Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Marco does something

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 18, 2009, 12:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Dallo on May 01, 2019, 11:15:08 PMSome really nice stuff you've got here. I haven't had the time to go through this entire thread yet, but I fully intend to.
I think you'll be met with an embarrassing number of forgotten and unfinished projects (although fortunately on that front, my Warhound Titan build has its own thread...), but thanks nonetheless.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Dallo

Well, now it's past my bedtime and I'm pretty tired, but I made it through your entire thread. Congratulations. You're a bad influence. :p

It's pretty cool to see the sped up version of your hobby journey. The greenstuff sculpts in particular were inspiring. GS isn't an aspect of the hobby that I'd be overly strong in, but you're tempting me to give it a go.

Believe it or not, I was looking through your Warhound log at lunch today and decided not to necro it, but since you've mentioned it, did you ever get any further with it?

Dallo

MarcoSkoll

A little, but not much. It's one of those things that'd be cool more than it is necessary, and is also pretty technically challenging, so it tends to fall by the wayside in favour of other things. For example, I have other plans like an Arvus Lighter, which would be simpler and more generically useful for scenarios.

But yes, I really should try to get it finished some day, because it was never supposed to be practical - it was supposed to be obnoxiously attention grabbing lunacy.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Seeing as I've apparently got a Salute display to run next year, I figured it was time to start turning more of my "maybe" projects into reality.

Obviously the really big guns would be Leander (both metaphorically and literally), but I want to get my hand back in before I commit effort to a model I've been procrastinating on for years.
In the meantime, I have that set of pepakura templates for the Arvus Lighter, which should be a lot more manageable and also a fairly versatile model.

Once I'd spent an hour fighting with the printer to scale the plans up to 54mm scale, the rough shape of the cargo bay came together relatively easily.

The pepakura plans don't come with an interior, but having one added a lot to my Rhino build, so I made the adjustments on the fly - besides, at 54mm scale, these models would be pretty floppy without some form of internal reinforcement, so it might as well double as detailing.

Depending on how they're positioned, there's space for up to about six characters on 40mm bases in there, so not as many as it officially carries (12), but enough to actually have an Inquisitor and entourage deploy from within.

GW's =I= articles

SiderosPeltarion

I have slowly been working my way through this thread since I joined the forum. So many great sculpts! Its really encouraging to see your progress, particularly with faces.
I have never been one for more than kitbashing but seeing your stuff has inspired me to be a bit more daring with the warband I am working towards. I wont be at your level but will start using bits of sculpting amd custom pieces when I can.
Would love to play against your stuff one day, particularly re-living the Paraelix Cobfiguration battle reports that was one of my all time fav White Dwarf battles.

MarcoSkoll

Picking up on the Arvus project, a small amount of progress:

It's not the neatest soldering or circuit board ever, but I had to build it as small as possible with what components I actually had on hand and it should do the job regardless. This is a fairly basic on-off pulse circuit, designed so that the Arvus can have blinky aircraft lights.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

And here we have the main layers for the Arvus's wings - which actually proved fairly time consuming with all the  careful cutting required needed for the surface detail.

This is the big part of making the wings, although there are still a few jobs to do - they still need to be spaced apart, have some LEDs plumbed in (headlights and navigation lights) and have the pins fitted to mount them (which will serve as both electrical connections for the lighting and provide a way to detach the wings for storage/transport).

Not to mention a bit more surface greebling and a butt-load of rivets, although some of that may end up being done in one combined stage for the whole model.

Still, slowly making progress.

(I also discover, looking back at Kaled's old Dark Magenta article on making his fliers, that I may well have found an entirely different set of Arvus pepakura templates - there's some notable differences in the design).

GW's =I= articles

cymrilian

looks great!
(Are you going to cover it in rivets? how long will that take!!)

MarcoSkoll

Yes, it will be riveted up... it's going to be a tedious process, but you do eventually get through it.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

I realise I've not shown you the main body in a while. The main shapes of the engines and cockpit are in place, and the detailing process is starting (which largely needs to be done before adding things like the landing skids).

Looking a little closer at the cockpit, I've modified the shape from the blueprints to have the bevelled edges that show on the FW model.

And as far as the electronics that you can just about see wedged in there (there's another battery holder on the opposite side of the cockpit - these components need at least two batteries, but with a fully accessible interior, there's no room for a double battery box anywhere in this thing), the power conduits and junction boxes that have been added to the cargo compartment will actually be power conduits and junction boxes - both serving as detail and functional components.

GW's =I= articles

maglash1017

Looking mighty interesting. Inspiring as well, you do some things with plasticard I would love to replicate!

MarcoSkoll

... um, although I've not been making as much hobby progress as I hoped due to having to try to work on things surrounding the 'Clave and Dark Magenta, apparently, I've failed to post some updates here!

These are the mounting pins for the wings (making them removable for transport), which also serve as the power connections to the LEDs:

And there's a video of blinky LEDs here.

GW's =I= articles

FierceDefence

Smart and functional, I like!

MarcoSkoll

As the events thread mentions, with coronavirus keeping people at home, I'm trying to look at alternatives.

There are online tabletop systems, but the obvious disadvantage to those is that people can't use their existing characters and models.

... or so you might think. This was a rough test done with too few photos in bad light, but with no more than a consumer camera, some open source software and a bit of processing time:

I'll need to redo it with better photos to improve the result (the software is capable of much better), but Lady Riemann now exists as digital polygons.

GW's =I= articles

Cortez

What software are you using? Any chance of an idiots guide?