Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Alien Name Generator Aliens

Started by DapperAnarchist, December 30, 2009, 06:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DapperAnarchist

Having played around with the Seventh Sanctum Alien Race Name Generator, I decided to share with the 'Clave what I had produced and created around them -

Biosages Of The Flesh Space
Medically talented group, possibly religiously influenced, available for hire to any. Biology inconsistent – Magos Philen's research indicates that the origin is definitely Xenos. Known to utilise some form of biologically empowered warp travel [cf. Crotalid]. Widespread but rare. Known to be unwelcome on a variety of Craftworlds. Known to be hired by certain Xenophilic Governors [cf. The Teshar IV Rebellion, The Hundredth World Uprising, The Rebellion in Fourth Hive, The Unholy Court of Lord Kerat]. Known to have at least once rejected approaches from Tau Empire. Known to have assisted at least one hostile Xenos race [cf. Q'Orl]. Warning signs – Unusually long-lived individuals, especially in the absence of Mechanicus assistance, unusually low or high rates of mutation, especially in known risk mutation families [cf. The Noble Chebe], sudden miracle cures among the not sufficiently faithful [cf. The False Saint Grashof].

Coffin Beetles
Necrophageous scavenger found on a wide variety of worlds, possibly spread in Grox shipments [cf. Arken's World Stripbug]. Common on Selpucher Worlds. Roughly ½cm from head to tail, with four limbs and an assortment of manipulatory appendages at the head. Usually insignificant. Possible risks are 1) damage and destruction of holy relics and 2) the anomalous behaviour known as "puppetting". In puppetting, a coffin beetle swarm will massively increase its rate of reproduction, easily doubling in size every 2 days, and in at least once case, doubling in size every 3 hours [cf. The Dreg Infestation]. The newly grown swarm will then infest a recently dead creature, and animate it. The swarm will then direct their new animated host to attack around itself wildly. Newly killed creatures will then become suitable hosts for the rapidly reproducing Coffin Beetles.

"Electroghast"
Existence Rumoured – Possibly Mythical. Believed to be some form of Xenos being possessed of powerful electromagnetic field. Sometimes claimed to be a humanoid species with electromagnetic powers or technology [cf. Xenarch {?}, Stakis]. Sometimes claimed to be living, self-sustaining, possibly intelligent being formed of electromagnetic fields. Considered Xenos Horribilis Minoris by the Inquisition. Considered Xenos Horribilis Extremis by the Adeptus Mechanicus. Extremely dangerous to delicate and advanced technologies. [Note – Electroghast rumours also under investigation through the auspices of the Ordo Hereticus, Collegia Extremis and Ordo Malleus]

Heliosaurs
Primarily void-dwelling creatures. Ferro-chemical biology. Resemble the flying Saurian specimens found on certain worlds [cf. 'Maiden' Worlds]. Feed by consuming plasma, primarily by 'flying' through the upper layers of stars. Known to attack Imperial shipping seeking access to their plasma drives. Lifespans estimated at least 5 million years.

I'm definitely going to make an Electoghast - use wire to make a sort of bundle of lightning, similar to the Poltergeists and Electro Anomaly in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Here's the Poltergeist, in its lightning form

I think all of these names came direct from that generator - which is here.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Swarbie

Cool. I can see why the AdMech don't like Electroghasts  ;D

But my favourite would have to be the Coffin Beetles. Zombie-time!

EDIT: Just trying the generator now. Here's what I have so far.

Vortex Herders Of Pollux Two
Believed to be a chaos-tainted race, all are high-level psykers. They appear to feed off warp energy. Will work together in groups to open multiple warp rifts then 'herd' them together to form a rift far larger than any individual Vortex Herder could form. They then feed off the energy flowing from the rift. This inevitably leads to a daemonic incursion. Fortunately, they only need to feed once every millennium. Their lifespan is unknown and possibly infinite, depending on how much energy they take during a feeding session.

The generator also came up with the name "Pyrovore". GW has infiltrated the generator!
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

MarcoSkoll

Ooh, I like this idea.

If you don't mind, I'm going to let my mind run a little wild for this one.

~~~~~

Gravitic Bugs
One of the few species capable of surviving the ultra-high and constantly changing gravity in the Ynir system, Gravitic Bugs are exceptionally tough creatures around the size of a human fist.
Their primary food source is the dense and otherwise rare metallic elements the system is rich in.

It is unusual to see Gravitic Bugs outside the Ynir system, but a Mechanicus expedition in M.35 removed a number of colonies for examination. The escape of the creatures has plagued the planet Leudis IX since, as they have proven impossible to eradicate, and are frequently encountered devouring materiel.

Astral Medusae
Energy beings with a highly negative psychic presence, far beyond any human untouchable. Although legend would have it that staring at an Astral Medusa is enough to strip one's soul, the reality is that simply being within a given radius of a Medusae is often enough to prove lethal, particularly to psychically sensitive individuals.

It is reported that some parts of the Inquisition have developed the technologies to contain an Astral Medusa enough to not prove immediately fatal to nearby beings (although prolonged proximity may still cause memory loss, dramatically reduced brainpower, or insanity). It is believed that they have used some of these Medusae as a weapon against highly psychic enemies of the Imperium by simply setting them free in the vicinity.

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
A terminally stupid creature that is the best way to annoy a Vogon... wait, this wasn't from the generator.

Psychochameleons
Similar in appearance to the avian Jan'kan. While technically visible to the eye, this species casts a strong psychic field that dissuades any attention or interest in them.
Although almost never noticed by humans except at extreme distances, they are most often spotted long after the event in pict-captures.

Very little else is known about the creatures. It is largely hoped that they have little interest in humans, for fighting them would be near impossible.

~~~~~

... well, that was fun. Absolute nonsense, but fun. Might play with the Medusae idea down the line somewhere.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Swarbie

QuoteRavenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal

Ah, Marco, you make me laugh. It may not be utter nonsense though. I vote we all do a few of these and then anyone looking for an alien character to use in a game can use one of these descriptions as a starting point. Just look through the descriptions and pick the one you like best.

For example, an Arbites team attempting to cleanse a morgue infected with Coffin Beetles would make for an interesting scenario.

What do you guys think?
With it, my world
To dust returning

DapperAnarchist

I say do it!

Yeah, Coffin Beetles would make a great "slightly different" zombie thing - as killing the living to avoid them being infected doesn't work (just tell me that the Imperium wouldn't try that)...

The Biosages might be good as a big bad in a Xenos themed campaign - and the advantage is they can look like ANYTHING. Got a Carnifex? Biosage. Got a human? Biosage. Anything...

Some of these might be better as DH enemies though

Swarbie

Ok, I've got a couple more descriptions for aliens produced by the generator.

Flux Assassins
Flux Assassins, commonly known simply as the Flux, are a mercenary race that survives by selling trained killers to the highest bidder. They are unique in that they do not move normally with the flow of time. Believed to have evolved as a defence mechanism, whenever a Flux is in mortal peril it is transported forwards or backwards in time. Usually these time-jumps do not cover more than a few hours, but constant training can extend the jumps to the point where they can cover decades, if not centuries. A Flux Assassin will undergo extensive subconscious conditioning to allow it to make a jump without the stimulus of being in danger, allowing them to catch their target unawares. The Flux cause much trouble whenever a member of the Inquisition attempts to study them, for they may appear in the holding cells years before the Inquisitor even learns of their existence, or jump forward to when another specimen is being examined, long after the Flux was believed to have escaped.

Dire Weasels
Resembling nothing more than giant weasels armed with advanced weaponry, Dire Weasels are a xenos race with a level of technology similar to that of the Imperium. They build cities underneath the surface of a planet, and then create engines powered by the planet's core. The planet is then used as a space-craft. Anything living on the planet's surface is usually killed to prevent any damage to the planet-ship's engines, which are the only things Dire Weasels ever build on the surface.

With it, my world
To dust returning

DapperAnarchist

Dire Weasel... Isn't that an old D&D monster? I like the Flux Assassin - rules would be tricky though...

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Swarbie on January 01, 2010, 03:42:33 AMFlux Assassins
I may have to steal this idea (what for, I don't yet know.)

However, I would note that the only reason that there's no real scientific association between "Flux" and travelling through time - that's pretty much the work of the Back to the Future films.

But it works for me anyway.

~~~~~

As far as rules, I might suggest an ability to enter or exit play at will - possibly even some kind of teleportation (jump a few hours either way, walk to wherever you need to be, jump back to the appropriate time), although that would call for some risk.

I might also make it so that the model is automatically removed from the table if it horrifically flunks a Nv test or takes too much damage - perhaps system shock failure and/or if it reaches Acute injury on any location.

GW's =I= articles

Swarbie

I think the failed Nv test or too much damage idea would work well. Then you could roll a D6 to see how many hours it travels and a D2 to see if it travels backwards or forwards.

QuoteHowever, I would note that the only reason that there's no real scientific association between "Flux" and travelling through time - that's pretty much the work of the Back to the Future films.

Yeah, but it sounds like it should work, and a more confusing, scientifically-correct common name would have to be explained every time someone new ran into one. It's much more likely that the Ordo Xenos don't really care what names are applied to the xenos they catalogue and fight, as they probably use a specie's scientific name for universal reference between members of the Ordo.
With it, my world
To dust returning

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Swarbie on January 02, 2010, 12:24:24 AMYeah, but it sounds like it should work...
I don't blame you. It was the first thing I thought of when Flux came up as part of a species name, and it took a couple of seconds for the scientific side of my brain to cut in and go "...wait a minute."

QuoteI think the failed Nv test or too much damage idea would work well.
If it's simply a failed Nv test, they'll need a damn high Nv, or you'll easily end up with your scenario screwed up because of a lucky stubber shot.

GW's =I= articles

Swarbie

Sorry, should have clarified. I meant your idea of the horribly failed Nv test, not just any failed Nv test.
With it, my world
To dust returning

Herald

Despite some of the odd suggestions it throws up (Artificial Dogs anyone?) it's quote fun to play with so here are my offerings:

Nanovores
Native to the agri-worlds in the Kaluki Cluster these creatures are among the smallest known multi-cellular beings in the galaxy. Even a large swarm of these creatures is largely invisible to the human eye and yet they are capable of consuming an entire grox in a matter of seconds. The consumed material is then converted into highly toxic fumes the smell of which is often the only indication of the creatures' presence.

Illusion Burners of Gallina
The Gallina system is home to a race of highly psychic xenos life forms who ensnare they're prey by creating in their minds an illusion of their greatest desires. Once the victim is totally immersed in this illusion it begins to burn and the victim finds itself engulfed in raging warp fires. The Illusion Burners also use their powers to distort the viewer's perception of them so their true form is unknown but they often appear as floating balls of warp fire or burning humanoid figures.

Grave Gremlins
Small pale green creatures in many ways similar to the small Orkoid creatures know as 'Gretchin' or 'Grots' but even smaller  being barely knee high. They are found throughout the tomb worlds of the Quedel Sector and increasingly in other areas where it is customary to bury the dead in stone or metal coffins. Considered a minor threat. Inquisitor Aidan Toua has put forward the theory that they are in fact off shots of the Orkoid species whose growth has been stunted by the lack of space and nutrients found inside the coffins. If his theory is correct then these creatures could pose a much larger problem than first thought as they could spread Orkoid spores to planets thought to be safe from the Greenskin threat.
"A man who joins the Inquisition a radical has no faith, a man who leaves it a puritan has no sense".

Ynek

I like the idea of coffin beetles... And I actually have a few failed 54mm sculpts that could quite easily be worked into becoming such creatures...
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

DapperAnarchist

Having been thinking about this again, I made three more -

Unsearchers
A highly peculiar race, the Unsearchers developed a near unique defence mechanism. Utilising low-level psychic abilities, an Unsearcher can cause things to become lost, shifting things around them in a motion described by Savant Tullian as "artificial entropic increase". Not dangerous in themselves, they can be a serious risk during combat, due to the tendency of ammunition and equipment to go missing, and also should be immediately destroyed if found in any archival facility [cf. The "Lost Memo" Massacre of Illimia 9]

Cryorulers
One of the many threats found on the ice world of Beta Mortulu, the Cryoruler is a predatory creature. Its own body is roughly half a meter at the shoulder, and 2.5 meters long, with 6 limbs, but the Cryoruler is able to lower the temperature around it so as to create icy armour, increasing its size to an average of 3 meters tall and 6 meters long, with a recorded maximum of 5 meters by 9. The creature utilises this ability to create 'ice horns' as weapons, most often seen in a cluster surround its head, known to Mortuluites as a Cryocrown.

Spherovores
A vermin species native to Delina, the Spherovore has much in common with Terran Beetles. What marks it out is the fact that it is capable only of eating things that have been formed into spheres, its mandibles unable to deal with anything else. Towards this, it has a variety of intricate cutters and shapers sprouting around its mouthparts. In the dome-cities of Delina, Spherovores are used to create various objects, including wooden balls used as bearings in the large 'Holydoors' that separate the domes.

Kaled

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on April 25, 2010, 08:41:03 PM
What marks it out is the fact that it is capable only of eating things that have been formed into spheres, its mandibles unable to deal with anything else.
This made me laugh as it reminded me of the bread-and-butterfly that lives on weak tea with cream in it...
"Supposing it couldn't find any?"
"Then it would die, of course."
"But that must happen very often," Alice remarked thoughtfully.
"It always happens," said the Gnat.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat