Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The Flickering Lights in the Sky (DH Tau'va!)

Started by Xisor, November 07, 2009, 01:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xisor

Good news, Conclave. I've been busy over on a 'dregs of the BLP forums' thing, we've been doing a bit of DH RPing. Not quite as story-telling-free-form as The Conclave's fine RPs, but I've rather enjoyed the slightly more structured approach to story telling.

Anyhow, it turned out that the community over there (only roughly a dozen or so regular member) were quite into the idea of a DH-esque RP set within the Tau Empire. I've long been a proponent of Inquisitor-style games in the Tau Empire. Some of you will be fairly well aware of my unhealthy obsession with the Demiurg; don't worry, they're not the focus! (Though I have a half-hankering to write a DH or RT adventure which deals with 'introducing' the concept of the Demiurg as a background antagonist)

Point being: I ruled up a couple of bits for the Tau Empire. Things like the Galg, Nicassar Drones and Vespid are only included as 'brainstorm' on my part; the core of this is the five tau castes, kroot, human auxiliaries and demiurg automaton. It's a wee bit complex, but the more structured feel of the tau empire lends itself well to 'self restricting stories'; they can't get out of hand as easily as normal RPs and the enthusiasm of the players for an exotic setting seems to be working well.

Regardless, here's the link I put up on Warseer. No discussion really, but it's handy for hosting. Below are also the main 'rules' for my modification. It's very sketchy at present, but I'm figuring it out as I go.
(Mainly thanks to Warseer; I'll use proper hosting when Savefile is back online!)
Discussion Thread on Warseer
Basic Rules
Basic Tables

Furthermore, here's a wee link to the RP as it stands.
1.0 Arrival on Korso

Any commentary, criticism, derision or laughter is quite welcome. Toodles, my lovely Conclave!

Simeon Blackstar

It looks fantastic to me.  I'd ask to join if a) I had the time, b) the posting didn't seem to be at 11pm-1am and c) I knew anything about Dark Heresy.  I even got as far as rolling up an automaton, who would have ended up not particularly useful in combat encounters, but rather tough (27) and very intelligent (36).  I imagined him as being rather like the drones from Ian M Banks' books.

Looks like you've got a varied group there, who should have a lot of fun (provided Kroot doesn't get too antagonistic  ;)).

Xisor

Thanks, Simeon! :) Heh, it's really a trial run, but I'm happy to see it going along nicely. The aun, the kroot and the automaton are the more playful characters at the moment, but the two fio and two shas are following along too! I have a little faith that one day I'll bring the more complete version of it to the Conclave!

For dealing with the Kroot, I found after he spat acid idly it was simple enough to harrass him with cleaning drones until he behaved. Now he has cleaning drones discreetly following him everywhere, even down to the planet in the group's luggage!

Zephon

It looks really fun, subterfuge and subversion in the Tau Empire must be radically different to normal Dark Heresy - the only bit that would worry me would be the use of DH Careers, since they are rather specific to the Imperium. Have you any plans to work out a Fire, Air, etc career paths from the ground up?

Xisor

I considered a few but, generally, it's just tweaking the DH ones. Obviously a Fio Adept shouldn't be taking FL(Imperial Creed) and so forth. It's just a case of tweaking!

Curiously, with minimal tweaking, I find the Sororitas (Famulous[?]) Career almost spot on for an Aun. My misgiving for the careers from the 'ground up' is that I don't have a clear(er) vision for differentiating or delineating them from what's gone before. As we run through the campaign I'm hopeful that things like 'Trial by Fire' will become clear and comfortable rather than the clunky 'brainfarts' which I've got just now!  :-\

Still, so far so good!