Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Marco does something

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 18, 2009, 12:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

This is five seperate prints so far (rear, front, a medley of parts for the roll cage/front suspension/interior, wheels, rear suspension), although if I'd been a little more organised I probably could have done it in four. I was expecting the final print to also include a weapon or weapons, but when I looked at the weapons I had available, they were poor enough that I decided I was going to redesign them and print those later. Had I planned ahead, I probably could have fitted the rear suspension parts into spare space on the first couple of prints, but it's not a particularly big deal.

I'll note that while I've made some alterations, this is at its core a model from Cults3D that I've scaled up. It doesn't have quite the same charm as one that's been painstakingly built from plasticard over weeks of work, but I've got the Rhino and Sentinel to prove that's possible.

On a similar note, I do plan to use the printer to create some of the parts for the Arvus, although I intend to model those pieces myself.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

When it came to my Paul Rudge/Paraelix Configuration terrain rebuild, it never got much greebling. Partly that's because there was a time crunch to have it ready for the London GT, partly because most of the greebles were components that would have been hard to get hold in sufficient numbers at the time, let alone here and now. Stuff like the tank traps that were cut up to provide buttressing girders for the buildings, or the Vindicator sensor arrays that doubled as wall lights.

However, there is now a solution to such problems:

You can see some failures in here, (there's a crack in the side of several of the girders, but I think I've identified the issue, and should be able to avoid it happening on future print runs) but this was a test, so I was going to need at least one more run anyway.

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

it's been a while - you've been busy :D

i'm still learning 3D printing myself so not much to add  - by random chance i also did the Eldar seer and the Banshees at 160% :)

looking at the TTS stuff i'm struggling to get images to import into Meshworks - did you have difficulty with the program on first use?
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

MarcoSkoll

I've moved over to 3DF Zephyr for my photogrammetry stuff now, as that's the recommendation I got from Lee McStein (whose online name currently escapes me, but he's been in the INQ28 community for a fair while), who actually does photogrammetry professionally. It seems a lot faster, and able to get good results with fewer pictures.

Hopefully, I am going to manage to complete my guide on actually using said software sometime soon, in order to help other get involved in online games.

EDIT: Holy cheese biscuits, I hadn't actually tried the software again since I built my new PC. On a more powerful graphics card, it can process a model in a few minutes.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Anybanana, after all the (now hopefully solved) worries about actually having enough helpers for the Salute display, I've been punching up my terrain set - one of the buildings now mostly finished other than a bit of gap filling and some paint:

GW's =I= articles

TheNephew

Nice, that looks bladdy lavvly.
THe printed greebling is great.

Does this mean we get to have the classic obelisk objective?

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: TheNephew on November 08, 2021, 11:40:32 AMDoes this mean we get to have the classic obelisk objective?
Alas, not this time, but the printer has been considered as a potential way to finally make happen.

Also, I decided to use the 3D printer to give the horizontal tanks more interesting legs than the cut up sprue they had in the original articles:

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Well, in the hope to have it ready for the IGT, I've finally got all the navigation lights plumbed in for the Arvus:

As previously demonstrated, these have both a continuous and a blink mode.

Although wiring in here is a lot simpler than is going on in Leander's build, it's still got quite a lot of circuitry on board, and the the main delay in sorting it all out has been this little dohickey:

There's only space for 2 AAs in the gaps around the cockpit, so this is a voltage booster (and some capacitors for smoothing) that can take their voltage up to the point it will reliably drive illuminate the high power green and white LEDs (which need more voltage than red or yellow ones) as the batteries discharge.

So, in the end, it's worked out there are now three separate power lines plumbed around the Arvus - one for the headlights and interior lighting, one for the red navigation light, and one for the green and white nav lights.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Well, I did manage to get the Arvus finished in time, but apparently I failled to keep this thread up to date, including all the stuff about the custom designed 3D printed parts that have done a lot to elevate the result over what I could have done with plasticard and greenstuff alone:

It did get a basic paintjob in time, but I'm going to do a bit of tidying up of it before I photograph it for this thread.

In other news, apparently unsatisfied with already having a 54mm Rhino/Razorback, Sentinel and Arvus Lighter (and a Tauros scout buggy on the way), I may have ordered a thing...

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Well, a thing has arrived:

It's certainly more intricate than typical of a GW kit, so I'm expecting a lot of the smaller details are going to be left off in the end to avoid them getting broken off in play:

However, having the opportunity to inspect it up close, I'm now convinced this is a slightly repacked version of the original kit that was used, as the sprues are copyrighted as 1998, and there's details in here that weren't obvious from the online photos, such as the tarpaulin bundle on the side of the truck's cab (which I'd assumed to be from elsewhere). And, indeed, the tread pattern on the tyres in the kit matches the truck in the rulebook, even if the box art doesn't.

Given that this seems to be the real deal, a scale shot is probably somewhat redundant but, yes, it is well sized for Inquisitor:

I'm going to have to decide exactly what my angle of attack is here, and what order it gets built in and how it's cut up, but having IDed the correct model kit is definitely a major coup in this project.

(I also need to decide whether I'm going to try and track down as many of the original GW parts as feasible, or just go with plasticard and the 3D printer).

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

The truck has been held up somewhat while various parts arrive. I've gone to a bitz site for the Land Raider parts that serve as part of the bonnet (there's just a couple, so might as well get it right), but I'm now going to need to have those arrive to get measurements off them.

Still, a bit of progress has been made.

Carefully studying the original pictures, the cut line for the cab is visibly just behind a small square notch in the side (actually for aligning construction, but hey, it's given me a good reference). This also lines up with a panel gap in the roof, so it makes for a logical cut in general:

The cut was a bit of a nuisance, as it can't be correctly supported from the side where you can see where the cut should be, so it done by repeatedly scoring along the line, until such a point as the line became clear on the opposite side, making it easiy to do the last part with it flat on a cutting surface:

Annoyingly, some of the casting marks that would normally be hidden are going to interfere with where I need to install the back of the cab, but I removed them with a sharp chisel and a riffle file:

However, in the meantime, I've managed to find one of the OOP searchlights in my own bitz box and get good measurements off it to make a model for 3D printing.

The plan is to print this in clear resin in order to fit it up with LEDs. (Itself another challenge, as there's not *quite* enough space in the rear chassis to fit in an AA battery box, but an AAA box is just about clear of the right mark):

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor_Snarf

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on May 13, 2020, 01:25:37 AM
Alas, this is still photoscanning and offers nothing as far as genuinely new content. However, it seems to be the most promising avenue as far as gaming in the near-ish future, so I'm pushing ahead with that. Once I've got the process refined, I can consider working on new models to scan

Although I have not seen any 3d scanning stuff from you recently, I wanted to give you an FYI. I was waiting for the Release event for the Unreal Engine, and they hit on some new photo scanning technology you may want to look into:
https://www.capturingreality.com/introducing-realityscan

MarcoSkoll

That could be very interesting when it launches to a wider audience; it could make things a lot more accessible to people.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Well, I frequently say I only ever get stuff done because events make for a deadline.

I've been wittering on about this occasionally on the Discord, but so it's not all hidden only there, one trucK:

GW's =I= articles

maglash1017

So cool, it breathes "Inquisitor rulebook" to me. Very inspiring build.