Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

The regiments of Karis Cephalon

Started by damnitsham, November 23, 2009, 12:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

damnitsham

Hey all!

I've been hunting down some material regarding the local Imperial Guard contingents on Karis Cephalon, and figured who better to ask than the Inquisition itself!

The only material I know of regarding the planet and (potentially) its defences is the book Inquisitor Conspiracies 2, although finding a copy is proving nigh on impossible!

So I was wondering, does anyone know if there is a local regiment of guard on Karis Cephalon? If so, what do they wear? Are their any peculiar customs/traditions unique to this regiment?

Thankyou heaps in advance :D

MarcoSkoll

1) This topic is was in the wrong place.

2) Why bother using a GW official planet? Write your own, and then you haven't got to worry about keeping to "official information"...
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Koval

What Marco said.

If you want an unofficial planet, I'll willingly provide you with anywhere between one and five on demand. Using a GW-named planet as anything more than a passing reference is asking for trouble if what you're doing will affect established canon.

Shard

Huh, so I can't have a game of Inquisitor on Armageddon or Necromunda now? That's what I'm assuming here, you want some background for gaming, as opposed to RPing, in which case I'd echo the above comments.

That aside, I know absolutely nothing about the place apart from what White Dwarf told me all those years ago.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Shard on November 23, 2009, 03:33:16 PMHuh, so I can't have a game of Inquisitor on Armageddon or Necromunda now?
Never said that. I'm asking why you'd want to.

When you can have a near functionally identical planet where you haven't got to abide by canon, you can write any of the details yourself and where you can do anything up to/including destroying the globe, I don't see why you'd want to tie yourself to a planet solely because it's a name that pops up regularly in GW work.

There are a million worlds out there. Why then should such a significant proportion of stuff end up happening on a mere handful of planets?

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

Personally I see nothing wrong with setting games of Karis Cephalon, or some other canonical planet - Death of an Angel (and the entire canon in fact) were written to provide a setting for our games.  So what if some events in his games conflict with later canon?  EYHBTIAL after all, and it's not as if the GW canon has ever been (or intended to be) internally consistent anyway.

Quote from: damnitsham on November 23, 2009, 12:40:39 AM
So I was wondering, does anyone know if there is a local regiment of guard on Karis Cephalon? If so, what do they wear? Are their any peculiar customs/traditions unique to this regiment?
The Special Security Agency (SSA) is funded by the Governor and other trading families to enforce the laws of Karis Cephalon.  They also form the Planetary Defence Force, abile to muster hundreds of thousands of militia, organised into battalions aThe SSA has many divisions, from armed and armoured enforcement agents, undercover operatives and spies.  cross the world.  They have raised regiments for the Imperial Guard from this force, although the Departmento Munitorium is reluctant to make such requests of a world so heavily controlled by the Ecclesiarchy.

There isn't a whole lot more information in Death of an Angel, but I'd go with something along the lines of a Cadian-type trooper with a few more religious symbols and icons to represent the Ecclesiarchy's influence on their homeworld.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Kaled on November 23, 2009, 10:11:31 PMThe entire canon in fact was written to provide a setting for our games.
I see it as more of inspiration.

It's a whole galactic sandpit, why play in the small corner GW has shaped into sandcastles?

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on November 23, 2009, 10:48:37 PM
It's a whole galactic sandpit, why play in the small corner GW has shaped into sandcastles?
Why not?  That's what the sandcastles were built for.  Death of an Angel was written to provide a detailed setting in which people could play their games.  You may not want to use it, but I don't think you (or anyone else) should be telling other people not to if that's what they want to do.

MarcoSkoll

Again, I find these things better used as inspiration.

I prefer to build my own sandcastles, not risk knocking over other people's. You can't blame me for expressing an opinion.

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

That's fine, but some people like to play with (and knock over) GW's sandcastles - and if that's what they want to do, then why not?  It's not for us to say which bits of the sandpit other people aren't allowed to play in - we should be encouraging new players, not jumping on them and telling them that what they're doing is 'wrong'.

N01H3r3

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on November 23, 2009, 10:48:37 PM
Quote from: Kaled on November 23, 2009, 10:11:31 PMThe entire canon in fact was written to provide a setting for our games.
I see it as more of inspiration.
And I see it as varying from situation to situation. Worlds commonly referred to in wargame background aren't of huge interest to me except as examples, yet I'm quite willing and keen to explore the Calixis Sector and Koronus Expanse regions described in Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader, because they've been designed to be a little section of that sandpit to explore in, a compromise between complete freedom of choice and the restrictions of canon (because, in both cases, deliberate mysteries have been written into the regions and only select parts have been described in more than the most cursory detail).

Often, the context of a world or sector's creation is important in this regard - some parts of the setting are built as sandboxes within the greater sandbox that is the 40k universe, while others are very much the domain of the games designers.
Contributing Writer for many Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay books, including Black Crusade

Professional Games Designer.

damnitsham

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on November 23, 2009, 01:19:14 PM
1) This topic is was in the wrong place.

2) Why bother using a GW official planet? Write your own, and then you haven't got to worry about keeping to "official information"...

Cheers for migrating it for me.

As for wanting to use this planet, it is for a themed witch hunters force for 40K. I plan on sculpting 28mm scale Tyrus, Sgt Stone, Malicant, Barbaretta and a cyber mastiff as my =I= lord and retinue, and field them with inquisitorial stormtroopers and inducted IG.

Seeing as Barbaretta is described as being part of Tyrus' warband during his mission on Karis Cephalon, I thought it would be nice to model the guardsmen according to any existing canon for this planet.

I'm a bit of a fan of building armies around an existing theme- I've just finished a tournament force for the Chosen of Abaddon, and have an eldar army in the works themed around Arhra the fallen phoenix. I guess I just have a love for the stories and history of the 41st millennium.

Don't fear for my lack of creativity though- I have created two of my own worlds for dark heresy campaigns (a hive world that housed a genestealer cult, and a backwater planet with a real 'space western' feel to it), and am working on a tau army of human allies known as the Eastern Fringers (corporate [water caste style] driven military with Armored Core inspired crisis suits).

Oh my I went off on a banter there didn't I? :P

Back on topic, thankyou very much Kaled for finding that information for me! I assume there are no illustrations of their uniform then? I guess that leaves me with plenty of freedom for modeling. I shall certainly take up your advice on religious icons and the like; what good is a witch hunters force without tabards and relics and FIRE!

Kaled

Quote from: damnitsham on November 24, 2009, 12:23:19 AM
I plan on sculpting 28mm scale Tyrus, Sgt Stone, Malicant, Barbaretta and a cyber mastiff as my =I= lord and retinue
If/when you do these you should come back and post pics - I'd love to see how they turn out.

QuoteBack on topic, thankyou very much Kaled for finding that information for me! I assume there are no illustrations of their uniform then? I guess that leaves me with plenty of freedom for modeling. I shall certainly take up your advice on religious icons and the like; what good is a witch hunters force without tabards and relics and FIRE!
No real pictures.  There's a head and shoulders shot of the head of the SSA, but not enough to be able to see any details of his uniform.  Another thing I thought of is that as the SSA functions as both local enforcers and PDF you could throw in some squads/characters/whatever based on converted Necromunda enforcers.

damnitsham

Quote from: Kaled on November 24, 2009, 08:23:41 AM
If/when you do these you should come back and post pics - I'd love to see how they turn out.

Yeah I can do that no worries. Might be a while as I'm frantic organizing a tournament for the next few weeks. Would you be interested in seeing my other work in the meantime?

I'm thinking I might model the inquisitorial storm troopers as arbites using the necromunda models. Not to mention they already have a 28mm cyber mastiff and suppression shield in that set (I'd be crazy not to use them!). That way if I expand the army to include IG storm troopers they won't get mixed up. They also suggest this in the storm troopers entry in the WH dex, allowing you to swap out for shotguns and counts as arbites.

As for the regular grunts I'm thinking of using cadians with different heads. These look the goods at this stage, as they have a bit of an arbites riot helmet sort of feel to them:

Heroka Vendile

I'd say they look most like the enclosed INQ Enforcer helmet, i can only find this side view at the moment, its the head on the left
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy