Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Marco does something

Started by MarcoSkoll, November 18, 2009, 12:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

judge-minos

First of all I want to thank you for the inspiration. Since I saw your post I started sculpting a couple of models myself but I am really slow at it. As soon as I feel ready I will share them with the conclave together with few new models I am finally painting. Renatus could be reused as a different character and Kai is really looking good, especially the head, I am impressed, my first try was not half as good.

QuoteThe current plan is to strip the paint off Lyra and Kai, fix a couple of minor sculpting mistakes (which may include a re-sculpted head for Lyra)

I actually like her, the face seems good on the picture and I love the outfit, especially the hat.
The only thing a little off is the wrist holding the gun, it looks like she is having a problem holding it up, like it's too heavy.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: judge-minos on December 14, 2009, 08:00:58 PMSince I saw your post I started sculpting a couple of models myself but I am really slow at it.
Better slow than rushed really. There's no credit for "speed sculpting" - do it too fast, and you'll just end up with a lesser quality model.

I admit I did some parts of these guys too fast because of the deadline, and thus there are a few things I want to change before they're all tied up.

QuoteAs soon as I feel ready I will share them with the conclave together with few new models I am finally painting.
Sounds good. Looking forward to it.

QuoteRenatus could be reused as a different character...
That's much the plan for Renatus. He may get some adjustment, and I'm not sure quite who he'll end up as, but the model isn't going to be wasted completely.

QuoteKai is really looking good, especially the head, I am impressed, my first try was not half as good.
The heads aren't the easiest part by any means. In my case, I've spent a lot of time learning proportions of heads for my drawing, so I'm not attacking it from scratch.

QuoteI actually like her, the face seems good on the picture and I love the outfit, especially the hat.
The only thing a little off is the wrist holding the gun, it looks like she is having a problem holding it up, like it's too heavy.
I'm not entirely certain yet that I'll change her head, but I'm not convinced with the current attempt - female faces are much harder work than male ones, and it's not quite right.

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on December 14, 2009, 07:29:51 PMGiving your aircannon faux Armour piercing potato slugs?
Joking aside, you're along the basic track. One of the uses for it is as a coating on low drag projectiles.

The projectiles are however not potatoes - they're subsonic armour penetrators designed to punch through 1/2" RHA steel (equivalent to most APCs) at up to a quarter mile.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor Cade

QuoteJoking aside, you're along the basic track. One of the uses for it is as a coating on low drag projectiles.

The projectiles are however not potatoes - they're subsonic armour penetrators designed to punch through 1/2" RHA steel (equivalent to most APCs) at up to a quarter mile.

Are you saying that it does help penetrate armour? I though that was a myth, and they were only used to reduce barrel ware for the gun.
*Insert token witticism*

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on December 15, 2009, 09:39:37 AMAre you saying that it does help penetrate armour? I though that was a myth, and they were only used to reduce barrel wear for the gun.
For the most part, the PTFE coating on those projectiles is to reduce skin drag on the projectile so that it loses as little velocity as possible making it out to that range. Making a subsonic projectile effective out to that range does take keeping as much of the velocity as you started with as possible.

In more typical firearms, PTFE coating on the projectiles can improve penetration - but this is by reducing friction between barrel and bullet, and thus resulting in a higher muzzle velocity.

However, you are right, between two otherwise identical projectiles impacting armour at the same velocity, PTFE doesn't improve penetration - the coating is far too fragile and the energy lost to friction relatively insignificant anyway.
But under most conditions, the PTFE bullet will impact faster (higher muzzle velocity, reduced drag) and will better penetrate as a consequence of that.

So it's a bit of both really. From the same firearm, they will better penetrate (because they're going faster), but the myth is that the coating improves the efficiency of penetration, which it doesn't.

...Anyway, I'm rambling.

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

MarcoSkoll

I promise I'll be back to sculpting the last two models soon, but I'm a little tied up with paint stripping experiments right now.

Anyway, I shouldn't really be spending more money - but I've been very badly behaved today, and I put in an order on Heresy Miniatures.

I've bought more sculpting tools - while I'm managing with what I've currently got, what I've got is not a very wide range, and there are areas where I'm having to work harder because of the limits of what I have.
I may not end up using some of them that often, but I'll have them for when I want them.

Aside from that, I've taken a bit of a leap of faith, and instead of stocking up on my usual green-stuff, I bought a supply of ProCreate instead.
Although I've never actually used anything other than green-stuff thus far, I've heard enough good things about ProCreate that I thought it was worth at least trying it. My own thoughts will be given as and when I've used it.

~~~~~

Before I go, a ramble on what I'll be doing next. The plan is for a set of 6 models, to be complete before the Spring Conclave - and no, I don't intend on using all of them at once.

It's finally time to replace the models of Marco and his warband. While the models that currently represent them on the table are alright, I always intended for him and his entourage to be sculpted - and I've decided it's been otherwise for longer than it should, so I intend to deal with it.
I'll be starting preliminary sketching in the not too distant future. While Marco and Silva pretty much have fixed appearances (and only need pose decided, although I'll likely swipe the ones I was going to use before), I want to do some redesign and concept work on the other three.

The thing is, while two of them (Giovanna and Arden) already have models, they weren't models of the appearances I had in my head for them. Giovanna wasn't that badly represented (by a conversion of Barbaretta), but Arden drew a short straw and was made up out of parts I had left over (part Eldar ranger booster pack, part Slick Devlan, part Sgt. Stone).
Jax has never been modelled, but will need some design work. He's a stable mutant, and I want to avoid resorting to random asymmetry and/or tentacles as a result of that. However, on the flipside, I don't want him mistaken for Xenos. The sketchpad will have to decide.

Anyway, that makes up 5 of the 6 - and model #6 will be Maya Eshkeri (working name), the revision of Renatus Neuvler.

But that lot will require me to go and pick up some more brass wire - the last set of armatures cleaned out my collection.

GW's =I= articles

Molotov

Interesting concepts - and I look forward to seeing where you go with them. Do you have pictures of the current generation of models? I've not, thus far, seen Skoll and I'm interested to do so.
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

MarcoSkoll

I don't have any pictures of the current generation of models - I only ever intended them to be temporary stand-ins until I could replace each with a sculpt that fit the mental image I had of them.
I hadn't expected they would last this long (I was expecting to have the various sculpts done by mid last year), and quite frankly, I'll be glad to see the back of them.

They're not bad, as such... but I'm just not happy enough with them to want to share the results.

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Heresy order arrived this morning, bringing with it a couple of packs of procreate, a dozen wax carvers and a set of clay shapers.

I really want to start forging ahead into sculpting the next set of models to explore the possibilities of ProCreate (I intend to finish the current project with green-stuff, because I don't need to be trying to learn a new putty this late on) and my new tools, but I can't - firstly, I need to be finishing the current set of models, but more importantly, I still need more brass wire for the armatures and to get the concept designs sorted.

I guess I feel more like drawing than sculpting right now, so I suppose it's time for an appointment with the sketchpad then.
I may also start concepts for the various support staff that Skoll has around (Enginseeress, Navigator, Astropath). They're not combat characters, but that doesn't mean they'll never see the table.

GW's =I= articles

Hadriel Caine

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on January 06, 2010, 03:58:40 PM
I guess I feel more like drawing than sculpting right now, so I suppose it's time for an appointment with the sketchpad then.

Well then. I demand pictures. Demand will surely galvanise you into situation. :)

Be good to see an update matey.

Adam
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

MarcoSkoll

Ask, and you shall receive. One rough concept sketch of Marco:

This is a bit of a redesign, with a deliberate attempt to try to mix a little more 40k imagery into Marco, but without taking him a million miles from his original appearance - which was rather heavily inspired by Mal from Firefly.

I intend to play with this a little further - perhaps adding a trinket or two hanging by a long chain, which seems to be a common theme in 40k.

GW's =I= articles

catferret

I like mixing Procreate and Greenstuff together.  It's not too sticky, has some elasticity but holds an edge pretty well.  Cures very quickly, which is both an advantage and disadvantage (it's working time is about 30min from mixing the two types of putty together).

Hadriel Caine

Marco (the sketch) is looking good! inexplicable trinkets are what 40k is about. Gotta be excellent if he's based on Mal.
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Adam Cunis on January 07, 2010, 03:20:57 AMGotta be excellent if he's based on Mal.
Appearance at least (personality is somewhat different) - He's lost a certain amount of it in this revision because of the additional 40k elements, but in something of a trade-off, I've put in more direct lifts like the holster belt: Link

The eventual colour scheme will tie in as well - I suspect that Marco's body armour (half visible beneath all the belts and coat) might change from being green as it currently is to a dark red instead... but that depends on how much I decide to draw on Mal's appearance.

Anyway, I seem to have forgotten some of the details. Marco is to be one of the taller models at 6' 1" - 6' 2" equivalent, which completely coincidentally (I had honestly chosen the number before I knew) is also Nathan Fillion's height.

Now, I shall have to go to bed, or I'll descend into madness. Tomorrow... perhaps I'll add more 40k to Silva. But I don't want to go bonkers there - I like her the way she is, even if that way isn't entirely 40k.

GW's =I= articles

Adlan

It's Mal... with a sword!

Does he know which end to hold  ;D