Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Mech-Annika

Started by greenstuff_gav, November 19, 2009, 01:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenstuff_gav

so, this has taken up far too much of my time already, most of it lost trying to sculpt a face.
Inspired by This Image i found on /tg/, i've not found the original source yet :( But it's a great piece of artwork and a potential fun third character for my GT explorator team :)

so, here's Annika as she stands now. The hair is drying, going to have a couplea bows on the ties, some tidying up to do and wires on the backpack.
i've also added the better three attempts at sculpting a head for her. i've gone thru almost a whole pack of greenstuff and every tutorial i can find all to no avail, hence the big goggles; i've lost my patience and this is the final face just so i can get the sculpt off've my desk (where it's been holding up other projects and commission work)

Following his encounter with the Inquisition on Garion in the Carthax system, Magos Rowne realised many shortcomings in his Servitor life support system.
The fear of termination forefront in his mind, Rowne pursued a new method of mobility; a clone of his own body.
While it is a relatively straightforward technique to create clone flesh, Rowne's own small unstable DNA samples and issues with the growth acceleration equipment left subject after subject in the incinerator.
With the aid of several genesists and support from Tech Adepts Stein and Liwet, a stable clone was eventually created.
An unforeseen consequence of the modifications was the loss of the Y chromosome and a corruption of the genetic memory implants.
While Magos Rowne prepared to terminate this faulty clone, Adept Liwet intervened; when something resembling new life is created without explanation, is it not the will of the Ommissiah?

And so Rowne kept clone 4N1-K4 or Annika, as Adept Liwet teased, raising the child with the aid of Rownes retinue of servitors and indentured serfs.
To young Annika, the first few years of her accelerated life have been spent playing games; Rownes tests of her genetic knowledge, Liwets blood tests and time spent with the care servitors, never too tired to play with her even though they do it in a stilted, unfeeling manner.

She has begun traveling with Rowne, displaying an innate knowledge of machinery and a knack of "getting the Spirits to play" often under the watchful gaze of Adept Liwet or more often accompanied by one of Rownes many MIU linked Servo-Skulls.
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Ynek

I think that there needs to be more child characters in the 41st millenium.
I've done a couple of teenagers/adolescants, but now you've got me wanting to make some kiddie-winkles.

Anyway, the sculpting on this character in general is pretty good, but I can see what you mean about having trouble sculpting faces. Over the last couple of years, I've sort of developed my own method which I find easier than any of the convoluted techniques described in various tutorials. I suppose everyone has their own preferred method, and finding a method that works for you is something that only time and patience can deliver.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Kaled

That model is excellent Gav - very cool.  And I think the goggles work really well for the character - without them you risked her looking too cute.  The background is good too...
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Tullio

Hah, 40K-cute! Very cool, I'm liking the sleeves too long for her

Tullio

TheNephew

I like.

Be careful with the bow on the front though - I don't know how you're planning on painting it, but that's a serious risk on the 'too cute' front.
I do think you've gone with the right face though - the goggles and collar all fit nicely with the AdMech business, and the hair keeps the little girl theme well.
How are the boots going to look when they're detailed up?
I'd recommend going along the rivets and straps style, but without making them comically oversized - again, the risk of cuteness is considerable.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: TheNephew on November 19, 2009, 01:27:12 PMBe careful with the bow on the front though - I don't know how you're planning on painting it, but that's a serious risk on the 'too cute' front.
I dunno, I can kind of imagine a Magos doing something like that because of a misunderstanding of what you actually do to bring up small girls.

I hardly imagine their files on "raising young children" are complete or without stereotyped errors.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on November 19, 2009, 01:40:36 PM

I dunno, I can kind of imagine a Magos doing something like that because of a misunderstanding of what you actually do to bring up small girls.

I hardly imagine their files on "raising young children" are complete or without stereotyped errors.

seeing how Magos Rowne is a stereotypical Mechanicus and Adept Liwet was bought up by a squad of guard veterans, neither have had much interaction with little girls and are a little confused by her :)

for the shoes, i'm tempted with them being like daps from school with either a big buckle or a mechanicus symbol on 'em

colour wise, i'll probably be following the illustration; lots of reds and a soft pink for the hair :)
for the goggles, they'll be orange as i've always liked Alucards'  :-[

Build Your Imagination

Myriad

This is indeed a very cute model.

I love how different it is to the norm - the thought of the general reaction to the appearance of a small child makes me smile.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Swarbie

It's very cute.
And I like the idea of Magos Rowne bringing her up in a "twisted fairytale" way, with a servitor-nanny and cute AdMech clothes.

But I would have done a menacing child.

Hmmmm, a young Genestealer Cult magus, perhaps...
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Myriad on November 19, 2009, 11:19:48 PMI love how different it is to the norm - the thought of the general reaction to the appearance of a small child makes me smile.
It could bring up interesting on-table situations.

... if presented with a small girl, how would a character react? Are they a valid target, or does the character have morals that would stop them hurting a young child?
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

takes 2 actions and WP test to target (shoot / charge) her for the first time*. If passed, character is required to feel bad about it for a while afterwards (1 day per 3 injury points?)

*any evil / heartless character (at player / GM's discretion) may ignore this rule

new Skill - Burst Into Tears.
if has been injured / attacked, Annika can sacrifice all her actions this turn to burst into tears. Awareness tests to her location get +30%, but anyone who has taken and passed the test to target her must retake this test

;D

Build Your Imagination

Adlan

Any Inquisitor who wasn't prepared to shoot a little girl shouldn't really be an Inquisitor.

Reminds of roleplaying one time, in a decidedly evil and dark shadowrun campaign. The DM was gonna use a little girl as the big bad, and introduced her to us by us stumbling upon people attacking her, we were supposed to rescue her. Unfortunately we killed her to prevent her giving evidence about us tresspassing into the location we found her in.

greenstuff_gav

aaaaand paint!

several thing i'd have liked to have done differently, but i'm at the end of my patience with her now  ???

Build Your Imagination

theemperorswill

wicked gav. {remember chuckie?}
the emperors will be done

Myriad

I hadn't realised it was the head in a jar raised her.

Love it, and the models as a pair.  How confusing for your average gun slinging mercenary. :)
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!