Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Online game of Inquisitor

Started by Inquisitor Cade, November 24, 2009, 02:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inquisitor Cade

If we have 4 players, my instinct would be to rearrange it to have two warbands of two, with each player contrling one character, this would stop it from slowing down to much and shold facilitate some more interesting intercharacter dynamincs, as the two characters in each warband would be fairly equal, and not entirly in agreement. I recon it would be interesting to play an ex-guard junior officer and an ex-arbiter, sent by an inquisitor, against a fighty inquisitor and a scolarly Inquisitor ally.

However, warbands have already been made and I don't want to waste that. We could go for an eight character game, as that isn't too many and would mean a turn would take a eight day. Or Mang and Marco could create particularly cabable allies (i.e. not unquestioning lackies) for the two Inquisitors we have already, and we discard the cultist minions currently made.
Unless of course Marco would rather sit it out, I did convince him to play when Dvil was the only other interested party, and he said he was busy.

Mang, have you got any ideas for a character? If not a moderate radical would be a good choise from to point of view of what we have so far.
*Insert token witticism*

madwargamer

I can keep the inquisitor and get rid of the henchman if that makes things easier on you.

Inquisitor Cade

Marco's okay with missing this game, so we'll keep it to the classic, and proven style of a player per warband. If Mang can get some characters decided on then we can get started.

Mang do you have any ideas or shall I provide you with characters? It isn't really fair to rush you, but this has taken a while to get off the ground and it would be nice to get started, so the sooner the better.
*Insert token witticism*

Mang

I think it's probably easiest if you give me characters, no ideas (well good ones anyway) are coming out...

I was thinking of a moderate radical though, so that works out quite nicely!

I love the look of Celeb (sooo tempted to steal that idea :p) if that fits with your thoughts, with possibly Triston as an Ali.

I leave it to you!

Inquisitor Cade

Vice-Govener Aldros Drahlan gained power by bribary, intimidation and other typical skullduggary. He was, for year unable to wrest power from the planet Latubain govener Ovands for many years, for he was, if anything more capable in the dance of dishonerable politics. For three decades Drahlan amassed a significant personal fortune, but failed to unseat Ovands, though survived the counter assassination attempts, not for nothing did he also possess the golden hilt for combatual excellence. Eventually he came up with a sceme to Take the seat of power.

Sladen Rayne was a guardsman of no rank in the PDF of Laturbain for a few year before, at the age of 16 his psychic power became evident. Of the witnesses the fastest to act was called Kolo, and was from the planet's underworld. He forcefully took Sladen from there and delivered him to his old Gang boss. Sladen was used by the gang as a terror weapon, rival gangs would give up just at the threat of psychic attack. With his contacts in the underworld Aldros Drahlan learned of this 'weapon' and sort to hire the services of Ryane, as an attack straight to the mind would bypass oll of Ovands' defences.

The attack was successful, but only partially. Ovands was killed but Aldros was discoverd to have made use of a rogue psyker. When the resident Arbiter, supported by a platoon of local enforcers arrived at his home there was no sign of him. Drahlan took Rayne and a very large amount of money value in precious minerals, metals and gemstones, and fled the planet in a trading vessel that he all but bought from the owner. The investigation launched after him gave up after 3 months with no leads, save the trading vessel with anyone who knew about the passenger found dead, their lungs apparantly shriveling, leading to asphixiation.

Aldros Dahlan now seeks power, in any and all forms, but for now dares not do so overtly in any major population center. Sladen Rayne chose to follow him, but as he often grumbled to himself, what other choise did he have?

Aldros is an exceptional hand to hand fighter with a light blade, esspecially his custom made titanium cane sword. His shooting is less that remarkable, the minimum experiance he has had was ussually at targets that were not ready or able to shoot back, and the digi weapons he wears he has never used at any sort of range.
He is not frail or fat, but doesn't exersize more than is necessary. Rejuve treatments give him the body of a 40 year old.
His cowardice in the face of danger is largly responsible for his survival.
He is very cunning, able to quickely assess a situation and work out how to bring in to his advantage. His will is passable, but still one of his weaknessess. His ability to lead is not however, he could have made a very capable planetary govener, albeit a dishonest one.

Skills: Leader, First strike, Fast draw. Right handed

Equiptment: Light carapace armour on chest, abdomin and legs. Open helm with integral motion tracker. Needle pistol with fast acting debilitating, and potentialy toxic darts, plus 4 reloads. Digi-laspistol (10 shots, Right hand). Digi hand flamer (1 shot left hand).

Sladen has the benefits of a light military training, includinga compotency at shooting and, to a lesser exxtent, in close combat.
He is (normally) frail, but reasonably tough.
He is neither quick witted, smart or brave, but his will is quite strong, as evidenced by his brain still being inside his head.
A born follower.

Skills: warp strength, enfeeble (lesser affect, not too hard, difficulty increases quickely with range), choke (much easier, altered affect: target cannot breath when power is being performed on them, note present tense). Regenerate (difficult for him though).

Kit: Military issue flack armour, offers more protection to torso, but does protect whole body, includes an open helm. 10 shot high power stubber with 2 reloads. Ornate staff, made to look like a rune staff, but isn't, the spikes make it a functional spear or long spiked mace tupe weapon.

I went to write a radical, but instead wrote a text book bad guy. I'll get a scenario and the details sorted and posted by this evening. With any luck we can start turn 1 tomorrow.
*Insert token witticism*

Mang

A text book bad guy is fine by me :)

There is something appealing about the pure lust for power, and being able to do pretty much anything to get there. Well, anything that won't arouse too much suspicion, anyway!

I see these two needing to work fairly closely to get the job done, with Rayne doing pretty much whatever is asked of him, but more to stay alive than out of any true feeling of loyalty to Aldros. He would have limits though. However, Aldros is very good at persuading him to do what he needed.

I see them working subtly, quiet kills and the like, possibly using civilians etc. to aid them.

Is this about right?

Inquisitor Cade

Oh, Aldros also has a cane sword. I left it out on purpose. As a test. . . . moving on.

That fit with how I saw them, not that it matters I suppose, I wrote them but they are now your characters to define and edit as much as you like, within reason*.

Based on the unspecific initiatives of the characters I've estimated the characters of highest to lowest Initiative to be:
Aldros Drahlan
Rastgnac
Dvil Omoyes
Marleck
Nickol Gamn
Sladin Rayne

I'm going to put Rayne at the top of the henchmen for the turn sequence though, so that each of you will be on every third day, rather than day 1 and 6 / 2 and 4 / 3 and 5 of the sequence.

*<mad with power>the GM's reason, which may not be reasonable. The GM has all the power, Mwahahahaha.</mad with power>

+Lacking character or a name I've substituted one here for Omoyes' henchman. If you have one already or want to make changes then let me know asap so I can update it.

+++lit text begin ref 00885824.7+++
Nickol Gamn: preacher; gun collector; Inquisitorial agent.

To begin with, it was just Hope. She was mine from early childhood, an age before I can remember. A single action revolver of the highest calibre, excuse the pun, I maintained her, and kept her beautiful, all my life.
Then came Faith, that big girl was dropped of by a weary old soldier, said he'd served his due, and so had she. Seems in retropect that he was mistaken about that, she's cleaved few a fair few more sinner since that day. I keep her teeth clean, and her bite keeps the unworthy at bay.
Charity was last, a gift from my lord Omoyes, when I entered his service. Laspistol, repeater mode, gets on well with Hope, and she all but cleans herself.

Those are my girls, strong Hope, old Faith, and gentle Charaty. I serve them, they serve my lord Omoyes, and he serves the emperor.

Ws- shows evidence of his obsessively dedicated drilling, and his much more limited experiance.
Bs- trusts the emperor over his eye to guide his hand. Not a very good shot, but not that bad.
S/T- is active, so pretty fit, but doesn't specifically dedicate time to fitness. drills with a chainsword are a workout in their own right though.
I- Quick witted for a civilian, but not experianced enough to have developed his 'combat reflexes'
Wp- Medeocre, except for certain issues; his loyalty to the emperor, his weapons and Omoyes, in that order.
Sg- Crude education, and he wasn't hired for his brain, though his weapons knowledge and understanding is remarkable, and he is versed in the texts of the low eclessiarchy.
Nv- Self preservation is strong, but comes after preservation of Omoyes, but that comes after preservation of his weapons.
Ld- He is a spiritual leader, albeit a low ranking one, and has some capacity to lead.

Skills: Witch hound, fast draw (Faith), hipshooting (charaty).

Kit: Light, improvised flack armour to all locations except head. 5 shot single action (the hammer needs manualy pulling back for each shot) magnum revolver, 9 rounds in total plus a single silver round. A repeater laspistol that can fire in 4 shot bursts or on semi, 2 mags of 40 shots, 1 energy setting only. A heavy duty chainsword.

I'm fleshing out the qualitative stats and kit of Omoyes too, based on the background you gave, again this is a TBC until you correct anything that needs changing (I'm guessing with the psychic disapline, made him misallaneous).

Stats:

Ws- Impressive, he is an expert with that hammer of his.
Bs- Good, but he prefers not to shoot stuff he can smite up close.
S/T- Is very active in keeping fit, both for practicle reasons and as a purifying experiance.
I/Sg/Nv- You don't get to be an inquisitor without being smart, quick witted and brave.
Wp- Necessary to be an Inquisitor, necessaey to be a capable psyker, he is both, and it shows.
Ld- Infinite authouroty, and the ability to use it.

Skills: Leader, Furious assault. Telepathy, psychic impel, fireball, detection, banishment.

Kit: Force hammer, Compact, small calibre autogun with 1, extended 50 round magazine. Capable of semi automatic, 2 round burst or full auto. With 2x sight. 20 shot holdout laspistol strapped to thigh. semi automatic. High powersetting doubles ammo consumption. Photon flash grenade. Carapace on chest, heavy flack on abdomen, robes on other locations, not head.
*Insert token witticism*

Inquisitor Cade

So the rules.

*GM hat on*
[strict voice]
The turn sequence is:

Drahlan
Rastgnac
Omoyes
Rayne
Marleck
Gamn

Characters cannot wait until later to act, this is all taken as simulatnious.
-exception, conversations would last forever if it takes a turn for each participent to say one thing. If a coversation starts up I'll ad lib something, but don't fear to talk because it takes time, unless you're being shot at of course.

Each character's turn takes a real time day. The actions have to be submitted to me by PM by a deadline (provisionaly I'm going to say 8.00PM, is this reasonable?) and I will update the IC thread that night, at the latest finished by 8:00AM (though hopefully a lot sooner).

In the event that I don't have submitted actions by the time I come to write it up I'll improvise plausable actions for the characters that are not likely to be particularly adventageous. Gamn taking a turn out to polish his revolver might be an example.

There is a good chance that the case will come up where a character looks around the corner near the begining of the turn. If I'm doing my job right you should know what is around there. Use conditional actions. I.e. <if he sees him then he..., if not he...>

A note on overwatch. If a character ends the turn aiming at/near or otherwise covering something, then include how he will react if someone appears. Feel free to expand and give different reactions depending on what appears.

Actions need to be quite detailed <He aimes and fires at him as fast as he can/slow enough to keep his aim on target>, not: <he kills him>. Don't worry about the Speed. Give as many actions as seems appropriate, usually there will be a natural conclution, like he looks around to see what he can see, or he fires at him as much as he can... if not then 5-10 actions depending on complexity should be right. I'll decide how many actions are performed based on my infallable GM judgement.

I will try to reward interesting, exciting, and most of all in character actions, but you should aim for them even if I weren't. Remember to think from the characters point of view, not from your own. You might know there is an Inquisitor with a smiting hammer waiting for him round the corner, but if the character doesn't I won't accept him desciding to throw a grenade round first, for example. A more regular mistake, your two characters don't have a hive mind, so <he tells the other what he sees> etc. is a useful action and I won't allow characters to act on infomation that only the other one knows.

Close combat could be quite boring, so I'll reward actions that are more informative than <contines to fight> such as, <he tries to force his opponant back into a corner> or <he focuses his attacks on his opponants head to draw his guard up, then attacks low to try to get under it>.

Challenges:
You may never challange anything I say or do, the GM is always right
Dispite being infallable, the GM is not infallable, though you'll never ccatch me contradicting myself.
In the event that you think I've made a bad call or misinturpretted an action etc etc, then send me a message asap. I'll conscider the objection andreject it out of hand possibly edit the post. If I made a misinturpretation due to bad action giving from you I'll probably not correct it unless what you meant is particularly cool. If it is a matter of knowledge and reasoning e.g. If Marco contacted me and told me that the bullet wound I said was fatal wouldn't be, or that at that range there is no way a pistol would hit, I'll reconcider, e.g. to Marco I'd yeild to his superior balistics knowledge and change it.

However, if I decide against your objection then that is the end of it.

[/strict voice]

Let's have a good clean fight, and/or some dirty backstabbing.
I'm going to go and set the scene in the in character tread. Would you all check in that you are good to start tomorrow (or otherwise), So Mang, if we are all ready it'll be you giving me Drahlans actions.
*Insert token witticism*

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Inquisitor CadeIf Marco contacted me and told me that the bullet wound I said was fatal wouldn't be, or that at that range there is no way a pistol would hit, I'll reconsider, e.g. to Marco I'd yield to his superior ballistics knowledge and change it.
Marco wouldn't really be likely to make that kind of statement. People can and have been killed by air pistols, or even by simply being hit in the chest by a baseball/tennis ball/etc (It's a condition known as Commotio cordis, caused by sharp impact to the chest during the start of the heart's T-wave).

So, I can't really say outright that something won't be lethal. Unlikely to be, but not impossible.
Equally, I can't say for certain that a bullet couldn't hit at any given range, unless that range is aerodynamically impossible. Again, perhaps unlikely, but not impossible.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Dvil

Okay, two things:

Firstly, thanks very much for that character development. Christmas is band season, so I have little time to exercise my imagination enough to plot a campaign I'm GMing and a character for another campaign, though I suspect actual playing won't be a problem. Related to this is the fact that what you wrote is wonderful, and probably better than I could provide even with Marco/Kaled's help, and as such I won't dream of changing it, except: does Gamn have some medpack to help with Omoyes' wound? Obviously the wound iteslf (and any subsequent corruption) is largely just a plot hook, so I'll leave its presence/importance (and that of the medpack) up to you.
Secondly, do the characters have microbeads of any sort, or do they have to be next to each other to communicate?
On MSN? Add me! Let's face it; if you don't I'll just add you.

Inquisitor Cade

Good points. Omoyes wounds are, in my understanding, mostly superficial at this point, having healed to leave only scars. If this is wrong, and he needs medication or what have you, then I assume he carries it himself.

I tend to assume that warbands with reasonablr resources, so all of these qualify, would have com links, unless a character individually doesn't suit them e.g. a feral warrior/alien telepath bounty hunter. So everyone here has them unless you choose otherwise.

Other notes:

Mardecks auto rifle has 3 mags total, with 16 shots each.

Plasma weapons have semi automatic capability, but rapid fire greatly increases the chance if a meltdown, along with continual fire for extended periods, even if fired at a steady rate. Rastgnac's plasma pistol has 10 shots. Reloading involves replacing two seperate flasks and he has two spare of each.
*Insert token witticism*

Inquisitor Cade

The in character thread is called 'the 23rd hammer' though you proberbly could have worked that out.
*Insert token witticism*

Inquisitor Cade

It's MS paint time.

Drahlan and Rayne enter from the right of the map (left of the room from their perspective, the Black dots.
Rastgnac and Marleck are at the other side, the grey dots.
And Omoyes and Gamn are in the middle tunnels, the blue dots.

Mang I think you've got everything you need to send me Drahlan's first set of actions for tomorrow, if you come online in timeAssuming that you do, I await them eagarly.

Does anyone have any questions/ notice anything I've not covered before we start?
*Insert token witticism*

Mang

One more question, I am assuming we are running off GMT for the times. (Makes it much easier for me if we are :p)

Inquisitor Cade

That is correct. The majoroty of the convlave is in England. In all honesty I'd forgotten that any of the players might not be.
*Insert token witticism*