Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

An Imperial Lexicon...

Started by monkhmer, December 11, 2009, 08:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkhmer

For those of you who play Inquisitor with a more roleplaying angle... is there a good lexicon of Imperial Gothic out there on the web somewhere.  I saw the one on Lexicanum and am not so impressed by it.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/List_of_Terms

Ideally one with a note about what would be appropriate for tech level and security clearance would be great.  For example Joe Adeptus Administratrum wouldn't have a clue about what an Ordo was or anything about Malleus-who or Immaterium-what?

precinctomega

Except that the nature of the Imperium is such that any attempted lexicon can only hope to represent the tiniest sub-slice of the use of vocabulary, and will still be wrong.

Imperial language operates on the rule of cool and the principle of might is right.

R.

MarcoSkoll

There's nothing that's anywhere near complete. There is a page at the back of one of the last IG codex (don't know about the latest one) that covers a few military terms, but I can't think of a lot else.

After a while, you start to get a vague idea of what's "40k" and what isn't, but there's no set list or hard rules. However, as a very loose guide, if the word is a bit "plain" like Watch, you swap it out with something fancier like Chronometer.

S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles