Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Marco does something

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 18, 2009, 12:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

QuoteAlso, are the main structures all made out of foamboard?
The roundhouse and various polygonal buildings have their main structures as foamboard.

The plasma generator though is balsa, plasticard and some various brass tubing - the tubing is structural here, as it does need to disassemble for transport, and I needed to do that in a way that had electrical continuity. (The main structure is wired through with an earthed cage in order to try and reduce the interference on any nearby electronics - it is essentially a high frequency high voltage generator that I've then turbo charged).

QuoteAnd is there a reason, apart from cost, that for some detailing you use cardboard rather than plasticard?
Cost is a big one, but the other thing is that plasticard has no porosity, so it doesn't glue well with things like PVA (and with foamboard you are somewhat limited on glues, as things like superglue eat it).
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

TheNephew

Monolith is looking absolutely great, Marco.
This is going to be a fantastic board - thanks for putting all this work in.

MarcoSkoll

Well, my estimates of the right number of spray cans for the job has proven to be about a can less than correct, so there are some parts of the board that I'm not going to have the wherewithal to prime and paint in time. I'll be away during the week, so I've already hit my last deadline for deliveries, so that means no more work.
(It wouldn't be a proper build without at least some underestimation of remaining work versus remaining time... I am ever guilty of project escalation)

However, there's still a lot of board ready to go. I'm still declaring it a work in progress, as I'm planning to come back and add more detailing to the buildings and more pieces to the set when I have time (and materials!), but we will have something to play over.

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

A question on plasticard: Does it glue together (card to card) with polycement/other plastic glue? Does it also glue well with GW plastic parts?

I've got a fraction of a mind to begin designing and building my own bits of scenery, and use of plasticard for both basing and structural elements seems like a good choice for resilient tabletop terrain. It helps that I can buy 1-3mm thickness sheets relatively cheaply on ebay, and combine it with plenty of other cheap modelling bits also (wire mesh, for example). Of course I need room for that, and my fiancee might not be so happy if I get stuck in and swallow up space with all my wargaming stuff  :-\
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

It is just (solid) polystyrene, so yes, it glues with standard polystyrene glues.

I'm not sure I'd recommend it for (most) buildings though. A big advantage of foam board is that it is thick enough to glue edge on without bracing being vital, whereas plasticard glued perpendicularly needs struts. That means a foam board building can be thrown together much faster than a plasticard one.

I used plasticard for the plasma reactor because that was a more complex shape where thinner materials would be better, and where I knew I'd have to be adding ludicrous numbers of rivets (and it was going to be easier to glue them to plasticard than foam board).

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

I wouldn't mind bracing walls for plasticard I think - I'd probably do double layered, or open spaced walls maybe (so two layers of plasticard with sprue-based ribbing between them, much like real-life plasterboard wall construction between the supports of a house), or something to that effect depending on the type of construction.
But I guess it might mean I could also glue scenery trees and such with plastic basing to plasticard as a base, and then figure out a way to base/flock the subsequent area terrain.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

Doing it that way means a lot more work, as aside from meaning more cuts, it also needs to be more precise, because if your two sides of a wall end up more than the tiniest amount out (which is not at all difficult to get wrong), you then have an extra gap to plug or edge to sand off.

You certainly could do it that way if you want to do it that way, but I opted for foamboard as, despite already having had a large stack of plasticard available, I figured that foamboard was quicker, easier and cheaper for this project.

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

So, with foamboard, what kind of glue is necessary for building structures? Does polycement/plastic glue still work, or do I need an alternative choice? Superglue seems a bit fragile/brittle in some ways.

MarcoSkoll

Both poly cement and superglue* will eat the lining of foamboard, so you need things like a hot glue gun or UHU.

* As does spray paint, so you do need to make sure the edges are covered over or sealed with something like PVA. The corner bracing on these buildings is dual purpose - adding detail and covering over the edges.

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

Is UHU resilient enough? I've had issues with it becoming... bendy is the best work I can think of. The join becomes stretchy and rubbery, and tearable, which seems like it might be bad for scenery?
I guess I need a hot glue gun maybe.

What about this Gorilla Glue stuff I have heard about? Would that work?

MarcoSkoll

Hot glue is preferable (particularly because it has a very quick set time, which means the basic shape of a building can be bashed together very fast), but UHU has its uses when trying to glue things that you want a bit more adjustment time for.

I can't speak for Gorilla Glue - I've not tried using it!

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

For those who weren't there, a picture of the terrain as it was used in London for "Legacy":

This particular game was from the Sunday, when Chris decided he wanted to mix the Paraelix and forest sets for the game he would be GMing - mixing the sets was viable by this point, as we had fewer players on the Sunday and didn't need both tables at the same time.
(This was also the game where one of the GW staff who were covering the event stopped as he was going past and said "Hang on, I recognise that terrain...")

The terrain worked out well for the games - it's not quite as intricately detailed as the Cities of Death terrain we've used for a long time at WHW, but it proved versatile, playable and fairly immersive (the decision to make openable doors might have added to the effort, but it did seem to pay off as far as actually engaging with the game and getting photos).

Proper pictures of each set will need to wait for me to have somewhere proper to lay the terrain out - the other "full board" pictures I took weren't as good as this (or were using game mats that were supplied as part of the event and don't really give a fair impression of what I've actually put together), and I won't be back home for a few days to lay things out properly.

(As an aside - I know there has been some controversy about the terrain used by some other of the sub-events at the London GT, but I'd like to avoid that taking over any discussion here. I had two tables to get ready, not two hundred).

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

If you guys have been following the planning for the event I'm planning to run in August, you'll know that it's going to be set around the onset of a warp storm - and, obviously, the skein of reality being stretched thin is obviously going to have to have some detrimental effects. So we're going to need some detrimental effects.

I don't remember if I owned up to buying these, but the Juan Diaz Daemonettes were one of the early Made to Order runs, and while I think the Alex Hedstrom ones get more flak than they deserve*, there's still something about a single breast that makes me think "cancer survivor" more than "indeterminate sex/gender".
* Actually, although I don't particularly like the design, I think that the plastics are actually very skilfully sculpted, particularly given they're from before all the modern leaps in GW's plastic technology.

The other thing is that I'm a weirdo who's just generally more comfortable with metal and resin miniatures than plastics. As such, the Juan Diaz models at a reasonable price were the natural choice for me to explore the world of Slaanesh.

Now, the box was of 10, but a proper covey of Daemonettes of course has to be six, so as there were seven different designs, I put aside the three doubles and the one that I thought I might want to use as a specific character later on, and narrowed it down to these six:

Currently I'm trying to decide what to do with them. I'm not sure how much I want to do with them, although I am playing with the idea of giving them short tails (which is a feature I do like from the later design), and some reposing is always a possible option.
Suggestions on a postcard.

Something else I should own up to is that the new FW Necromunda bounty huntress Belladonna made her way into my backpack while I had a spare moment at the London GT last month:

Similarly to the daemonettes, I haven't yet fully settled on a plan for her, but she seemed like an opportunity to exercise my normal modelling style while working on a model that is actually from this decade. (Given I'm really not that comfortable with plastics, I often simply don't work on recent models, and when I do, it's still generally rather different to how I normally work).

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Well, oops. Apparently it's been four weeks since I said I'd start this, and I've managed to let myself get repeatedly distracted by writing IRE rules.

However, I finally got the saw out this evening and did the basic posing on one of the daemonettes (bottom middle in the earlier picture).

I've done a repose to go for an angle more of arrogant confidence, as vanity and pride are certainly Slaaneshii traits (although not exclusively).
I've also taken her down from four breasts to two, and will extend up the armoured corset to fill in the gap. The six breasted daemonette works for me as Slaanesh's number of power, but four felt more out of place.

~~~~~

I'm seeing these six as a specific covey of daemons rather than just nameless threats, in order that hopefully a narrative/reputation can build up around them over the various plots they're involved in.

Although I've not filled in every specific detail and I wouldn't be staggeringly surprised if someone's written something similar before, I'm thinking that...

The six were once human sisters, a set of sextuplets born to a noble line otherwise dying out through infertility. Naturally, this was the deep resentment of their father, who against all odds had been given six children, but not one male heir to continue his line. He was never again gifted children, and he came to drown out the shame of being the last of his line in a haze of alcohol and narcotics, with occasional bursts of violence towards his unwanted daughters. His final fall was literal - thrown by his daughters from his palace's thirty metre high grand balcony in response to his latest drunken abuse.

Claiming his position in unison, their rule was magnanimous, but with time, ever more advisers and political rivals would disappear after speaking out against them -  becoming increasingly unwilling to accept anything but their own superiority.

It is not clear exactly when Slaanesh took them. It might have always been his/her plan - drinking in the cruel torment of granting an impotent noble a family but no successor, and then eradicating his legacy entirely by corrupting each and every one of his children.

However, take them he/she did. When the Inquisition came and their palace was burnt to the ground, they laughed in unison from the balcony, welcoming the ecstasy of the rising flames.

GW's =I= articles

Van Helser

The Juan Diaz daemonettes were always the best.  Though I do have a fondness for the older oven glove wearing ones from the early 90s.

How tall is the Belladonna model?  I've heard that the new Necromunda figures are a good bit larger than the metal stuff.