Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

anti-glue?

Started by Sneak, December 21, 2009, 12:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sneak

Ive just got back from my xmas visits so Ive got all my old Inq stuff back (so much more than I remember...) half my models are paint stripped and in bits, the other half are going to be paint stripped and remade... Anyway the question I have is, do you know of a way to remove superglue from metal? Also Green stuff... or is it going to be brute force and a pair of pliers?

p.s. I will get pics of my stuff up when I work out what to do with it, probably tomorrow

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Sneak on December 21, 2009, 12:32:35 AMAnyway the question I have is, do you know of a way to remove superglue from metal?
Acetone, found in most nail polish removers. It'll also strip off paint, but whatever you do, don't get it near plastics, as it will destroy them.

If you've got plastics in the mix, I'm less sure of a solution - I'm told that hot water and soap can be used to remove superglue, but I've never actually tried it myself.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Heroka Vendile

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on December 21, 2009, 12:51:14 AMI'm told that hot water and soap can be used to remove superglue, but I've never actually tried it myself.
This is what A & E use when people super-glue themselves to things/body parts, but it's a slow process.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Heroka Vendile on December 21, 2009, 02:11:33 AMThis is what A & E use when people super-glue themselves to things/body parts, but it's a slow process.
I'm not entirely surprised.

Myself, I usually have super-glue debonder somewhere around - well, that's if I decide I'm not going to just pull myself free with brute force and ignorance.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

precinctomega

I think the Zap-a-Gap range of superglues, designed with hobbyists in mind, includes not only a debonder but also an accelerant.  But I don't think this range is available in the UK yet.

As far as stripping miniatures goes, I've tried a lot of products over the years.  For metal miniatures, by far the most satisfactory to use has been Blackfriar's Paint & Varnish Remover.  Don't get it on plastic!  It also makes superglue and greenstuff easy to break off, but has no discernible effect on Milliput.

R.