare! She'd be a pleasure to play!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.