Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Stark Truths OOC

Started by Inquisitor Sargoth, December 30, 2009, 10:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inquisitor Sargoth

Something I wrote as a break from One More Hit, which I have not abandoned and will hopefully update soon.

Apologies for the biology near the end. Blame the silly genetics presented in Xenology....

Thoughts, criticisms?
One More Hit - A tale of addiction.

Swarbie

I think it's quite good. Personally, I love 'nids, and it's interesting for me to see someone's take on how their presence would effect different people according to their professions. You have the weary doctor, the calculating survivor-type soldier, the fascinated biologists . . .

You've managed to cover different views of the 'nids. It's good.
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

Baraltax

I like how you've opposed harsh, human experience against the detached, scientific reasoning of a scholar whose every word voices the grittiness of the 41th millenium. Undeniable logic, yet so cruel.

The format of an interview is quiet original, to me anyway. And I approve.

What I find less clear, however, is how and when the expert is talking about the same war as the above two interviews and when he might be talking about other planets and other battlefields. I probably got lost in the biology and strategum.

Inquisitor Sargoth

It's a different planet and war - his world was Augusta Prime, the other two were on Svaro. In hindsight, it would perhaps have been more sensible to put them all on different world.

Glad people like it. I'm considering opening it up to submissions.

Swarbie

Sounds cool. So basically, people could submit perspectives on the tyranids in an interview form?
With it, my world
To dust returning

Inquisitor Sargoth

Essentially, if it's laid out in same way and isn't horribly gung-ho. The more it focuses on the crushing and overwhelming nature of the 'nids, the better.

Swarbie

Cool. This gives me an idea. . .

What do you think about a guardsman who was infected by a 'stealer during a tyranid invasion. The invasion was fought off, and he's looking forward to going home, when they tell him during the interview.

I think that could definitely convey the crushing despair kind of thing.
With it, my world
To dust returning

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Swarbie on January 03, 2010, 03:16:03 AMWhat do you think about a guardsman who was infected by a 'stealer during a tyranid invasion. The invasion was fought off, and he's looking forward to going home, when they tell him during the interview.
Interesting, if you can explain why they're not just shooting him in the head.

Perhaps if they're interested in studying his transition into becoming a Genestealer, but there's little else that immediately makes sense.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor Sargoth

Turning into a 'stealer? Genestealer infection has no external signs of symptons, at least until the first mutant child is born...

The 'how' is a question left open, though the term 'implanted' has been used. My theory is that some weird 'nid organ literally is implanted, and whether it remains within the body forever, releasing hormones to mess with the DNA of zygotes, or dissolves away after changing the genome of some cells is up for debate.

I don't know if 'stealers bother with infection during invasions  (I may be wrong), as there seems little point infecting someone you're just going to kill and absorb the biomass of at a later date. During an invasion, they're just a particularly nasty member of the great swarms and only as advance scouts do they revert to their better documented Xenomorphic behaviours. I may be wrong, though, as I've not seen the latest fluff and know very little about Broodlords.

Story needs to sort out that issue, Swarbie, but it should be interesting. Go for it. They're interviewing survivors for the Strategic Collective - they can grant a few days stay of execution for that.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Inquisitor Sargoth on January 03, 2010, 06:49:40 PMTurning into a 'stealer? Genestealer infection has no external signs of symptons, at least until the first mutant child is born...
Dang, I'm sure I read an article in WD about it being a case of a slow mutation into a 'stealer (somewhat in the manner you might expect the bite of your typical interpretation of a zombie to slowly corrupt a human host)

I did read it many years ago, so I probably misread it at the time, and my memory has been further corrupted down the years.

My mistake apparently.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Swarbie

Marco, I do believe that only infected space marines slowly turn into genestealers, because they cannot reproduce normally. In all other cases, the implantation (which is a literal 'tumour' of genetic material that is placed directly into a host by an ovipositor-like organ on the end of the genestealer's tongue) integrates itself into the host organism's sex cells over the period of a few hours to a few days. This allows for the whole four-armed, fanged child thing.

I think Sargoth also has the right idea: they've delayed the guardsman's execution to help them gather information on fighting the 'nids.
With it, my world
To dust returning

Inquisitor Sargoth

I'm not dead.

Updated and edited. Enjoy!

EDIT: And again, only a few days later. Anyone know why the bold tags are appearing all over the shop? The italic ones aren't...

Kallidor

Where you've tagged in bold you've done it like this (without the gaps of course)  [ i ] [ b ] [/ i ] [/ b] and that is causing the bold tag to appear. They need to be like this [ b ] [ i ] [/ i ] [/ b] If you quote this post you'll be able to see.

Example One[/b]

Example Two

I've been reading this just now and it's a really good way to detail characters, very intimate unlike simply telling the reader about the character in a general OOC fasion. The insight into the Hive Mind and how it affects people is well portrayed and an entertaining read. Other than that I qould echo what others have said that it portrays the gritty inhumanity that keeps the Imperium going without resorting to GRIMDARK!!111!ONE, much like old soldiers recounting a war and chuckling about mowing down the enemy, aweful, horrendous stuff to experience but recounted in a normal, human way.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!