Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Sahib and His Cronies

Started by Gnaeus Conlitor, December 03, 2009, 06:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnaeus Conlitor

The new antagonist warband for my ongoing campaign. Details as follows.

Inquisitor Derren Sahib

Sahib was a Colnel in the Archasian XIV when the Radical Inquisitor Haldo Luftstien investigated the regiment for taint prior to a protracted action against Chaos forces. The two Imperial agents got along famously well and Luftstien decided to let Sahib in on his most deadly secret. The Daemonhost Gridash. While most men would recal in fear Sahib was fascinated by the creature and was assisted in studying it by its master. Soon Sahib found himself in Lufstien's personal retinue treading the path of the interrogator to hopefuly one day aquiring his own rossette. Toward his ordination the two got seperated and Sahib grew concerned for his master's saftey. These concerns were confirmed by the Daemonhost Gridash visiting the newly ordained Inquisitor upon the very eve of his induction into the order. Luftstien was dead. Burned as a heretic by the Monodominant Gnaeus Conlitor. Sahib immediately set out to avenge his master with the Daemonhost's guidence.

WS 77 BS 65 S 55 T 57 I 69 WP 69 SG 76 NV 78 Ld 79 Speed 4

Right Handed

Talents: Leader, Blademaster, Heroic

Equipment: Hell Pistol, 2 Clips, Knife, Com Link, Flack Armour to all locations except head

Gridash

Haldo Luftstien was a classic Xanthinite with all that entailed. Naturally he took the oppotunity of creating his own Daemonhost as soon as he could but fearing his more puritanical brothers he kept it his most closely guarded secret. It was a secret that ultimately lead to his downfall at the hands of Monodominant Gnaeus Conlitor. Conlitor's execution of Luftstien however recived a little criticism from his more moderate brothers. The cheif charge was that Luftstien had created a Daemonhost but no such creature had been produced at the trial. The Daemonhost took flight from his master and sook out his young apprentice: telling him what had happened and filling his mind with thoughts of revenge.

WS 56 BS 51 S 52 I 53 WP 93 SG 92 Nv 87 LD 29 Speed 4

Right Handed

Special Abilities: Daemonic (Impervious), Fearsome, Possession, Force of Will

Psychic Powers: Warp Strength, Psychic Shield, Fireball, Blood Boil

More incoming when I get a chance
Inquisitor got me in to roleplaying which in turn kick started my writing career. I am eternally grateful.

Kaled

Quote from: Gnaeus Conlitor on December 03, 2009, 06:22:34 PM
These concerns were confirmed by the Daemonhost Gridash visiting the newly ordained Inquisitor upon the very eve of his induction into the order. Luftstien was dead. Burned as a heretic by the Monodominant Gnaeus Conlitor.
Given what you've written here, it seems a little unlikely he'd be made an Inquisitor if his master had just been burned as a heretic.  I'd have thought suspicion would have fallen on him too and he'd be thoroughly investigated at least before being promoted.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Gnaeus Conlitor

Possibly but I'm taking into account extream geographical seperation and the clunkyness of administration over several star systems. Sahib didn't know until he was brought the message in person. I'm guessing his superiors wouldn't have got the message in time. He may well have been investigated after that but if there was such an investigation he would most likely have been cleared being geographically seperated from his master for quite some time.

Capid

The Creature known as Capid was once a humble news sheet salesman on Archasia in the capital city of Astiria. Civil unrest against Archasia's incompetant Cardinal Gethent spilled onto the streets of Astiria. The poor salesman was caught in the middle of a particularly violent throng of protestors who suceeded in toppling the Cardinal from his Sedan chair and brutually kerb stomping him to death. Pushed foward by the crowd the poor salesman found himself covered in the late Cardinal's blood in front of the shotgun of an arbite. The Ecclesiastical court sentanced him to Archo Flagenation and the creature known as Capid was born. In a Adminstratum prompted shake up of Archo Flagenant storage Capid was moved to a small shrine on the sparsly populated far side of Archasia. The Shrine was not really secure enough for the storage of such a dangerous weapon: As Sahib proved by stealing the creature by setting it on its few guards. If a simple summary could be made of Capid's life, he has always been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

WS 56 BS 18 S 76 T 84 I 51 WP 99 SG 13  NV 167 LD 15 Speed 4

Special Abilites: Ambidextrous, Furious Assault, Fearsome, Force of Will.

Trigger Word: Nosferatu

Equipment: 2 Implanted electro flails, Injector Implants with 50 turns worth of Slaught and Reflex, Pacifier Helm with Com Link Pick Up.

Inquisitor got me in to roleplaying which in turn kick started my writing career. I am eternally grateful.

Kaled

It's a possibility - but my thinking was that Sahib must have been nominated for promotion by Luftstien so there must have been some communication between him and the Inquisitors who made up the panel who gave Sahib his rank (would you give the ultimate authority to someone whose background and training you didn't know?).  I don't imagine three Inquisitors would promote him without knowing something of his master.  And even if he was geographically separated from his master, I still wouldn't trust someone who had been mentored by a notorious heretic and would watch him like a hawk even if it was too late to prevent his promotion - which would make it difficult for him to wander around with a daemonhost.

I'm not suggesting it's not possible, just that the situation merits further explanation - I actually rather like the basic idea.

Gnaeus Conlitor

Perhaps I'll say although he was initialy in Luftstien's retinue and the radical was responsible for the vast majority of his training the final stages were with other Inquisitors. There were of course questions raised by Luftstien being declared a Heretic but nothing that Sahib could not rebuke in full. Besides Conlitor did not have his star witness/piece of evidence causing even other puritains to have their doubts about the verdict.

The Daemonhost needn't necessarily be a burden if it was kept secure. In fact the creature's great intellect and knowledge of heresy law could be used as an advantage.

Inquisitor Cade

Quote2 Clips
Uh oh...

Sahib is more impressive in close combat than I'd expect for a fresh Inquisitor. From his guard background I get the Bs, but Ws 77 and bladmaster could do with a justification clause in the background.

I think any Sg in excess of 65 should be accompanied by 'and ___ was impressed by his intellegence' or something and an Sg above 75 needs even more emphisis, but I always think that so you should probably ignore me.

Heroic definetly needs background support.

I tend to assume that a com link is something that people have. I wouldn't bother listing it as kit. He doesn't have that much though for and inquisitor or even for a guard colonel. I'd make it a power knife, or a chian blade or something and give him a conversion field, a digi inferno pistol or something to suggest his importance.

The daemon has all the typical daemon psychic powers, I'd say go with a theme (fire/cold/maniplation etc.) and base the powers on that, but that isn't really a problem with the character at all.

An arco without barrage isn't going to be nearly as affective as a normal one. Sure it'll last longer, but they tend not to be built to last. Why was this one?
*Insert token witticism*

Kaled

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on December 03, 2009, 10:44:53 PM
I tend to assume that a com link is something that people have. I wouldn't bother listing it as kit.
I'd definitely list it - if I were GMing and your character wanted to talk to someone on the other side of the table and hadn't got a comm-link on their equipment list then they'd have to shout.  I might let you off if the model was wearing a comm-link - the same as I'd let your character use those wire-cutters hanging from his belt even if they weren't listed, or if he wanted to use his belt to tie someone up, but otherwise I'd say a comm-link is definitely something you should list.

Gnaeus Conlitor

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on December 03, 2009, 10:44:53 PM
Quote2 Clips
Uh oh...

Sahib is more impressive in close combat than I'd expect for a fresh Inquisitor. From his guard background I get the Bs, but Ws 77 and bladmaster could do with a justification clause in the background.

I think any Sg in excess of 65 should be accompanied by 'and ___ was impressed by his intellegence' or something and an Sg above 75 needs even more emphisis, but I always think that so you should probably ignore me.

Heroic definetly needs background support.

I tend to assume that a com link is something that people have. I wouldn't bother listing it as kit. He doesn't have that much though for and inquisitor or even for a guard colonel. I'd make it a power knife, or a chian blade or something and give him a conversion field, a digi inferno pistol or something to suggest his importance.

The daemon has all the typical daemon psychic powers, I'd say go with a theme (fire/cold/maniplation etc.) and base the powers on that, but that isn't really a problem with the character at all.

An arco without barrage isn't going to be nearly as affective as a normal one. Sure it'll last longer, but they tend not to be built to last. Why was this one?

Oh I forgot to mention in his background but in his years as a Colnel he spent some time with Storm Troopers who taught him the 40K equivelent of Spetznaz.

As for Heroic he was very much a leader from the front in his military days.

Equipment wise I'm a little hesitant to give him anything over killy. Force Fields are banned in my game for one thing. Maybe a power knife would work.

Gridash has quite a mix of powers I agree but he's supposed to be quite versitile and he is quite an old Daemonhost (hence the rotting flesh on the figure.)

Capid was likely undergoing some refurbishment when he was stolen. Bits maybe missing as a result.

Oh and there is a background tie between Sahib and Conlitor's henchman Guardsman Ketch. They're from the same regiment and probably knew each other.

Inquisitor Cade

QuoteAs for Heroic he was very much a leader from the front in his military days.
That is a rare, good justification for it, but I'd insert a couple of lines to that affect into the background.

QuoteEquipment wise I'm a little hesitant to give him anything over killy. Force Fields are banned in my game for one thing. Maybe a power knife would work.

Really? refractor fields are, if not common, then at least not exceptional within the ranks of guard officers, Why are the blanket banned?
There isn't really much about the model or character to suggest he is an inquisitor. While this is by no means a bad thing, there is certainly scope to spice the character up a bit.  If his eyes are black for no explored reason, why not call them advanced bionics with built in bio-scanner, infrascope and siingle shot digi inferno pistol, or something?

I've just noticed that you left the T stat out of Gridash. If he is a particularly old daemon host (pressumably Sahib doesn't yet have the ability to transfer him to a new host?) then why dont you emphisize that in how the character is represented. Drop his S and T right down (I suggest about 25's), as the body has wasted away to a large extent, and as the daemon has had lots of time to aclimatise to the body and get used to the motor functions give it a much higher Ws (pusshing 80) and a bit higher Bs (around 60). Give him a few more powers (teleportation seems appropriate if he crossed the galaxy to Sahib after Luftstien's death, maybe  instability and or terrify would suit him too). I'd suggest too giving hime some more daemonic abilities, and to explain his ability to last in the single host, maybe the vamprism exotic ability. I'd also suggest giving his unarmed attacks some of the daemon weapon properties, firey blast might fit with his fireball power, and ressurection with his lasting this long. I might also concider the rotting flesh mutation to go with the model.
*Insert token witticism*

Gnaeus Conlitor

You may not have noticed but there is an Inquisitial Seal on Sahib's chest.

Force fields are banned because of the abuse I've encountered with them its a personal preference designed to keep the game a little more balanced.

I left out the Daemon weapon properties of his attacks too His attacks have Vampyre, Lashing and Enfeeble. His T is 56.

I'll have a think about alterations and post an update.

Kaled

Quote from: Gnaeus Conlitor on December 05, 2009, 10:56:28 AM
Force fields are banned because of the abuse I've encountered with them its a personal preference designed to keep the game a little more balanced.
I'm curious, in what way were people abusing them?

Gnaeus Conlitor

Combining them with heavy armour mostly. And over deploying them. It got to the point where everyone and their wives had some form of force field. Plus the majority of the fields deployed were conversion fields meaning a lot of tests for bright flashes that stalled up the game.

Kaled

Ah, I figured that might be it - I have few characters with force fields, and they're combined with robes rather than armour.  Having a blanket ban on them seems overkill though - if I was ruling against them I'd only go as far as to limit what armour can be worn with them.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Gnaeus Conlitor on December 05, 2009, 12:11:59 PMCombining them with heavy armour mostly.
I remember someone who had a regenerating alien bounty hunter with power armour and a conversion field. Toughness 80 as well, IIRC. (And yes, there was the "But I rolled it up fair and square" argument.)

Still, a blanket ban on fields seems unreasonable. Unsupported, they're inconsistent and don't work in hand to hand. Really, I wouldn't outright ban anything - I'd want very good justifications for some things, but that's only reasonable.

Some characters just don't work with armour rather than force fields. Lyra (who I'm currently sculpting) is a slight character who I don't want covered in armour, but who it doesn't make sense to be unprotected.

Quote from: Gnaeus Conlitor on December 05, 2009, 12:11:59 PMPlus the majority of the fields deployed were conversion fields meaning a lot of tests for bright flashes that stalled up the game.
Simple solution... create a forcefield without the mode, or just raise the required number so that it only goes off on 10 or more. Suddenly, you've got less than half the flashes to deal with.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Carados

I have a guy with (mostly) carapace armour and he has a refractor field too.  The refractor field is very small though and only provides protection to his overwise unprotected head.