Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Grenade launchers

Started by Myriad, November 19, 2009, 01:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myriad

So I was just starting work on a carapce armoured mercenary and wondering what to arm him with, and decided there aren't enough grenade launchers.  Then I realised there simply aren't any 54mm grenade launchers, so I thought I'd ask the conclave - has anyone built a grenade launcher and/or have any suggestions as to how to go about it?

While we're on the subject, a question that keeps bugging me - just what is a hrud fusil supposed to look like?
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Myriad on November 19, 2009, 01:25:58 PMHas anyone built a grenade launcher and/or have any suggestions as to how to go about it?
Are we talking model grenade launchers, or real-life ones? :P

Assuming model, not yet, although I'd like to build a Inquisitor scale version of this...

... which although it isn't actually a grenade launcher, is (depending on how it's set up) either an evil paintball gun or a less-lethal system - and I get the fun part of assisting in its development.
Either way, it has the same basic shape of a grenade launcher, so would be built similarly.

I'd suggest brass tubing as a good place to start. You could quite easily do an M79 miniature with some appropriately sized tubing and some green stuff. Indeed, you could do most grenade launchers in such a matter - grenade launchers are generally just made up of a lot of tubing shapes.

Alternatively, as a quick and dirty solution, a 28mm grenade launcher wouldn't be unbelievably small on a 54mm figure with a few quick conversions.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor Cade

The imperial guard cadian grenade launcher has been used before as an under barreled grenade launcher (both wit and without the drum) quite successfully. For a stand alone launcher I'd suggest taking two barrels from that kit and making 1 long one, then use that to replace the barrel of a =][= scale shotgun. Add the drum magazine to taste. This is only a thought construction though, I've never actually seen or attempted it before, but it is an idea for the mixing pot.
*Insert token witticism*

Robert_the_damned

I've made an M32 'revolver' type grenade launcher before but I don't have pictures and I think my brother has that model now. Basicly it was the revolving part of a space marine drednaught assualt cannon with the front of an imperial guard grenade launcher and the back part of an inquisitor shotgun (think it was the gun sprue one).

sergeis64

Molniya has a grenade launcher as a pack with female guardian. www.molniyafigs.com

Adlan

More a rocket launcher than a grenade. Well, an it's an RPG anyways to my mind.

MarcoSkoll

Also, I can't see many people going around buying $40 models for the sake of one piece. No offence, but while it's a very nice model, I'd need plans for much more of it than just a single part before buying.

Actually, on that vague note, the fact that GW decided to stop doing individual parts is part of the reason I decided to take up sculpting.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Hadriel Caine

waay too tired but I think the old ogryn ripper guns look sweet as grenade launchers.
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Inquisitor Cade

Oh good call. They would make good belt fed one, albeit quite big and bulky, and it might be triky to remove the ogryn arm (unless massive biceps are in keeping with the rest of the model).
*Insert token witticism*

TheNephew

I think there've been a couple of Space Dwarf(!) conversions based off those Ogryns, so I suspect the arms are a little too short for use o humans.
There might be a lot of very careful sawing involved in that.
Or a guy with seriously beefy fists.

Kaled

Quote from: TheNephew on November 22, 2009, 10:32:36 AM
I think there've been a couple of Space Dwarf(!) conversions based off those Ogryns, so I suspect the arms are a little too short for use o humans.
When I did my Squat, I ended up sculpting new arms because I felt that the Ogryn ones were both a touch too long and muscley.  I've just had a look in my bits box and compared an ogryn arm to one of the IG ones and about the same length; the ogryn's hands are somewhat larger though.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

phil1103

Quote from: Kaled on November 24, 2009, 05:56:23 PM
Quote from: TheNephew on November 22, 2009, 10:32:36 AM
When I did my Squat, I ended up sculpting new arms because I felt that the Ogryn ones were both a touch too long and muscley.  I've just had a look in my bits box and compared an ogryn arm to one of the IG ones and about the same length; the ogryn's hands are somewhat larger though.

Sorry to neromance, but i've just finished a conversion of this new Ogryn model bottom left-

He comes in two peices, and straghting out the belly and lifting his foot to a barrel makes him the same height as a regular person in Inq, perhaps a little short. Additional facial hair in greenstuff, and you have a decent muscle character.

i'll take a picture later and upload it to demonstrate.

Phil1103

Ynek

I've always thought that the barrels of the space marine dreadnought assault cannon, upside down would make an excellent grenade launcher.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."