Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

New To The Conclave & Inquisitor

Started by abhorsen950, December 06, 2009, 09:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abhorsen950

Hello guys, Names Steve
Whenever ive looked into inquisitor ive been steered here and finally its back online and running.
Basically after spending the year telling myself and forums im getting into inquisitor ive finally pulled my finger out and im getting the Rulebook for christmas.

To start miniatures Im thinking still (ive stuck to this idea for a long time) Of using Ogre bulls as Chaos Mutants that will start me with 6 figures that i can kitbash and have a few warm up games then ill add INQ Models to flesh out the warbands.

Im also thinking of using http://www.victrixlimited.co.uk/online_shop/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=60&osCsid=c850551d2df1f146d0d7efecadd6834d   these.

But from what i can gather Space marines, Power armour and Bolt weapons are frowned upon.
Is this true?
Ive read the free pdf rules but i do want the book and the stats for bolters are ridiculous!

So is this face true?

Love to hear from you

Steve

Gnaeus Conlitor

Welcome to the Conclave.

Ogers and Ogryns are a good starting point for Inquisitor Converstions but remember they will be shorter than average humans. Perfect for mutants or Squats but not so good for Imperial agents.

Napoleonic 54mms are a fantastic idea for a low tech world. As you may have noticed there is a table of primitive weapons.

Theres nothing inherently wrong with using Space Marines, Power Armour and Bolters you just need a strong story justification mixed with some balancing factors. Inquisitor is horribly unbalanced if played with the same mindset as 40K you must get over the need for uber pwnage and focus on the importance of story.
Inquisitor got me in to roleplaying which in turn kick started my writing career. I am eternally grateful.

TheNephew

Conlitor's pretty much spot on there.
To clarify, Space Marines have life too easy rules-wise, and in the background it is difficult to justify them turning up under an inquisitor's command, and even harder in other contexts.
The Ogre's will make a good starting point, but as Conlitor says, they're a little short and lumpy - great for some henchmen from a high-gravity world or mutants, so they can be re-used as faceless goons again and again in games.
For other miniature sources (usually competitively priced and with a clearer range of what's available) investigate the P&M's Resources thread.
A point to bear in mind is that GW sculpts are seriously beefy guys - they can occasionally make sculpts from other manufacturers look laughably weedy.
Or pitch a character design on the P&M board and you'll get a hefty fistful of model suggestions.

Myriad

Where are our manners.

Welcome to the conclave[/size]

As others have said, ogres have different proportions to humans but are fine as mutant henchmen / heavy worlders.

Power armour / power weapons / bolt guns...  The thing to remember is that it's not a skirmish combat game with the sole objective of taking the enemy out ASAP.  Power weapons / bolt guns tend to take even characters wearing carapace armour out with one hit, which generally makes for a less interesting game.  Similarly power armour is extremely tough unless, of course, you've become involved in an arms race.  This isn't to say not to use them, since most inquisitors would carry an ace or two up their sleeve, merely that the game tends to be less fun if everyone has them.

Space marines, although cool, are hard to fit into the narrative of the game - just what is the hammer of the imperium doing sneaking round a back alley with the inquisitor?  Also unless the game has turned into an arms race, they tend to be overpowering (as you'd expect).  As above, they're quite usable where you can justify them narratively, and so long as you design the scenarios / opposition with the appropriate power level in mind.

As for the napoleonic 54mm - if you can justify it and it looks good, they're fine, and probably quite easy to convert to a higher tech level.  It's make a more military themed warband than most of us go for, but different is good!

I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Ynek

Quote from: abhorsen950 on December 06, 2009, 09:42:07 PM
But from what i can gather Space marines, Power armour and Bolt weapons are frowned upon.
Is this true?

Well, the weapons in themselves aren't really what's frowned upon per se. What's frowned upon are players who look through the rulebook and decide that their characters are going to have bolters, power armour and power swords just because they're the most powerful pieces of equipment available, without giving any real explanation or justification for their character having the aforementioned pieces of kit.

All in all, to make the most out of Inquisitor, and to get the most fun out of it, you need to put a bit of effort into making your characters feel 'real' (within the confines of suspended disbelief) and putting a bit of effort into the scenarios that they are involved in. Inquisitor really is a game that the more you put into it, the more you get out in return.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

MarcoSkoll

I know quite a lot has already been said, but...

Quote from: abhorsen950 on December 06, 2009, 09:42:07 PMBut from what i can gather Space marines, Power armour and Bolt weapons are frowned upon.
The inappropriate use of them (or indeed, anything) is frowned upon, but not the actual concept. Many players choose them because they're powerful, without considering anything else.

Let me explain...

Bolt weapons are bulky, heavy, rare and very overt. They will attract attention immediately, destroying any stealth, cover or subtlety. They're also a lot to lug around all the time, when the actual chance of coming across a foe at all is unlikely - and the chance that's a foe that a bolter can kill, but which a lighter and subtler autopistol couldn't is even less.

I could elaborate about the other stuff, but in short, they're all rare, completely unsubtle and for the most part total overkill.

What tends to happen is that people take this equipment on characters where it doesn't make sense, and that's what's frowned upon. Really, is any Inquisitor who prefers to act subtly really going to carry a bolter that would mark him out the moment he enters the room?

If you can explain why the character has this equipment, and why he's prepared to put up with any disadvantages, that's another kettle of fish.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Adlan

I echo what the others have said,

Also, 6 models is a lot to use straight off, especially if you are learning the rules, Am I correct in guessing you are Littha's gaming buddy? If so, I echo my offer for a game using my figures any time convenient, so you can have a go get an idea of power and effectiveness, and then make warbands with a bit of experience.

I'd suggest starting off making one model, then building a warband of 3 or 4. Eventually you'll have expanded and made new warbands (or had them branch off from old ones) that you have a collection like some of those here (40+ models).

abhorsen950

Guys thanks for the response its really appreciated.
Second a big thanks to all for explaining the Space marines and Bolters etc
Third I was thinking of using the ogres as squats and chaos mutants anyway i was going to split them 3 for chaos 3 for squats.
But as some of you have said playing with 6 figures for a beginner is difficult and i totally agree ide most likely only use 1 or 2 models.
But im also thinking maybe instead of them buy the sister assassins the inuquisitor models i cant remember what there called.
I suppose they could be next on the list.

Cheers guys

Steve

RobSkib

What is a good idea, however, is something my friend did recently. Buy three relatively similar models (ie not cherubael, Krash, the Eldar etc) and kitbash when they turn up on your doorstep. It always impresses me how many different combinations of common bits are cropping up that I hadn't seen before.

For example, a Guardsman (Black?) looks very cool in covenant's carapace armour, very Inquisitorial stormtrooper. Stone's legs make a very striking pose when combined with Eisenhorn's torso/cloak. The Bounty Hunter's body looks great on Covenant's legs. In fact, 'Slick' Devlan, Covenant, the Bounty Hunter, the Guardsmen and Eisenhorn all fit very well together, so just grab a couple off eBay or the GW website and just bash bits together!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Kaled

That would be my suggestion too - kitbash a few models and you'll soon have an interesting an unique warband.  also, a box of Ogre Bulls or those Napoleonics are about £20, but if you shop around on eBay you could easily get 3-4 GW models for that price.  Sure you might have to strip the paint off them, but it'd gave you a warband of very different characters rather than six very similar ones...
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

abhorsen950

Cheers guys and i get what you mean
Might just take the dip and get a few of ebay the real inquisitor figures that is.
Still even though im buying a few of ebay, i still want to do a chaos mutants and squats ;)
also that gives me enough figures for me to get friends into the game, therefore i can keep the GW ones for me ;)

Cheers guys

Steve

Kaled

Other options if you just want some cheap miniatures that can be used to get people started (and then can later be used as grunts) are 1/32 Airfix soldiers (they're a touch small, but would do as a starting point), or something like these Russian miniatures that a few people have bought recently.  In this thread you can see some that have been (slightly) converted by Kierkegaard - again, they'd make a good starting point.

abhorsen950

Kaled would you be able to use Tamiya 1/35 kits?
Ive got a couple Americans and Germans and there a fiver a box so i can go get a couple ofnew boxs and convert those

Love to hear from you guys

Steve

Kaled

Quote from: abhorsen950 on December 09, 2009, 06:39:45 PM
Kaled would you be able to use Tamiya 1/35 kits?
You could, but they'd be small - they'd probably look like young teenagers next to a GW 54mm model.

abhorsen950

Im also toying with the idea of a Mecha character, the reason why i dont want to touch GW INQ Models is that there metal theyre great and all buy i just dont do metal models, this is why im trying to find something to convert from plastic I.E The Ogre bulls.

Anyway the Mecha Character i was thinking a battle suit but he might turn out a bit small, still would look cool next to a fully scale character, could be like his guardian etc.

Cheers guys

Steve