Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Marco does something

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 18, 2009, 12:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

I haven't got time to do a proper update right now (although I have done some more detailing on the roundhouse and soldered together some tin cans as the start of the chemical silos - working on several bits at once might seem a bit schizophrenic, but there is some method in the madness. I want to be able to identify issues with part of the project early so I have more time to think about solving them).

However, I can show you the start of something else I'm planning on adding to the overall set - namely a (sort-of) functioning plasma generator.
There wasn't ever one of these in the original articles, but I think that by building some alternative centre-pieces in a similar style, it should allow the same terrain set to be used for a greater range of environments.

I've started with a 3" diameter mini plasma ball - it was originally intended for 5V USB power, but I've spent the afternoon upgrading the internals so it can safely be run off a slightly more lively 9V power pack.
(I was a little concerned about it possibly being too faint in well lit venues, hence the upgrade).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

cymrilian

Wow! That will be an awesome centre piece

mcjomar

Very nice.
RE: cans, I've always wanted to build up a few with gubbins attached to be oversized fuel tanks.
I had plans you see...  ;D
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

To elaborate over the short post last night, what I'm planning is something like this:

Namely, the Thermo Plasma Generator from Dawn of War. It's a design that will be somewhat familiar to WH40K veterans, with angular shapes that won't be too much of a pain to build, but also slightly bulbous so it will accommodate a plasma ball reasonably well.

I did try looking for cylindrical plasma lamps to better suit the DoW design, but couldn't find any that were the right size, a sensible price and where they didn't have a weird "antenna" shape (e.g. butterfly shaped), so a couple of compromises were necessary.

GW's =I= articles

seaglen

looking good!

as for the plasma generator - i attempted one here: http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2506.30

but never finished it...

MarcoSkoll

I've not updated you in a while, partly because I found myself rather demoralised by the fact that the London GT wouldn't be showing off 28mm Inquisitor as well, partly because I'm trying to avoid spending too much time blogging about projects rather than getting on with them.

Anyway, I've got the basic shape of the base of the plasma reactor, which is going to be going off the Dawn of War Thermo-Plasma generator:

That looks more or less like this so far.

The side panels are currently taped in place, but will eventually be magnetised, because they're hiding all the battery compartments:

Because the thing has been supercharged a bit for visual effect, the total power is 8 AA batteries. (Normally mini-plasma balls that take batteries run off 4 AAAs, but I actually deliberately ordered one that didn't, because I knew I'd be hacking it around anyway).

A plasma ball is going to eat batteries quite fast, so you can also see the new set of rechargeable batteries I've ordered (which are more advanced and less worn out than my old sets). My current guess on battery life is probably about six hours, as this can theoretically run batteries really low (it'll still have a little life all the way down to about 3-4 volts) but I've not yet had time to test it with the new cells.

That's probably long enough for most events if it's turned off during lunch and the like, although I have now got enough rechargeables to theoretically swap them out in the middle of the day.

GW's =I= articles

maglash1017

Looking great so far. This will be an awesome centrepiece for a game when it's done.

MarcoSkoll

Today's update is unfortunately boring, because although I've been working for ages, I've done so little actual modelling that it's not worth photographing.

The positives are that battery life has now been tested, and on 2800mAh rechargeables is right about six hours, although the intensity does taper off over about the last half hour. That's not absolutely perfect - 8 or 9 hours would be better for a full game day - but it's not so poor as to be a problem. (Batteries can always be changed if necessary).
And on the modelling front I have managed to find a shape for the generator struts I was happy with, make a template for that, and build the basic pin system that the struts will slot into.

The problem has been that that I decided I wasn't happy with the plasma ball's electrical shielding. This was right about the point I noticed my keyboard wasn't working all that well while the ball was turned on.
Electrical interference isn't at all unusual from plasma balls, but it's going to be a nuisance when I also sometimes use bluetooth speakers and the like for game sound effects. So I'm now adjusting the design to thread an earthed mesh throughout the structure to reduce the electromagnetic field it's chucking out.

(I've also swapped out the circuit's surge capacitor - the original was woefully inadequate and voltage spikes were leaking back into what should have been the low voltage side of the circuit. The replacement is out of an old disposable camera flash and has a far lower impedance).

As useful as it is to have a miniature plasma ball for projects like this, the idea of USB powered plasma balls is insane. It's not too bad when talking about a separate USB charger, but I'm sure that people must have fried computers with these.

GW's =I= articles

Van Helser

And I just thought plasma balls were pretty, not magnetic fields of doom...

It's a great looking build.  I guess this will hopefully grace the table at the London GT?

Ruaridh

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Van Helser on April 16, 2018, 08:17:41 AMAnd I just thought plasma balls were pretty, not magnetic fields of doom...
Electric field rather than magnetic, but yeah, they're high frequency high voltage generators. You might have seen that trick with Tesla coils where they can make nearby flourescent bulbs glow. The same basic trick applies here, although rather less intense:

The only eventuality in which I think it's actually at risk of damaging or hurting anything is if anyone were stupid enough to actually use one plugged into a computer's USB port, but it can interfere with nearby electronics, so I'm trying to at least dampen the field.

QuoteI guess this will hopefully grace the table at the London GT?
That's the plan with all of this terrain project.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Although delayed somewhat by wiring an earthed cage through the arms and base, the overall shape of the plasma generator is now in some kind of order (with 28mm and 54mm Kasrkin for a rough idea of scale):

It's not identical because of the need to accommodate the shape of the plasma ball and power supply (even after having cut down the base as best as possible*), but I'd like to think it's a reasonable homage to the original DoW building.

* However, I've still managed to fit in a considerable upgrade to the original plasma ball's electronics, so it's hopefully up for the challenge of sustained operation on an increased voltage.

There's still a fair whack of detailing required (although you can see some of the scoring I've already put in the plastic, around the edge of the patches of hazard chevrons), but that's for tomorrow.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Getting back to the proper meat of my Inquisitor terrain project (by which, I mean "stuff that was actually vaguely from the original WD articles, rather than shiny distractions"), I've decided that I want more greebly detailing on the terrain to add visual interest.

This means things like fittings for the railings, for which I'm hoping for some feedback - square bolts, or round rivets?

GW's =I= articles

Van Helser

The generator is looking great. Can't wait to have a character blow it up.

I like the round rivets myself.

mcjomar

Round. Definitely round.
Not sure if you can get away with sticking random gubbins to the walls, or can afford to acquire any embossed eagles.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Van Helser on April 26, 2018, 07:01:20 AMThe generator is looking great. Can't wait to have a character blow it up.
Hey! Stop giving away plot details!

Quote from: mcjomar on April 26, 2018, 08:07:25 AM
Not sure if you can get away with sticking random gubbins to the walls, or can afford to acquire any embossed eagles.
Random gubbins, yes.

As far as eagles - don't know.
I already have some sheets of the Forge World etched brass ones, but I'm not certain I want to use them. It would add detailing, but on the inverse, the original terrain articles were something of a cross between pre-Imperial/non-Imperial (an ancient undercity infiltrated by Chaos)...

~~~~~

As far as rivets/bolts, the vote seems pretty split. (Interestingly, so far it's almost exactly split between 54mm and 28mm players).

Currently, my inclination is bolts, as I have been/will be using using a lot of rivets elsewhere (on doors, chemical tanks, the hydraulic rams for the lift cage, etc) and I think it would make for more of a visual contrast to have a few bolts.

GW's =I= articles