Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Competitions?

Started by Macabre, December 05, 2009, 01:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macabre

Seeing as I'm alluding to both the writing and the modelling competitions, I'll ask the question here. So, who's running them? Are they being run at all this year? I know Shard normally runs the writing comp (but hasn't been around for a very long time), and the modelling comp should be organised by last years winner (if they're still around).
++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

Heroka Vendile

I wouldn't mind being a judge for the writing comp for a change, I never manage to get anything written up for the comp anyway as I'm usually too busy during the traditional early/mid January submission period.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

RobSkib

To my knowledge, there is one official unofficial painting/modelling competition every year, run by the previous year's winner (which is me :/ ), so I'm guessing that will be early next year that I'll have to start looking into that.
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Macabre

Actually, the modelling comp is normally run over christmas (to give people the time to get things done), likewise the writing comp also (but I was a little late getting that together with the absence of Shard). That's why I asked the question considering the lateness of both competitions.

Magos Exarratus

I'd be willing to have a go at judging. I'm also up for attempting to run the thing if no-one else is up to that, but I have the feeling christmas might get fairly busy. Luckily I have no January exams, though.

Kaled

Quote from: Macabre on December 05, 2009, 06:35:34 PM
Actually, the modelling comp is normally run over christmas (to give people the time to get things done)
I don't know about 'normally' - we've only run it a couple of times.  When I won it was run late summer IIRC, and when I ran it it started in January and closed in Feb/March.  The only thing with the Hobby Competition is that we're reliant on people generously donating prizes in return for very little - we did really well last year (far better than I'd hoped to imagine), but I don't think we should ask too often in case we use up more than our fair share of goodwill...  Or maybe once again people will impress me with their generosity and I'm worrying about nothing...
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

precinctomega

I think the trick with prize support is to hit different companies each year.  As there are always new 54mm companies hitting the web, it shouldn't be too hard.  I should also point out that we have a few in-roads on the board to small companies: Steve Buddle, of course, of Eolith; but also Gav Fry at Gribble Miniatures, and Sergei at Molniya Miniatures.  I might have a route in to Damnation Miniatures in Russia (through the same guy who sells those plastic Insurgent minis).  And it might be worth hitting Pizzaro, too.

As for the short story competition, prize support is complicated, because of the IP issues associated with the competition.

R.

Macabre

Okay, with the absence of Shard, I'll run the writing comps again this term (plus I'll be able to keep an eye on things on the BB). I'll be looking for judges in the next week or so.