Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Marco does something

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 18, 2009, 12:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallulahBelle

what about the cyber eagle thing from the inquisitor with the hammer?

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Knobby2 on March 18, 2012, 09:09:05 PMAnother one for the eagle could be the vulture from the ogre stonehorn kit, has a lot of detail on it
While a realistic vulture would offer some aid to the project, GW's are... exaggerated... in a way that means they're not hugely helpful.

Quote from: jediknight129 on March 18, 2012, 09:26:40 PMwhat about the cyber eagle thing from the inquisitor with the hammer?
"In an ideal world, I'd get the Glovodan eagle from Inquisitor Lord Coteaz, but it's not something I'm willing to buy the model for and an unlikely part to be able to bribe off people."

~~~~~

In any case, I think I'm now committed to having to sculpt it.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Heroka Vendile

Ahem.

This is some excellent work here David.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

MarcoSkoll

A good find, those vultures (did better than I did in my attempts) - but I think a 54mm vulture would be too big to look good here. Golden Eagles (which I'm using as my basis as it's what the Romans Aquila was based on) are usually smaller, and even then I've got to be a bit conservative about the size, because they are bigger than you really think, sporting wingspans of over two metres.

But I'm already working on my one now, so nothing to gain really.

Anyway, have a picture of what's drying on my lamp at the moment:

GW's =I= articles

Dolnikan

She is getting better and better. I love all the detail, one stylish lady for sure.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Dwi

Nice work Marco shes looking good.
May The Emperor protect us from the dakness of the void. That or we can run around in little cricles and wave our arms and shout

MarcoSkoll

Today's news is I never want to see another fur cloak in my life. Five square inches of fur, all of which I did in one progressive stage.

I'm seriously glad I decided to change her from the original art, because having to sculpt her standing on a floaty fur cloak would have driven me mad(der).

P.S: Yes, she no longer fits on the base. Measuring to the back edge of the base may require GM interpretation or some kind of "template" to indicate where the base edge is, but a shorter cloak would have been terribly crass. (Well, that's what she told me, anyway.)

P.P.S: Yes, I am still progressing with the other models.

P.P.P.S: Apologies to Gav, as I may have made a press-mould of one of those skulls you sent me to help make up the numbers. You can never have too many skulls... or enough press moulds of useful generic bitz so you can use up any leftover green stuff at the end of a sculpting session.

GW's =I= articles

Dolnikan

That is a lot of fur on a single model, but I must say that it looks amazing. A marvelous model indeed.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

RobSkib

So, when are we going to see some photos of her painted and in action? ;)
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

MarcoSkoll

My final pictures will be waiting for some good daylight and a chance to fix a couple of things I'm not perfectly happy with (both of which because I need to send John himself pictures), but for anyone who will die of anticipation before then, have a picture:

GW's =I= articles

Heroka Vendile

wow david, your NMM technique, well, just everything, is superb with this model. The colour palette is on the right side of regally outlandish without becoming overbearing.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

MarcoSkoll

I take little to no credit for the choice of colour palette, given I couldn't see any justification for painting a piece based on JB's work anything other than the classic range of reds, browns, muted yellows and blacks. In this case, I just copied the damn thing.

The NMM... actually, I'd never done NMM before a month ago, other than in digital painting/colouring. I quite fast found it's easier than it's claimed to be - if you let your eyes drift a little out of focus, it's pretty easy to see where you've not painted the reflections you'd expect to be there.

GW's =I= articles

Dolnikan

Marvellous, a great model. I really love the model, it looks like it walked right outof the artwork.

Flinty

Ah - as usual an inspiration, nice paint job on an excellent sculpt. Well done, in every sense, Sir!

Neanderthal and Proud!

RobSkib

Exquisite, absolutely exquisite. I could pour heaps more praise onto this model, the choice of artwork to work from, the sculpting, the effort gone into creating her etc, but I know you're looking for some criticisms as well, so here goes.

It's worth pointing out that these points are incredibly minor and would otherwise seem pedantic, I know you're like me, however, and value all the constructive feedback you can get.

I know it was based off the artwork, but I'm not sure the inside colour of cloak works well with the colour of.. well.. everything else. It's a heck of a lot of yellow to paint, and a bold move, but I think it would have benefited from some distinction in hue or darkness from her dress, sleeves and other details on the main body. It could just be the lighting in the photograph, of course, but I think it would have emphasized the torso and legs much better if it were darker.

The only other thing I can think of is the face do you not water down your paints enough when you do them, or is it just a slightly rougher GS surface to work with from the sculpting stage? Either way, I've noticed it as a trend in your self-sculpts, your painted faces tend to be much less smooth than the paintjob on the rest of the models. I appreciate you put a LOT of effort into the colour choices you use, but would it be worth cutting back on the number of different colours to use (say, two or three at most from the basecoat) in favour of getting a smoother finish? Otherwise, it's an excellent paint job.
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.