Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Marco does something

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 18, 2009, 12:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

Going off on yet another tangent (but that's me for you)...

This one has been sat around blu-tacked for years now, so I've gone and pinned/glued it all. It still needs GSing, but I'll have to work out what hair he's having (if any at all).

Unusually for me, this is a model who I haven't the foggiest of who it might be, but I had a pile of what used to be old characters and these bits just looked good together. Probably not very original given it's a simple combination of two early models (if you ignore the Kal Jericho laspistols, relics of when they still did bitz), but I like it.

But I have to say - at this stage, having had to make many different cuts and holes in most of the numerous whitemetal models on my modelling desk, I am only being reminded why I largely tend to sculpt rather than convert. Green Stuff takes far less work.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

The half Slick and half Sgt. Stone, who is currently being referred to as Sgt. Slock:

Back
He got unlucky - no hair, just a beret. Traveller did this to a Slick recently and I liked it, so yoink. Unfortunately, a brainfart had me forget which way military berets "flop", so that's probably going to have to get redone.

~~~~~

And now, another Sgt. Stone - finally getting on with Bloody Paulus again.

Unfortunately, I only know of five pictures of the original Bloody Paulus (three in the rulebook, one from the 2002 Catalogue and one in Exterminatus 10 - the last of which I don't have with me), and they don't show him from very many angles. Particularly annoyingly, unless Exterminatus 10 shows an angle I don't remember, the rear right quarter is going to be mostly guesswork.

Still, it's proving good fun. I like making models that never were.

GW's =I= articles

precinctomega

Not "Sgt Schlock"?

He would make an awesome INQ character!  In fact, I can imagine running games of INQ using the background and characters from Schlock Mercenary really easily.

R.

Adlan

Quote from: precinctomega on August 14, 2011, 08:23:07 PM
Not "Sgt Schlock"?

He would make an awesome INQ character!  In fact, I can imagine running games of INQ using the background and characters from Schlock Mercenary really easily.

R.

There are actually some 28mm minitures for some of Schlocks Characters. I painted one up for my dad's birthday. Might be good for Inq28, but Schlock is a Powergamers dream.

MarcoSkoll

Sergeant Schlock is indeed the inspiration for the nickname. The worrying thing is that said nickname will probably stick in one spelling or the other.

The other worrying thing is now I want to do a character with a plasma gun that hums ominously.

QuoteHe would make an awesome INQ character!
I'm not so sure. Like Adlan says, he's not exactly balanced. Fast, strong, and anything short of vaporising bits of him is just temporary damage.

It wouldn't be unlike treating the T-1000 Terminator as a good Inquisitor character. Perhaps as a GM antagonist, but it's just too powerful to be a player character.

GW's =I= articles

Hugh Jarse

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on August 14, 2011, 01:11:45 AM
Unfortunately, a brainfart had me forget which way military berets "flop"

Your OK either way mate as its country dependant, British and yank put the teddy-bear ear above the left eye, French Foriegn Legion, amongst others, above the right..... or you could go down the Frank Spencer route  :-\

Adlan

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on August 15, 2011, 04:26:10 PM
The other worrying thing is now I want to do a character with a plasma gun that hums ominously.
In my head, all Plasma guns hum ominiously. Either ominious for you or the guy your are gonna shoot.  ;D

Are you going to put a Cap badge or any insignia on the Beret?

MarcoSkoll

I don't know. I need to decide if I'm redoing it first - it's not essential, but I probably will if I mix up too much GS at some point.

However, good question. I might see if any of the FW brass Imperial eagles I have are small enough. I don't think so, but we'll see.

~~~~~

On the note of Schlock, it occurs to me that while he might be a questionable Inquisitor character, many of the plots involved would be good ones for a Rogue Trader adventure - the first Credomar story, if it were adapted for 40k, would be a good one for RT.

GW's =I= articles

Easy E

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on August 13, 2011, 12:50:13 AM

But I have to say - at this stage, having had to make many different cuts and holes in most of the numerous whitemetal models on my modelling desk, I am only being reminded why I largely tend to sculpt rather than convert. Green Stuff takes far less work.

Couldn't agree more. 

This is a fun log.  Keep up the interesting work. 
^Cheapskate^

MarcoSkoll

Well, as this topic has been kicked...

I'm afraid the work has been delayed because my green stuff has gone funny on me. It was reasonable when I started this trip, but it's been left in a hot place or something and it's gone stiff and rubbery.

Fortunately, I have three rolls stashed in the freezer at home, so all should be well when I get back (Wednesday, most likely) but it's still a bloody nuisance right now.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

I'm largely mired in secret stuff for the Autumn Conclave now, so you can't see that - but here's something else instead*.

Obviously a lot of it is just crude bulking, without the upper layers added, but it'll give you a feel for the end result.

The only reasonably detailed work so far is some of the work on the helmet (which isn't quite as scrappy as it looks in the photo) and the work on the "ribcage". For some reason there were four ribs on the left flank but two on the right... so I added some more, which also helped straighten up the pattern on the chest (on the Avatar, it's only hung around his neck and is wonky, but here it'll be an integral part of the rune armour).

If you're wondering about scale, he's a tall one - 60mm to the eye.

*Not that there's no chance this guy will appear at the Autumn 'Clave - I may run an Eldar based scenario if the mood takes me. The wonderful thing about Eldar is you can have them poking their nose into anything for no apparent reason.

~~~~~

In unrelated news, I can't find where I've misplaced my Daemonhuntress. Damn, an extra sister for the Autumn 'Clave would have been useful.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Well, I've just bought two kilos of lead shot for the Jubilee. Fun for all the family, as long as you don't eat it.

One thing I'm having trouble with though is finding small-ish quantities of fine (paint grade) aluminium powder. eBay is a no-go, as it's banned under their pyrotechnics rules, and most of the sites I've found are selling it in eye-popping quantities, asking stupid money or don't give any indication of the fineness of the powder. Has anyone got any good recommendations?

(And before you ask, it does need to be powder as opposed to just metallic paint.)

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

I'll take that as no-one knowing about the aluminium powder. Different question then:

I'm considering buying a cheap canned-air airbrush to make painting things like the Rhino and Sentinel a little easier. Worthwhile, or just a complete waste of time and money?

GW's =I= articles

Trasher

Well Marco, wouldn't a big brush be sufficient, and cheaper, than the airbrush if you'll only paint the Rhino and Sentinel?

But on the other hand, can you see any other use for it? For example painting terrain or a whole table perhaps?
My Nurgle Cult Thread on The Conclave
My Nurgle Cult Thread on Papa Nurgle
"Come on, daemons live in the warp. [snip] hours turn into cm, cm turn into walruses."

MarcoSkoll

I will be doing more vehicles in future, so it's not only the Rhino and Sentinel.

I'm not really looking for the cheapest option - I'm looking for an easy one.

GW's =I= articles