Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Acolyte Coral and Inquisitor Graethen's associates. (Greetings and Critique)

Started by Nakartai, December 07, 2009, 09:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nakartai

Well, returning here after a brief membership towards the end of the old forum I still have yet to manage to play a game of inquisitor. However university has arrived and I'm feeling optimistic. Some of you may recognise some of the names following however the background idea has been completely revamped and the names are pretty much the only thing remaining from previous incarnations (bar the models).

Without further ado, here's the fluff to start with.

------------------------------------
*Accessing Inquisitorial Personnel File*
*Query: Coral*
*Retrieving profile*
MGRAE.2743.89
Name: Acolyte Dominica Coral
*Profile restricted*
*Requesting authorisation*
...ERROR
*Command override*
*Authorisation granted*

Birthplace: Jehran City, Skollos
Social Background: Skollos Planetary Government
Notable Connections:
Inquisitor Marcus Graethen - Inquisitor
Lord Marshal Asmodei Coral (Father) - Head of Skollos Planetary Security (elected position-Noble Vote)
Notes:
------------------------
------------------------
The youngest Coral child is intriguing, while her performance in the tourney was exceptional -  with practical experience she would make a spectacular swordswoman - of greater interest was her mind. While Lord Coral's position is well earned his daughter has the potential to be far greater... should she not be tied down by marriage, a likely prospect for such a Noble daughter. I shall have to speak to the Lord Marshal...
------------------------
*Skip to later entry*
------------------------
The latest report on Miss Coral is most promising. It appears the girl has discovered that she is being shadowed. Ambel and Toska are far too skilled to be loosing their touch, this is a momentous occasion for the young lady, even if she believes her tails to be reporting to her father.
------------------------
*Skip to later entry*
------------------------
Emperor help me, I may yet die of laughter! Ambel has been captured by Miss Coral. Admittedly he made a critical error becoming too relaxed over the years in the knowledge that she already knew of his existence. The girl cleverly designed a trap involving a few hired mercenaries and an architect. How Ambel missed the modifications to the room I do not know, but Lord Marshal Coral had to involve himself to calm his daughter and return my associate. I should approach Miss Coral soon, she is already most suspicious regarding her father's delay in having her married.
------------------------
*Skip to later entry*
------------------------
The expression found when one is told that an Inquisitor has an interest in training them never grows old. Miss Coral has now joined me on the Valde Lux and seems to be impressing well upon my current companions.
------------------------
*Skip to later entry*
------------------------
Dominica's progress is most pleasing. Within a few years I may propose she be given the rank of Inquisitor in her own right. However, I believe a final test of her abilities will be appropriate, as such I am assigning Graham, Castus, and Moa'en to accompany her and providing her with one of my seals. She shall operate separate from me for a few years as I evaluate her progress.
...QUERY: related profiles
*Select profile*
*Retrieving profile*
MGRAE.1872.43
Name: Proge Graham
Birthplace: Tempestra
Social Background: Ecclesiarchy, Inquisitorial Service (34 years)
Notable Connections:
Notes:
------------------------
------------------------
Preacher Graham of Tempestra is a rightly devout man, however he has acquired certain documents which concern me. I believe he may be aware of the same truth as I. Further observation is required.
------------------------
*Skip to later entry*
------------------------
Excellent news, Graham is convinced of my cause and has accepted my offer most enthusiastically.
------------------------
*Skip to later entry*
------------------------
Proge has been of much use to me over the years. His utter loyalty and devotion to the cause makes him the perfect companion for Dominica. Her understanding of the true plan is still limited and whilst I believe she would understand my actions I believe it would be prudent to place a strong soul with her who will be able to allay her fears should she discover certain truths too soon.
*Select profile*
*Retrieving profile*
MGRAE.2240.1171
Name: Abraham Castus
Birthplace: Antares (Trader Vessel)
Social Background: Pirate Vessel
Notable Connections:
Notes:
------------------------
------------------------
Finally the runaway has been tracked down. The idiotic man has gone and ruined an entire strain. On the other hand his child was instrumental in his father's own capture, he certainly understands his father's failure in his duty to the emperor and, though he must never know of my true reason for devoting so much time to hunting down his father, I am offering him the opportunity to redeem himself through service to me.
------------------------
*Skip to later entry*
------------------------
Castus' somewhat brutal style, and sceptical nature should help to keep Dominica well hidden amongst the lower natures of human life whilst balancing Proge's religious fervour. Keeping the two from harming each other may keep her from boredom during slow times.
*Select profile*
*Retrieving profile*
MGRAE.2843.32
Name: Graahk Moa'en
Birthplace: Moa'en Clan Territory, Epiphany
Social Background: Clan Hierarchy
Notable Connections:
Notes:
------------------------
------------------------
Graahk is the middle son of the Moa'en patriarch, well along one of the strains, however there is a minor issue with his genetics. Despite this he is quite intelligent and a good fighter, and most amusingly, quite infatuated with Dominica. His father was delighted when I requested the service of his son for the God Emperor from beyond the stars. He will serve her well.
...QUERY: Graethen
*Select profile*
*Retrieving profile*
MGRAE.0.0
Name: Marcus Jukoska Graethen
Ge##der: M##le
*System Shutdown*
*Intruder locked out*

My Lord,

As you can see from what I retrieved of the Profiles it is certain that Acolyte Coral is unaware of her master's corruption. Her separation at the moment may provide us with the opportunity to covertly influence her position such that she may take a more appropriate stance when her master's true nature is revealed to her.
   I have thoroughly researched the Coral family's background and no evidence of Graethen or his mentor's influence has been located, however I believe this is not reason enough to discount more than a passing interest in the family.

Toska

#and the statistics:

Dominica Coral
WS  BS   S    T    I    WP  Sg  NV  LD
81   58   55   48  76   67   84   69   72
Right Handed
Equipment:
Sword, Sword, Duelling pistol (20 shells), 3x Throwing knives,
Prominence field*,
Flak armour (Chest, Abdomen, Groin)

Special Abilities:
Dodge, Feint

*Prominence field:
A Prominence field is a specially designed Conversion field for Noble families on Skollos. Usually set in an ornamental frame these force fields are far stronger closer to the frame.
Dominica's Prominence field acts as a Conversion field with a +2 bonus over the head and +1 bonus over chest whilst suffering a -1 penalty on every other location.

Proge Graham
46   61   51   57  53   61   64   72   56
Right Handed
Equipment:
Knife, Lasgun (NP), Shotgun (10 inferno shells),
5x De-tox, Medi-pak,
Flak armour (all locations except head)

Special Abilities:
None

Abraham Castus
56   64   57   55  62   63   52   61   42
Left Handed
Equipment:
Knife, 2x Stubbers (1 reload each), 2x Frag grenades,
Flak armour (chest, abdomen)

Special Abilities:
Rock Steady Aim

Graahk Moa'en
67   44   61  58   66   51   47   56   54
Right Handed
Equipment:
Spear, Blackpowder pistol (10 shots), Autogun, Photon stun grenade, Gas mask,
Plate armour (5 points on chest and abdomen), Mesh armour (all other locations)

Special Abilities:
Technical Issues:
Graahk sometimes has problems with "advanced" technology and, whilst having minor training, struggles to resolve issues with his Autogun.
   Each time he fires the weapon a D6 is rolled to determine the mode at which the weapon fires. He may decide before rolling the dice to change the roll by ±1 (he is proficient enough to try to hold the trigger down correctly) and the results are as follows. 1-2 Full Auto, 3-4 Semi, 5-6 single.
   On the other hand Graahk is quite proficient with his personal hand crafted Blackpowder pistol and only suffers -5% accuracy when firing it (instead of the usual -10%).

*Edit: correcting misspelling of second Toska*

Myriad

Welcome to the conclave

Good, well balanced set of characters - hope you get to use them.  Good to have conflicting motivations and corrupt masters in the mix - it gives other characters an excuse to shoot at them!

I like the idea of a primitive worlder who has problems with technology.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Inquisitor Cade

This is great stuff, I really like the style of the background, though it has appeared to lock me out before I could get the dirt on the Inquisitor himself...

All her stats fit perfectly, nothing is high withoiut being specifically backed up in the fluff, and the years of training with the Inquisition show in her respectable Bs, Wp etc.
I'd give her leader, she's been training to be an inquisitor and is deemed ready to lead a party of her own in her own investigations.
I like the Idea of the prominance field, being an original version that fits snugly with the fluff, but it is better than the standard conversion field, which it really shouldn't be. I suggest continueing the trend (assuming she has it in a tiara or something) so +2 head, +1 chest, +-1 abdomen/arms, -3 groin, no protection legs, or else base it on a refractor field (without the glow) but with +1 to abdomen, +2 to chest and +3 to head.
Does she dual weild swords? normally you put X x Y to represent X amount of item Y, but swords is an exception, I'm wondering weather it is a typo or if she does dual weild?

Proge Graham (not very keen on the surname) would probably carry a reload for his lasgun, even though in a typical game he is unlikely to need it. It would reinforce the image of a veteran agent, always prepared. To be honest I'd give him several.
On the subject of lasguns I advocate that most lasguns should have at least 2 power settings (+2 damage for double ammo consumption), as that is one of the things that sets them apart from auto guns, as they have indefinately flat trajectories they should all qualify for range C and as they are semi automatic, the should defaultly have single/semi(2/3), and I tend to give them full(6) too. For the notoriously rapid fire Necromunda pattern I'd suggest a full(8*) mode. There is lots more you can do with lasguns, look at the revised Inquisitor armory...

Abraham has two stubbers, assumong he weilds them together, and has for a while, I Suggest gunfighter. Stubbers are supposed to be among the most primitive guns that the imperium uses regularly, but they are amaingly well represented in the rulebook and thus very popular. I'd have a look (again) at the revised Inquisitor armory that gives a range of stubbers. As to why he would use a stubber over a more advanced gun, if he is particulary attached to them (faily heirloon or whathaveyou) then maybe he would have toolled them up a bit, or maybe he likes them for the ammunition types, so should have a selection of special ammo.

What is the genetic issue with Graahk? How does he carry the spear when, for example he is shooting stuff?
While I like, and aprove of the spirit of the technical difficulties rule, in practice autoguns would have a simple switch between semiauto and automatic, possibly combined with safe, if there isn't a separate safty catch. At Sg 47 he is basically average, so would cope with that just fine. Better would be making the gun jam prone (a rule from the Revised Inquisitor armoury, you might have gathered that I recon you should take a look at it). There is also a veriety of autoguns, both rifles ang SMG's in the Revi.. you've guessed it, so again, take a look and see what suits him best.
I don't see why he'd use the black power pistol, a simple revolver or laspistol is much easier to use, just point and pull the trigger, you don't need to worry about priming powder etc. and reloading is much easier as well as less frequent.

*Argh! this is here to prevent the 8 in brackets being (8). Accursed smilies.
*Insert token witticism*

Nakartai

Hey, thanks for the feedback.

Firstly, Inquisitor Graethen:
Indeed you were cut off. I may write him (and a few other characters) in some time in the future. =]

Dominica:
I see your point with the Leader skill I may add it in. The prominence field is infact represented by a silver helm (high elf) commander's helmet decoration. The greater focus on the head area would be a better idea although I do get confused by whether or not such a field should cover limbs or not (would depend on where the limb is at the time). Yes she has two swords. They are written down like that as I was originally planning for her to have a more unique weapon as her main sword but thought she was skilled enough anyway. I figure with her high weapon skill she could dual wield if she wanted to, more so I thought of it as a secondary weapon most of the time.

Proge:
Graham was a name that came as just something I thought of. Not very good but I've been struggling for names recently. Yes the reload was left out as I thought he probably wouldn't need it... you make a good point though.
Unfortunately it appears that my university doesn't allow connection to the website the links lead to so I'll have to wait until the holidays to have a look. It may help the sword issue with Dominica as well =]

Abraham:
The model uses two ork sluggas which look quite large and primitive (I liked the kindof tacky look the model has acquired (pictures will be supplied in the holidays should I manage to work out how to use the camera properly). Perhaps they could represent different weapons or favourite weapos, once again I'll have a look at the revised armoury as soon as possible.

Graahk:
As of the moment In game terms his genetic issue has no effect, it is merely a Homozygous trait which conflicts with Graethen's plans. However, I may introduce it in the future as character development... either way, only a minor issue. I assume he has a carrying strap for his spear, or just holds his gun in one hand as he blasts away at his enemies. The black powder pistol is a family weapon, Graahk is unlikely to give it up. In his opinion if he can be of service to the God Emperor then so can his family through their gift to him. And once again, on the autogun issue, the technical difficulties rule needs improving and I'll definitely have a look at the revised armoury  ASAP.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Nakartai on December 09, 2009, 11:12:43 PMUnfortunately it appears that my university doesn't allow connection to the website the links lead to...
If you're having problems with Mediafire, I can simply e-mail you the latest copy of the Revised Armoury.

EDIT: Mixed up tags.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor Cade

QuoteThe model uses two ork sluggas which look quite large and primitive

I suggest the high magnum revolver, possibly with more shots and increased enc depending on the model.
Again though, once you have access to the revised armoury.
*Insert token witticism*

Nakartai

Finally having access to the revised armoury I've had a little look.
For Abraham the model probabaly best suits a pair of high magnum stubbers (the desert eagle based ones) as they are quite large and most appropriately single shot weapons. Also I think it would be more appropriate to replace rock steady aim with gunfighter, as the character should not really have more than one SA and gunfighter is more appropriate.
Proge's lasgun definately needs a bit of difference to make it more suitable than just carrying more ammunition for the shotgun.
The jam prone rule sounds good for Graahk, although perhaps with a replaced failure table, rather than the weapon jamming something to do with Graahk making a simple mistake, forgetting to turn off the safety, he previously reloaded it slightly incorrectly, or some similar errors. The blackpowder pistol is definately staying as a character item, but perhaps it could be upgraded with some special ammunition, or stabilisers for the shot, a gift from his masters.

finally, is there a revised armoury for combat weapons? Something in which I could find a more appropriate primary sword for Dominica?

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Nakartai on December 23, 2009, 02:07:13 PMFor Abraham the model probabaly best suits a pair of high magnum stubbers (the desert eagle based ones) as they are quite large and most appropriately single shot weapons.
A pair of exceptionally large handguns is an odd choice for someone who's not actually dramatically physically strong. For what reason does he favour them over something more practically sized? Is that extra "stopping power" that essential to him over things like magazine capacity? Is it worth the extra recoil?

These are all questions to ask yourself.

QuoteThe jam prone rule sounds good for Graahk, although perhaps with a replaced failure table
Replaced failure table for Jam Prone? It doesn't have one in the first place...?

Quotefinally, is there a revised armoury for combat weapons?
This will be what you want: http://www.freewebs.com/closecombatweapons/
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles