Author Topic: For the powers that be...  (Read 5670 times)

Offline RobSkib

• Illuminatus 2009
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
    • Dreadquill Publishing
For the powers that be...
« on: December 24, 2009, 12:36:54 AM »
I'm not really sure who's in charge of this, or where this thread should go, or even my own name, but I thought I'd voice it anyway.

I was thinking the other day as I was putting together my article for Dark Magenta submission that the Conclave doesn't have a forum for sharing pieces of art based in the murky back alleys and abandoned industrial warehouses of our games of Inquisitor.

I personally believe that if we had a forum for submitting user-made artwork, it would encourage more people to come forward with original pieces that otherwise would have not seen the light of day. I know Marco is an avid sketch-fiend and could probably name about a half-dozen others that have picked up the quill and scribbled something down on a piece of paper to get their point across. I think that a forum similar to the P&M forum, but for 2D works of art might even tempt some budding artists out of their caves and we could find some real talent.

Anyway, that's just my two Pesos, I'd like to see what others think about having an Art forum.
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Offline MarcoSkoll

• Arch Data-Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
  • Time for some thrilling heroics.
Re: For the powers that be...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 05:49:42 AM »
I know Marco is an avid sketch-fiend
Avid is a stronger word than I'd use. I enjoy it, but I only scrawl every now and then - I'm usually short of ideas, and then short of the talent to draw some of the ideas I do come up with. What I really need to do is to throw myself at a load of practice and build up my skill.

That aside, I like the idea of an Art section. I know there are other sites like Ordo Illuminatus, but sometimes... it's just not an art site you want.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Offline precinctomega

• Inquisitor-Missionary
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
  • Fear me, for I bring PLASMA!
    • Precinct Omega Studios
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 10:40:05 AM »
I think there's a fine line.

It's all very well posting concept designs for a character, or for including illustrations to support a campaign introduction, but we don't want to see people illustrating character concepts with an illustration with no intention of it becoming a miniature.  To that end, I think that art focussed on models should stay in the P&M section, in the thread that eventually produces a model; whilst art focussed on campaigns should stay in the "In the Field" section, and art illustrating short fiction should belong in the In Character section.

For more general 40k art, Ordo Illuminatus is the right place, and I commend both it and the very inspiring Weekly Sketch Group to all Conclave artists.

R.

Offline Saussure

• The Inquisition
  • Administrator
  • Interrogator
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 11:54:05 AM »
My feelings on this have been rather well articulated by PO in this instance. If you have a series of concept sketches for a character that are leading towards a model, then putting them in the P&M forum is totally acceptable. I wouldn't even object if the odd picture were to crop up in the OOC boards if it helps give the participants of an RP an idea of locations, NPCs etc. However, I wouldn't want to see threads being over-run with artwork. Ordo Illuminatus is surely a good place to go?   

Herodotus Benedict Saussure
Ordo Hereticus Terran
Forum Moderator

Offline RobSkib

• Illuminatus 2009
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
    • Dreadquill Publishing
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 01:39:20 PM »
Ah okay fair enough. To be honest, I wasn't even aware that site even existed! Thanks all.
                                     +++++++

Offline Molotov

• Inquisitor Lord
  • INQ28 Afficionado
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 01:53:35 PM »
In honesty I'm having trouble keeping the site going single-handedly; the guy I started the board with hasn't been around for over a year due to work commitments, and that's notwithstanding my work commitments. Without moderators to help me it's getting pretty difficult.

That said, there are some fabulous talents on Illuminatus, and it's definitely worth a place in any GW fan's bookmarks!
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

Offline RobSkib

• Illuminatus 2009
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
    • Dreadquill Publishing
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 02:04:38 PM »
Then maybe a small banner or linky somewhere public on the 'Clave would bring in more hapless folks like myself? Or is there already one and I'm just being incredibly dim?
                                     +++++++

Offline MarcoSkoll

• Arch Data-Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 04:03:50 AM »
However, I wouldn't want to see threads being over-run with artwork.
Actually, on that note, I may as well ask this here.

I've got a possible plan for a short-ish comic to go in the IC section - like I said above, I want to try and build up some practice, and some sequential art sounded like a good way to do a load of pictures with less worry about needing an individual concept for each one - it also seems like a good way to tell the particular story.
I'm not yet sure exactly how long it will run (in either time or page count).

Would such a thing be frowned upon, or would it be within reason?

GW's =I= articles

Offline precinctomega

• Inquisitor-Missionary
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
  • Fear me, for I bring PLASMA!
    • Precinct Omega Studios
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 01:07:30 PM »
Obviously, it's Derek's call.  I would say that, in principle, a sequential art comic in the 40k genre would be as valid an addition to the IC section as any other form of fiction.

Having said that, though, you would be well-advised to drop into Ordo Illuminatus with your first two or three strips to get suggestions, input and inspiration.  We have not only some great illustrators, but several members with experience as comic artists, either professionally or as enthusiastic amateurs.

An influx of talent to OI may help the beleaguered Molotov find someone to help him with the management.  I feel a bit guilty for dumping it on him, as it was me who encouraged him to re-start, clear out the spambots and summon back the hordes before buggering off to start my own business.

I have limited admin rights on OI, though, so I do keep tabs on stuff.

R.

Offline MarcoSkoll

• Arch Data-Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 07:24:58 PM »
Having said that, though, you would be well-advised to drop into Ordo Illuminatus with your first two or three strips to get suggestions, input and inspiration.
Definitely - if I'm going to set myself up for a couple of hundred comic panels as part of trying to improve my skills, I'm going to be looking to get some criticism and feedback on it beyond just the storyline.

GW's =I= articles

Offline greenstuff_gav

• Chief Enginseer
  • Administrator
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
  • Greenstuff Monkey
    • Build Your Imagination
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 12:45:02 AM »
I've got a possible plan for a short-ish comic to go in the IC section - like I said above, I want to try and build up some practice, and some sequential art sounded like a good way to do a load of pictures with less worry about needing an individual concept for each one - it also seems like a good way to tell the particular story.

personally (again; Saussure is The Boss) it'd depend on context; something like Mr Culexus' Veloren Hoop (although it's based on Dark Heresy) would work as it follows Inquisitor's theme quite well. Whereas Tyrant's Space Marine Life while developing background, is clearly a 40k piece.
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Stuff for Trade / Sale!

Offline Saussure

• The Inquisition
  • Administrator
  • Interrogator
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 03:36:31 PM »
In I come again!

If someone is willing to spend the time on producing something high-quality, then it would be hard to argue that it wouldn't be a perfectly valid way of producing a narrative. However, I'd be disappointed if the IC boards got filled with poor-quality images that told an awful tale! Also, as had been said, it would be important that the subject was certainly the Inquisition and not Marines (for example).

I'm willing to give this a run and see how is goes, though it would be watched closely.

Herodotus Benedict Saussure
Ordo Hereticus Terran
Forum Moderator

Offline MarcoSkoll

• Arch Data-Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 05:39:28 AM »
If someone is willing to spend the time on producing something high-quality...
Well, to answer this one, I'll break it down into two sections.

Art-wise:
As it's in the interests of advancing my artistic talents, I have no intention of producing low-quality work. After all, if I haven't tried, then I'm not going to get any practice worth having.
Of course, the converse is that I know I need practice, which is why I'm even considering doing a comic in the first place - so I can't promise sparkling artwork either.

Obviously, if I'm doing a comic, I can't give each individual panel the kind of work I'd invest in on a full piece, but this piece serves as a decent example of what I can produce in the style I'm aiming for.

There are two caveats on that.
1) I'm not sure I'll be doing the comic in colour. I plan to, but if it proves too much work, I'll have to scale back.
2) It's likely that if I do a comic, I'll be doing it digitally. Up until now, my line-work has been entirely traditional, so there'll be some learning curve associated with switching to fully digital. That said, I may "ink" over traditional sketch work at least until I get more familiar with the tablet.

Story-wise:
I'm far from possessing the literary genius of someone like Sargoth, but I'd like to hope that my RPing and story telling aren't thought of as being complete rubbish.

I think that it's a story that could sustain itself without the comic to support it, but I think the comic is the best way to tell it. It offers the possibility for a rather useful mix of a third person "camera", and a first person narrator, giving a nice flexibility of being able to address the story from either an objective or subjective viewpoint.

As a last point, even though it's a comic, I'm not going to try to make humour a regular part of it - I recognise that I'm no master comedian. The odd humourous moment might make it in, but for the most part, I intend to take the story seriously, and keep it feasible (within the 40k universe, of course).

Also, as had been said, it would be important that the subject was certainly the Inquisition and not Marines.
Well, that depends on how strict you're being with that definition. I can say next to nothing without giving away parts of the plot, but I'll explain what I can.

The story is a web of intrigue and foul plots set far from any literal battlefield - we're well away from Marines kicking seven shades of ichor out of the enemies of the Imperium.
The Inquisition will probably be involved in the story before the end of it, but the story is not centred around them. The story of the Inquisition finding and defeating evil machinations has been done many times before - and quite a few of those times, far better than I could ever hope to replicate.

So, while the story would be perfect for the Inquisition, I'm trying to switch things up a bit by not using them as the main protagonists. In the end, what it basically boils down to is "In the theme of the Inquisition, but with less actual Inquisitors".

I'm willing to give this a run and see how it goes, though it would be watched closely.
Great! I can't guarantee I'm going to do it yet, but I'd like to try.
If I do, I'll try the best I can. While I don't pretend it'll be flawless, I'd hate to offer a sub-par contribution to the IC boards.

The earliest it could start is at least a couple of weeks off. I'm planning to invest in a better graphics tablet with some of the funds that came my way this Christmas, and I'll be waiting on that before anything starts.

GW's =I= articles

Offline Inquisitor Sargoth

• Inquisitor
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 04:00:42 AM »
I'm far from possessing the literary genius of someone like Sargoth

Truly the greatest compliment I have ever received, all the more so for not being directly addressed to me.  :D

One of the greatest strengths of a graphic novel/comic medium is that it actually lends itself to surprising sublety with regards to character emotion - in short, you can show much more with a simple drawing of a smirk or the hint of a frown than with a description of it. I believe backgrounds will drive you insane, however. Most artists get very good at character modelling, especially their main characters due to simple practise, but drawing interesting, consistent backgrounds on every panel is maddening by all accounts.

In short, I shall look forward to it!
One More Hit - A tale of addiction.

Offline MarcoSkoll

• Arch Data-Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Grand Lord Inquisitor
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 07:23:26 PM »
Truly the greatest compliment I have ever received, all the more so for not being directly addressed to me.
I very much mean it. I've been reading all my life (save the first three years) and in that time, I've found few things which I rate as highly as the stuff you write - you leave so many of the things conventional wisdom rates behind, both in terms of the underlying story and the way it's told.

One of the greatest strengths of a graphic novel/comic medium is that it actually lends itself to surprising subtlety with regards to character emotion.
Part of the idea - I think the whole format will allow me to tell the story better (if slower) than a purely text format. It also ensures the mental image any reader have will be the same (roughly) as what I have in mind.

Of course, it will probably take some time to get my art together enough to get things to that ideal stage - I'm passable, but not great.

I believe backgrounds will drive you insane, however.
Ah, I have an advantage there! I've saved time by being insane when I thought of the idea.

In short, I shall look forward to it!
I, on the other hand, am somewhat terrified by the idea. But to quote from a rant of one webcomic artist: "All the stuff that is out there? Good or Bad? Those people at least started!"

And that's the philosophy I'm working by. If I want to do this, I have to start at some point, which might as well be sooner rather than later.
It's not a bad time to start. The IC board is suffering for lack of activity - and this story, if all goes to plan, should give it content on a reasonably regular basis for at least a few months (but quite possibly, even in excess of a year...)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 07:26:06 PM by MarcoSkoll »

GW's =I= articles