Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Lyra Rhodes and warband.

Started by MarcoSkoll, December 14, 2009, 03:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myriad

Looking good and interesting thus far.  Nice to see a character with plenty of tricks but relatively modest raw power.  Flames of Wrath seems a bit underwhelming for difficulty 15 though, in combination with a lesser force weapon.  Maybe add another D6 on.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Flinty

Ahh, excellent stuff. Particularly interested in Maya as I was struggling to work out the concept, stats and abilities for an decent Psyker character, and I think you've nailed it here with the powers meshing nicely with the background.

Like the Chaneller staff as well, especially as my sculpting skills means a psychic hood is going to look more like a very badly kitted balaclava.
Neanderthal and Proud!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Myriad on March 05, 2010, 03:18:52 AMNice to see a character with plenty of tricks but relatively modest raw power.
She's been written to be highly dependent on her psychic power - if she doesn't use it, she's unimpressive. But when she does, then it's quite a different matter.

I misused Renatus at the IGT, I'll admit that. He should have been about shock and awe, not just hitting people with a sword.
(Well, yes, hitting people would need to be involved, but it should have been combined with the shock and awe)

QuoteFlames of Wrath seems a bit underwhelming for difficulty 15 though, in combination with a lesser force weapon.
Well, I could cut it to Difficulty 10. Alternatively, how about this:

Flame of Wrath - (Difficulty 15, Persistent): Channelling their anger into their weapon, the psyker sets it aflame, feeling it and them flow into one.
While this power is active, the character gains +10 WS. Additionally, if wielding a mundane or force weapon, the weapon is shifted one "rung" up the ladder (Mundane -> Lesser Force -> Force -> Rune) while the power lasts.

... but I may just stick with a Difficulty 10 version, as I quite like the idea that the power requires a psychically conductive weapon to work.

Quote from: Flinty on March 05, 2010, 08:32:26 AMParticularly interested in Maya as I was struggling to work out the concept, stats and abilities for an decent Psyker character, and I think you've nailed it here with the powers meshing nicely with the background.
No problem - feel free to borrow ideas.

Just one thing though. Avoid going for "Dungeons and Dragons" style illusions. It's one thing for a psyker to be smoke, mirrors, shock and awe, but quite another for them to make complex illusions (such as the appearance of a person) - that doesn't really belong in the 40k universe.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

MarcoSkoll

Here's a question for you. Having been working on Maya's character and background (largely for the War of Shadows RP), I've decided I'd like her to have some real vocal power - rather literally.

I'm considering adding these two powers to her repertoire:

~~~~~

Cry for Eternity - Difficulty 0, Persistent: The psyker's power resounds in their voice, giving it unnatural volume and energy.
While active, the psyker's shouting distances are increased by five times (Understood at 100 yards, Heard at 150 yards)

Sonic Howl - Difficulty 10: Roaring through a psychically charged larynx, the psyker lets loose a excruciatingly loud and raucous howl.
Every character (Friend or foe, but excluding Daemonic, Mechanical or just plain deaf characters) within 6 yards must pass a Wp test at -20%, or be Disoriented (-20% to all stats except T) for their next turn. The howl can be heard for 200 yards.

~~~~~

(And yes, I did steal the name of a DragonForce track - possibly just a placeholder though.)

I might tweak the exact ranges or difficulty levels involved, but what do people think on this? Adding these would bring her up to a considerable total of eight psychic powers.

It's a big number, but I'm not sure it's unreasonable - something like "Cry for Eternity" isn't a combat power, and most of the rest aren't necessarily all that powerful either. Given that her psychic powers are her only expertise, would it be fair enough to add these two?
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

I see nothing wrong with a character having a lot of psychic powers - it makes the character more versatile but not necessarily much more powerful. Powers are still risky and liable to go wrong so it's not as if having a lot of powers means she's going to be casting a whole lot more.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Kasthan

Psychic powers don't stack like abilities (cause you can't use more than one at a time and the difficulty makes it hard to use more than two a character turn), personally I think more powers are needed or that a character could use any out of a discipline. Psychic powers are manipulation of the warp, so it seems silly that character X can throw you backwards (psychic impel) but can't then pick an object up (telekinesis) etc.

Some are more restrictive e.g. daemonology as (personally) they are more ritual and "spell" based rather than physical manipulation.