Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Online game of Inquisitor

Started by Inquisitor Cade, November 24, 2009, 02:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: madwargamer on December 06, 2009, 07:19:50 PM...but should we use a certain amount of points from the ready reckoner?
NO! The Ready Reckoner is a horribly, horribly broken system... and even if it weren't, the stats are qualitative.

A WS "stat" here is not a number, it's more like "Renowned Swordsman" or "Only just passable".
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

madwargamer

so you suggest that we just jump right in and make a character profile?

Inquisitor Cade

Go for it. We've been holding off waiting for there to be at least two players ready, and so far we have two who are getting there, so we are certainly up for anyone else who wants to have a go. A third will make it more interesting. Come up with a character concept and let us have it. You can have a henchman too if you like.

Ideally try to have the character compatable with one of these http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=159.0 or these http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=390.0 models.

Give me the character background and motivation and how you see his abilities and kit. Then we'll choose a model for him and will maybe edit him a bit (e.g. we downgraded Omoyes' daemon hammer to a force hammer partly to better fit the model, partly for power reason, and partly for background reasons).

Don't worry much about balance, that's one of my jobs. If you come back with a character with strengths: everything and weaknesses nothing, he will likely lose in combat against a character with strengths: swordsmanship only.
*Insert token witticism*

madwargamer

Inquisitor Rastgnac:
An inquisitor who works only in mystery and the shadows to deliver the justice of the emperor. Almost no one knows who he is: especially those who work with him. All his allies and enemies ever usually know is that he is someone with an inquisitorial mandate. The person, besides himself who knew him best is now dead, an inquisitor for whom he worked as an acolyte. He was then known to be an extremely hard line inquisitor, always scrutinizing his allies for slightest sign of weakness or faltering. During the Corval incident, whose records were since destroyed and scribes executed: he personally killed all who followed him for fear that they should be tainted after one of them left his presence without his knowledge. He is a dedicated and relentless tracker: one who will use any means to get his mark and a person for whom the score is never settled.

In the recent years he has had a sickness that afflicted him with a certain degeneration of the internal tissue cohesion: his strength remains but he is nowhere near as resistant as he was before. He accepts this as a man who accepts a punishment because they feel that they deserve it. What haunts him to cause such action? Whatever it may be; he only allows himself enough treatment to continue his duty as inquisitor and refuses complex operations.
NOTE: he has secretly also passed judgment on horusian and istvannian inquisitors or psykers and, if unable to confront them, will never collaborate with them for fear of being tainted.
Based on your mysterious inquisitor model.
WS 80 BS 73 S 78 T 53 (sick) I 85 WP 95 SG 80 NV 90 LD 70

Skills:
-The twisted and bitter chaos marine skill: anyone who appears to double-cross him will be taken out without question or hesitation.(the traitorous model is immediately removed from play)
-Due to his manner of operations: he does NOT have the leader skill as all inquisitors.
-Force of will: cowards deserve their death.
-True grit: only in victory lies salvation.
-Word of the Emperor (he often uses this when killing foes he deems less guilty as opposed to the litanies of hate).
-Litanies of hate: After taking out of action an enemy model Inquisitor Rastagnac may elect to be under the effect of frenzy and act at +1 speed.

Equipment:
-Excutiator: A small handheld device used for “extracting” information. DM rule on what conditions apply to its use.
-Plasma pistol.
-Throwing knife
-Bastard sword (edited to vibro-sword)

Armor: heavy robes (armor2) on all locations except head
A few bionic on the head give it an armor of 1 and also give a re-breather.
(edited: refractor field)
Combat stimms:
Rastagnac secretly knows that he will die on a mission but he would not see himself fail: even in death. He therefore keeps an injector with 5 doses of barrage for the final moment in service to the emperor.

Other equipment:
Feeling that only the holy serve him best: he either works alone or with very few. He thus has an auspex and a gun skull with a las pistol.

Cultist Marleck:
   Marleck may be working for his first time with inquisitor Rastagnac but his zeal is without question. He fought with the arbites(edit: local enforcers) for a moment before realizing he could purge more as a vigilante. It is at that moment that the inquisitor arrived on world and he “volunteered” to join his service though he does not know who the person he really works for is.
Based on the cultist model
WS 64 BS 65 S 50 T 55 I 53 WP 67 SG52 NV 72 LD 51

Skills:
-Dodge: He has seen too many gunfights not to know when the bullets start flying.
-Nerves of steel: Zeal replaces fear.

Equipment:
-Heavy stubber with a reload (edited to Heavy assault rifle with 2 reloads)
-knife (edited to also have electro-flail)
-Charged with healing his new master if here were to be wounded: he also carries a medi-pak.
(edit: flak armor under robes)

A few notes: The weakness of this group is definitely resiliance. They are not exactly of the armored variety. This is their first assignment together so there is no true bond between the characters though they share similar motivations. As for the storyline and he cult: their objective is likely to be more of the purge variety.

Inquisitor Cade

Nice, this is as great character for the model, and the skills are very appropriate. He could get on well with Omayes, another puritan, but he is a psyker.

Quote(the traitorous model is immediately removed from play)
It won't quite work like that, he will have to be killed/run off first, no spontanious disappearing.

Quote-Bastard sword
The model's weapon is much too slender, but is expensive looking, what do you think about a vibro sword.

Regretably I have no servo skulls, so that's in the admech shop for the game following damage taken in a missalaneous encounter previously.

I'd give him a refractor feild, that is normally off but that he turns on if necessary, the low armour, low T and high Nv makes him otherwise very vunerable to gunfire.

As for the stats, they are on the whole too high for quantitative values, so I've done a bit of rounding down for some of them whilst converting to qualitative. What do you think of:

Ws- He is a master swordsman.
Bs- A practiced but not exceptional shot.
S- Conciderably stronger than he looks, stronger than most.
T- Pretty low, though he can battle through physical weakness with mental strength.
I- High from experiance working alone, being self sufficient.
Wp- Rock hard, iron will.
Sg- Not remarkable for an inquisitor, but that still makes him very intelligent.
Nv- He doesn't fear death, he is waiting for it.
Ld- Unimpressive, though he has an air of authoroty, he is neather inspireing nor confident in his minions.

The model also has a bigger left hand than right, I painted it white and in my mind it is a ceramite glove to protect from plasma overloads, see the revised Inquisitor armoury, what do you think?

As for Marleck's stats how do you feel about:

Ws/Bs- Trained as an arbiter, and has kept well practiced with much experiance, he is very competant at range or close up.
S/T- Keeps fit, spends 'free time' working out when not devouting or training, all the better to serve the emperor.
I- Follows litanies and codes, not so good at thinking for himself.
Wp- His faith reinforces his otherwise weak mind, as long as he keeps his zeal, he would be quite hard to break.
Sg- He was educated but never interested in academics, not very smart.
Nv- "If the emperor is with me, who then shall I fear?"
Ld- A follower, but a senior follower.

Skills seem good to me, combining experiance with zeal in an almost contadictory way.

As for kit the model's gun was based of the heavy assault rifle from Marco's revised Inquisitor armory, which is better than the rulebook heavy stubber in most respects, or as a battle rifle. If you want to play it as a heavy stubber then it would need a reduced magazine size, and I'd suggest more reloads, the model has two pouches.
The model has a flail/electro flail too, I'd count it.

What are your thoughts?
*Insert token witticism*

madwargamer

I agree to most of your changes though wasn't sure for the cultist gun. (looked pretty big on the picture). As for the vibro-sword it seemed to be a non-special (ie power/shock/vibro) wepon but very long for a normal sword which is why I went for the bastard sword but if you say it's a vibro-sword I can go with that. As for shield I dunno because the inquisitor in neither flashy (conversion field: literally) but tries to keep a low/stealthy profile (so the refractor field is out) but the idea of turning it on or off is pretty good (he would probably appreciate the shock factor of a force field when purging evil cultists).
Back to Marleck: maybe then it should be a heavy assault rifle with 2 reloads (did not read the revised armory). Also I did not see the electro-flail (and still don't for that matter) but a shock weapon definitely fits his time with the arbites.

Inquisitor Cade

The gun is based on the Lasgun model, so any impression of largness was due to the heroic proportions of citadel miniatures.

I think that if he had a refractor field but kept if off as default then it wouldn't interfer with his low profile. I fear that he will die very quickely if he doesn't have something.

I also thought that Marleck might have a flack vest that he wears under his robes. It would fit his resources and his experiance combat background, esspecially as he planned to go vigilante so would have wanted some protection. His background might be better is you replaced the arbites with local enforcers. That would better explain the kit he has, and the arbites are much more official an organisation, much harder to drop out of.
*Insert token witticism*

madwargamer

sure for local enforcers but I wanted to keep Marleck on the henchman status (clearly less poweful than the inquisitor) btw we are talking about the 11th model on this page right? http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=159.0
I am aware of the relative vulnerability of the group but the problem is they trust the emperor to protect them (though they would use cover). That is why they are not totting power and carapace armor. They will be vulnerable to gunfire unless in cover and that seems unavoidable.

Inquisitor Cade

Yes, though the model now has a smaller magazine on the gun.

Here:
*Insert token witticism*

madwargamer

Okay thanks this definitely shows the gun more accurately. Is that the electro flail under this right arm/more or less on his back?

Inquisitor Cade

Yeah, that's it there, the handle protuding from his back and the flailing bits along the top of his leg.
*Insert token witticism*

madwargamer

edited my original character post with the changes

Dvil

Okay, I think I have the henchman. It's based on the Pious Philemon model from this thread. He carries the same weapons as the model (laspistol, revolver, and eviscorator, I think), as well as a small med-pack specifically designed for Omoyes' 'infection'. He practices more with the eviscorator than with the two guns due to the amount of practice required to use each skillfully. While he has the same levels of psychic energy as the average imperial citizen, he seems to have some ability to sense the presence of psy-sensitive persons nearby, a skill which has saved Omoyes' life on more than one occasion, either by warning him of impending danger, or allowing him to find his master while Omoyes is hidden in cover.

How's that so far?
On MSN? Add me! Let's face it; if you don't I'll just add you.

Inquisitor Cade

It's a chainsword rather than an eviscerator. I hate the way that the Malicant model cheapened the meaning of eviscerators, which should be much broader, more akin to a giant chain saw than a chain sword.

Sounds good, how did he get in ith Omoyes, and why doesn't the Inquisitor carry the medicine himself? What is the motivation of this character and most of all, what's his name?

Everyone is using my cultist goons, there goes my plan for an easy, generic enemy
*Insert token witticism*

Mang

I'm also interested if you don't think three people are too many...

I'll have a look and think while you are deciding :)