Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Online game of Inquisitor

Started by Inquisitor Cade, November 24, 2009, 02:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inquisitor Cade

Hi. It is my intension to run a game of Inquisitor using the IC forum. This will vary in that players will not write in it but will declare their actions using PMs to me. I'll them workout the outcome and update the IC thread.

This will run basically as a normal, tabletop game of =][=, the main difference being the lack of dice. Instead of rolling to determine what happens I will decide arbitrarily based on what is likely, what is dramatic and what is cool. This is mainly because the dice rolling was the domain of the player, the GM just decides what the modifiers are, which is effectively what I'm doing, if with more certainty. It also allows the characters stats to be qualitative, avoiding and issues arising from different power levels etc.

I'll be using crude MS paint maps to supplement my descriptions of the area.
Play rate will be one characters turn per day. The speed and therefore order of the turns will be known in advance so players who don't go on every day will know which days they are needed.

As this is an experimental run the scenario will be kept simple. The/both the/all of the warband(s) enter the catacombs of a disused temple to kill/capture/recruit the cult that operates from down there.  I'll work out a more detailed and interesting brief once any interest is shown and the warbands are worked out.

There are three way I can see of doing this.

Everyone could create their own character and give a description of their appearance, kit and ability including a qualitative measure of each stat (e.g. Ws: very good, an expert with an axe, Bs: passable, S moderate to good, keeps fit ..... etc.)

I could set out the warbands using models I have and they could be claimed by players. This would allow me to set up a board and embellish the text with pictures of what's going on. This time I'd give the players the motivations and abilities of their characters.

Finally I could use my models but they could be temporarily prescribed new characters for the game. This way obviously would also allow photo's

Ideally I'd want a player per character, with up to 6 players.

As Lord Inquisitor Ruth or otherwise and henchman

Inquisitor Rangavack or for a player created character this one

(has been repainted a bit since photo) and either way supported by

Let me know if there is any interest, suggestions or other feedback.
*Insert token witticism*

Dvil

Sure, I'd be interested in this. I'm not sure about the method of character choice. Obviously making your own character is more personal and thus conducive to roleplay, but you're right in that the MS maps that would necessitate would be crude.
On MSN? Add me! Let's face it; if you don't I'll just add you.

Inquisitor Cade

My new thought is that players bring the characters and I use the model that fits them best, maybe altering the kit a bit based on the models. It would be nice to have photos
*Insert token witticism*

Kaled

Why not post pics of all the models you have and then let players make up characters around them?  If there's some resemblance, players could even use them to represent their own characters but wearing different clothes.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Inquisitor Cade

That sounds like a plan, I'll get my retrospective updated and post a link to it here.
*Insert token witticism*

Dvil

Inquisitor Cade

I'm tempted to have a go with a single player and GM game but I don't think it would be that good. I'm going to hold out for a second player besides yourself. Maybe when my brother finishes his exams I'll be able to pressure him into playing.

So unless someone else turns up who'll give it a go it'll probably be on hold for a couple of weeks.

I'll tell you what, If my brother plays then he'll surely play Inquisitor Ranovack. Why don't you hit me with a basic character concept for a leader and a henchman, and we can sort that out while we are waiting.
*Insert token witticism*

Dvil

Is this character concept from the list of models above, or just freedom to choose? And I assume the stats are qualitative as mentioned above, so it really is conceptual and I don't need to stat them up or anything?

Inquisitor Cade

Don't worry about the model for now, come up with a concept you like and then we'll see about finding the best model I have for him, and we may have to tweak his kit a bit. Please no aliens or space marines, my models are all human. Most of them are male too so a male concept would be infinitely preferable.

Yeah just qualatative stats, what are his particular strengths and weaknesses and so forth, His motivation is the more important matter.
*Insert token witticism*

Dvil

Here's some quick things off the top of my head.

Leader:
Inquisitor Bastian Dvil Omoyes, as he was mid-way through his career
Even at the young age of under 70 years, Bastian Omoyes was looked down upon by his colleagues for his radical zealotry. Viewed by most as slightly unhinged, Omoyes prefers to smite the heretic face-to-face with his two-handed hammer Glaudrung, rather than from afar. Omoyes' appearance belies his relative youth, being as it is scarred by one of his earlier mistakes. As a child of merely 30 or so years, during the scouring of an infested hive whose location is now classified, Omoyes allowed his pride to get the better of him, allowing the entrance of a Daemon of the ruinous powers. Though his face was scarred horribly by the ordeal, Omoyes was able to use his prodigious psychic powers to exorcise himself, though the damage to his mind is still the subject of copious amounts of rumour.

I can't think of a henchman right now, so I'll probably update my post later, or make a new post so you know clearly that I've made him.

Inquisitor Cade

Good news, I've talked to  a couple of friends and they might be up for this, I should have firm answers from them shortly.

So he's a frothing puritan sort, radically puritan even (tortology ftw).
Quoteallowing the entrance of a Daemon
how do you mean allowing and how was it a matter of pride?

Can you give me his special abilities, as they will help me get his fighting style etc. and also what psychic powers he has.

If his main focus is his psychic powers then his skill with the hammer, while impressive, won't be masterful, right?

I don't have any hammer weilding models but I have a WIP who will be one. I'll get him finished in the next couple of days. Also, pick a firearm, any firearm*.

*you may not have any firearm, but stubbers, autopistols, laspistols, lasguns autoguns and shotguns are all an the table. None is also a valid choice.
*Insert token witticism*

MarcoSkoll

If my commentary is permitted...

Quote from: Dvil on November 30, 2009, 05:58:06 PMVerveuk was able to use his prodigious psychic powers to exorcise himself
... I still find this an overused and questionable concept, the idea of a "reversed" possession.
Exorcising a partial or botched possession with long study and hard work, maybe. Averting a possession through psychic skill, maybe. Reversal of a full possession, particularly of oneself... I just don't like the idea, it's against too much canon.

Also, on that note, why "Bastian Verveuk"? Sure you can use a name which hasn't been used in canon? (Although, I admit that across a million worlds, multiple people with the same name will no doubt exist.)

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on November 30, 2009, 03:26:45 PMMost of them are male too so a male concept would be infinitely preferable.
You're cheating yourself. Equal opportunity in the 41st Millennium!

Of course, individual Imperial citizens may be sexist, but the Imperium itself is little fussed about gender, as long as you worship and serve the God-Emperor.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor Cade

I intend to get a barbaretta model next, but most of the models that exist are male.

*Insert token witticism*

Dvil

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on November 30, 2009, 06:50:38 PM
Quote from: Dvil on November 30, 2009, 05:58:06 PMVerveuk was able to use his prodigious psychic powers to exorcise himself
... I still find this an overused and questionable concept, the idea of a "reversed" possession.
Exorcising a partial or botched possession with long study and hard work, maybe. Averting a possession through psychic skill, maybe. Reversal of a full possession, particularly of oneself... I just don't like the idea, it's against too much canon.
I agree with the overused comment, but I hadn't expected complaints that it's against canon, as the idea for it was lifted from a passage near the front of the Daemonhunters 40k codex. If you can think of another way to result in facial disfiguration, and irrationality, I'm all ears. If it helps, the facial disfiguration in question is somewhat reminiscent of the Star Wars Emperor (which actually came about as a result of too much shading on the model's face, but that's largely irrelevant). A bound weapon could also work, as in 40k he uses a Daemonhammer, so a bound daemon (with daemonbane) could fit with that quite easily, and maybe it's speaking to him psychically, to encourage him to be a frothing lunatic combat monster? I'm just throwing ideas out there, always happy for feedback.

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on November 30, 2009, 06:50:38 PM
Also, on that note, why "Bastian Verveuk"? Sure you can use a name which hasn't been used in canon? (Although, I admit that across a million worlds, multiple people with the same name will no doubt exist.)
Yeah, that one's just a simple error on my part. I'd intended to use my 40k Inquisitor lord's name (and it's the same fluff as well) of Bastian Dvil Omoyes, but I haven't had to use the name in a while, so in my effort to remember it I accidentally plagiarised Abnett. I'll go back and edit the post.

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on November 30, 2009, 06:43:14 PM
Good news, I've talked to  a couple of friends and they might be up for this, I should have firm answers from them shortly.

So he's a frothing puritan sort, radically puritan even (tortology ftw).
Quoteallowing the entrance of a Daemon
how do you mean allowing and how was it a matter of pride?
Well, he keeps it to himself, so that's likely to be the most anyone in-universe would get to the truth. If I had to give the point of view of an omnipresent, omniscient narrator, however, It'd probably be that he defeated (or was allowed to defeat) a daemon in martial combat, felt intense pride at this achievement (maybe even arrogance), and being so inexperienced did not realise quite how easily Daemons could enter an unprotected mind.

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on November 30, 2009, 06:43:14 PM
Can you give me his special abilities, as they will help me get his fighting style etc. and also what psychic powers he has.

If his main focus is his psychic powers then his skill with the hammer, while impressive, won't be masterful, right?

I don't have any hammer weilding models but I have a WIP who will be one. I'll get him finished in the next couple of days. Also, pick a firearm, any firearm*.

*you may not have any firearm, but stubbers, autopistols, laspistols, lasguns autoguns and shotguns are all an the table. None is also a valid choice.

His psychic powers are mainly used to increase his ability to cave in the skulls of the heretic, so in-game it would be things like Biomancy powers such as Warp Strength, Enfeeble, Regenerate, etc. In short, a focus on buffs/debuffs rather than direct damage.

Whether his main focus is his mind or his hammer will depend on how the above issue regarding the self-exorcism works out. If it ends up still being a self-exorcism, then probably a main focus on psychicness (and thus at least one direct damage power to aid killyness), but if a daemon weapon seems more reasonable to our more venerable members then hammer proficiency would make more sense. Obviously if another option is suggested and agreed, then we'll se from there.

Inquisitor Cade

a 'daemonhammer' as used by the ordo malleus is as far removed from a daemonweapon as it is possible to be. They are super pure weapons that destroy daemons with their holy power, the coincidence in the name is rather unfortunate. Which does he have? Is he a puritan or a radical?

I too would advise rewriting the possesion thing out. Do I take it he is ordo malleus?

I'm working on the model but need to know your choise in gun if I'm to finish it sooner rather than later.
*Insert token witticism*