Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Spring Conclave 2010

Started by Kaled, December 21, 2009, 12:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaled

Afternoon all,

The date for the Spring Conclave is confirmed - it will take place on April 24th 2010.  I've booked six tables, including provisionally booking the Imperial City (but we may not get it as there's other events on that day).  I've started writing the campaign pack for the day and will release further details over the coming weeks.  Also, I'll be approaching a couple of people to ask them to help me with GM duties and the running of the day.

So, you've got four months to build a warband, sort out your travel/accomodation arrangements.  I'm looking into arranging food like we did at the IGT - so if you have any requests as to what form that should take, let me know.

- Dave

EDIT:

I've gone through this thread and so far the list of attendees is as follows (names in bold have confirmed their attendence);
Kaled
Robskib
Kasthan
Necris
Van Helser
Heroka Vendile
Myriad
Holiad
Greenstuff_Gav
Brother_Brimstone
MarcoSkoll

PrecinctOmega
Adlan
Anacron
Inquisitor Ranovack
Nakartai
ein

I'll update this list as I get more responses from people...

+++ Chronicles of the Carthaxian Conclave +++
+++ The Succession +++

A one-day Inquisitor campaign at Warhammer World, Nottingham, April 24th 2010

+++

+ To: All members of the Carthaxian Conclave
+ Priority: Alpha
+ Subject: Death of Lord Grolin

It is with deep regret that I must announce that this morning Lord Inquisitor Marcus Grolin, head of the Carthaxian Conclave, was found dead in his private study by members of his household staff.

Lord Grolin, aged 317, has been a member of the Carthaxian Conclave for a little over two centuries.  During much of his long and glorious career he was a member the Ordo Hereticus, eventually rising to the position of Master of that Ordo.  He was later invited to succeed Lord Roemar as head of the Carthaxian Conclave, a position he has held for almost sixty years.  Notable events in his career include Scourging of the Folixian Cult, the Prosecution of General Fangorn, and the Trial of Inquisitor Yund.

Lord Grolin had been suffering continuing health problems for some time, and it is believed that these were the cause of his death; however, as is customary in these circumstances, a full investigation will be carried out to verify this.

I know that everyone will be saddened by this tragic event, and on behalf of the Carthaxian Conclave I would like to express my sympathies to Lord Grolin's friends, colleagues and members of his staff.

May the Emperor watch over his spirit.

Lord Inquisitor Calleia, Acting head of the Carthaxian Conclave

---

+ To: All members of the Carthaxian Conclave
+ Priority: Delta
+ Subject: Appointment of a successor to Lord Grolin

With Lord Grolin's passing, it falls to us, members of the Carthaxian Conclave, to choose his successor.  As is tradition, we will now enter into a period of quiet reflection and contemplation during which we will all pray for guidance from the Emperor to ensure that we might choose wisely.

Members of the Conclave are invited to meet at the Inquisitorial Fortress on Tigguo Cobauc on 0310010.M42 when Lord Grolin's successor will be appointed and announced.

In the meantime I will continue to lead the Conclave during this difficult time of transition.

Lord Inquisitor Calleia, Acting head of the Carthaxian Conclave

+++ The Succession +++

Inquisitor Lord Grolin, head of the Carthaxian Conclave, is dead - ostensibly of natural causes, but who can be sure in days such as these.  With no clear successor in sight, numerous candidates have stepped forward in an attempt to claim the position for themselves.

Your character has been drawn into this web of politics and intrigue, and their actions will help determine who succeeds Grolin as head of the Carthaxian Conclave.  By tradition, any Inquisitor has the right to put himself forward as a candidate; however in the past no Inquisitor Ordinary has risen to head the Carthaxian Conclave.  In the run up to the High Conclave, the candidates must vie for nomination.  At this stage, candidates will seek to drum up as much support as possible from their peers and other influential members of the Imperial elite.  In the past, unscrupulous candidates have dispatched agents authorised to use any and all means at their disposal to ensure the candidate's nomination.  The final list of nominees will be announced at the High Conclave, where the new Lord Inquisitor will be decided by a ballot of the Conclave's members.

Who your character chooses to support in the race for the succession is up to you.  Your player character may be a member of the Carthaxian Conclave who feels that the position ought to be his and hence you may decide to campaign on their behalf.  More likely though, you will decide to campaign on behalf of someone else - the player briefing pack (which will be made available on the day) will contain details of some of the leading members of the Carthaxian Conclave, ones who would have the support of their peers should they be nominated.  Alternatively you could create an NPC of your own and attempt to win sufficient support for them to succeed Lord Grolin.

Similarly, your character's reasons for supporting their chosen candidate are for you to decide.  If your character is an Inquisitor, then they may have thrown their support behind their chosen candidate in the hope of increasing their influence within the Conclave.  There is also plenty of scope for non-Inquisitorial warband to take part in the campaign.  Your character may be an agent, willing or unwilling, of one of the candidates who has been dispatched on a mission to ensure the succession.  Or they could be a member of another organisation with something to gain by a particular candidate rising to the position of Inquisitor Lord.  Agents of disorder may also have an interest in influencing the succession, perhaps by destabilising the Conclave so they can work their plans while the Conclave fights among itself.

+++ Taking Part in the Spring Conclave +++

The Spring Conclave will take place at Warhammer World in Nottingham on April 24th 2010.  Registration and handing out of player packs will start at 10am, with a view for gaming to commence at 10:30 and continue until around 17:00 leaving some time at the end of the day for free-play.  Players are welcome to join the event later in the day, however this will decrease their chances of winning the campaign.

There are no hard and fast restrictions on the types of characters you can bring, however you are asked to bear in mind the following guidelines when choosing your warband;

• The theme for the day is Inquisitorial politics, so preferably your characters should be ones who have an interest/involvement in the workings of the Carthaxian Conclave - see above for some suggestions as to why different characters may be involved.
  • You can bring as many characters as you like, however the maximum number of characters you will be allowed to use in each game is three; in some games you may only get to use one or two characters.
  • One character must be designated your principle player character and this character must play in every game.  In most cases this will be the warband leader but it could be a trusted henchman.
  • You can include any archetypes you like in your warband, but to reduce headaches for the GMs when it comes to 'balancing' the scenarios it is probably best that your principle player character is one that is not too contraversial (such as a powerful alien or a Space Marine).

For each character you will need;

• A painted 54mm model representing your character.  This must be modelled using WYSIWYG principles, and as we are playing at Warhammer World, the model must be predominantly composed of GW parts.
  • A completed character sheet for the character.

You will also need to bring;

• Dice (D6s, D10s & Scatter Dice)
  • Tape measure
  • Pens, pencils, erasers etc
  • Inquisitor Reference Sheets

Optionally you may want to bring;

• The Inquisitor rulebook (either in book form or a printout of the PDF version).
  • The Inquisitor Annuals 2002 & 2004

Robskib and I will be GMing on the day, but we need a ratio of roughly one GM to every three players, so the more players who turn up, the more GMs we will need.  Kasthan has already volunteered to GM if needed, but I may be asking for more volunteers on the day depending on how many people turn up.  If you are willing to GM, then feel free to bring along any NPCs you may want to use - the scenarios I have planned are fairly loose and GMs will be able to modify them as they see fit.  I will run the final game, and there should be some time for free-play at the end of the day so the GMs should have chance to play a game or two as well.

+++ Playing the Campaign +++

The ruleset to be used for the campaign is that contained in the PDF Living rulebook available to download from the GW website.  All players will be expected to use these rules, however the GM may impose whatever house rules he chooses.  New players are more than welcome to take part - it would be helpful if you have read the rulebook, but the GMs and other players will be happy to talk you through your first few games.

You may use any equipment, skills, psychic powers etc that you wish, including ones you have created yourself - however bear in mind that time spent explaining non-standard rules will impact on the limited gameplay time available.

Some of the scenarios in the campaign may be won by means other than violence, and so players and GMs are advised to familiarise themselves with the following rules for persuading and threatening your opponents characters (taken from PrecinctOmega's draft Inquisitor 2.0 ruleset).

Persuasion
Often there will be occasions when one character wishes to talk another character into doing what he wishes.  Persuasion is an opposed test with the persuading character making a Leadership test using half-Leadership.  If he is successful, the target must make a Willpower test on half-Willpower, modified by -10 for each degree of success* the persuading character had in his Leadership test.

Note that the target must be able to hear or otherwise understand the meaning of the persuading character.  Players should use common sense when determining whether a character can be persuaded to do something and the GM should arbitrate any disagreements; however, a persuaded character will not shoot at or attack the persuading character.

A persuaded character may spend Actions considering the persuading character's offer by making a Sagacity test.  If this is passed then the character is no longer persuaded.

Note that a player may choose for a character to be persuaded without testing.

Threaten
When persuasion fails – or a character isn't a persuasive type – then threatening might work.  Threatening works in exactly the same way as persuasion, but the target tests against half-Nerve.

The following skills relate to persuasion and threaten tests;

Brutal – The character may choose to make threaten tests using his Strength instead of his Leadership.
Intimidating – The character may make threaten tests using his full Leadership.
Persuasive – A Persuasive character may make persuade tests using his full Leadership.

* The persuading character receives one "degree of success" for every full 10 points by which his Ld test is passed.

+++ Chronicling the Carthaxian Conclave +++

As a final note, this campaign takes place within the Chronicles of the Carthaxian Conclave setting that has been running on The Conclave for some months now.  Players are therefore encouraged to use that thread to chronicle the part their characters play in determining the outcome of the succession.  This could include their characters actions in the run up to the event, how they fare in the games on the day, or what they do in the aftermath of the new Inquisitor Lord being appointed.

+++
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

RobSkib

So how will the day be split up? Many short games like the IGT where everyone takes turns to GM and play, or a select number of GMs running longer scenarios?
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Van Helser

Traditionally, one of us has run the day (including a table), with a couple of trusty co-GMs to run a couple of other tables.

Around 3-4 games for each player is the norm.  Depends on course on what Dave's got in his head.

I should be able to come down for this.  I'll get looking at flights.

Ruaridh

Kaled

The format will be very much as Van Helser says - a few games, the 'winners' of which will play in the final big scenario. More details once I've finalised the campaign pack...

Nakartai

I'm going to attempt to finally make something like this! Knowing my ability with painting I'm worried that I will end up rushing things and ruining my models =p What sort of level of painting is required, not really meaning quality wise, more level of completeness?

Heroka Vendile

well GW tend to stipulate 3-colour minimum in their tournaments, but we really don't care.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Kaled

Yep, don't really care too much - obviously nicely painted models look good in photos, but the day is about the games so it doesn't really matter if they're only roughly painted. As we're playing at WHW, models should be made of predominantly GW parts - not that I care, but if a member of staff takes exception and asks for a model to be removed then their decision is final.

precinctomega

As the IGT, a few minis were entered in the painting competition that weren't even 50% GW minis, but neither of our judges seemed to notice.

R.

Kaled

Yeah, the staff at WHW don't seem to care about non-GW models (for Inquisitor at least) but there's always a chance that someone will decide to enforce the 'GW models only' rule... Personally I tend to ignore it, but make sure I have at least one GW model just in case.

MarcoSkoll

Very much looking forward to it.

I shall have to finish the work on the last two of the current set of greens, then, as and when I get my hands on some more brass wire and a new box of green stuff, I shall start work on some new models to bring.

Quote from: Nakartai on December 23, 2009, 01:11:54 PMWhat sort of level of painting is required, not really meaning quality wise, more level of completeness?
Well, it'd be nice for the models to at least not have undercoat showing, but don't feel the models have to be immaculate. The paintwork I took to the IGT was horribly rushed and far from exemplary, but there were no complaints. (That said, I hope to bring more impressive looking models to the Spring Conclave.)

Quote from: precinctomega on December 23, 2009, 04:14:51 PMAs the IGT, a few minis were entered in the painting competition that weren't even 50% GW minis, but neither of our judges seemed to notice.
Well, said models were hidden amongst heavily converted GW models, or indeed largely sculpted models (although, by a truly strict definition, that probably counts as less than half GW).

Either way, if a staff member staring at the models close-up didn't have complaints, I'd be truly surprised if a staff member merely casually passing would spot anything. At the IGT, I'm not sure we ever got more than a few glances from the staff anyway.

Still, has anyone here actually had such a problem at WHW?
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on December 23, 2009, 11:23:57 PM
Well, said models were hidden amongst heavily converted GW models, or indeed largely sculpted models (although, by a truly strict definition, that probably counts as less than half GW).

2/3 of my warband were sculpted  ;D
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Kasthan

Hi guys, just to let you know I have available accommodation.

I live about twenty mins car/motorbike ride from WHW or a bus route that will drop you off at the QMC near WHW (its about 10 mins walk from there).

I can house about 10 people max (over the first 3 will be on the floor). Food can be provided, but if there are lots wanting to stay I will need a little money to cover costs (parents will not be happy having 10 people raid the fridge).

Stay can be on the Friday or Saturday (or both).

A few things to note:
1. I have 2 dogs and a cat (those with allergies etc)   
2. I'm vegi thus no meat in the house (but I can make a mean cooked breakfast)
3. You can get to mine from either Derby, Nottingham or Long Eaton train station.
4. I only have a motorbike, so if you don't have a car you'll need to get the bus

That is about it. Post a reply, then PM for further details.

precinctomega

QuoteI'm vegi thus no meat in the house (but I can make a mean cooked breakfast)

...and any discussion as to whether those two assertions are or are not mutually exclusive should be taken to Arkhan's Mind.

I've been given a leave-pass by SWMBO for this date, just so long as we aren't in the middle of moving house.  Which we might be.

R.

greenstuff_gav

looks like i'll be going; working sunday tho :P
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Necris

I should be in attendance

will be good to be back
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog