Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Robed Battle Sister

Started by Kaled, January 21, 2010, 02:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaled

As a bit of a change of pace from all the AdMech characters, I put together this robed battle sister - a simple conversion of the Repentia model.  Although I think she turned out okay, I'm still not a fan of the base model and I don't think my efforts have improved her greatly.

- Back -

I sculpted her base to match that of my Kasrkin-style Stormtrooper - he's been a bit of an orphan in my collection for a long time, but hopefully sometime this year I'll get around to building an Inquisitor (and possibly a fourth character) to make up a warband.

- Dave
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

RobSkib

Inspirational work as usual Dave. I personally don't get what everyone has against the Repentia model, I think she's quite a nice sculpt, but thats maybe becuase I have never owned one and I just really want one for my collection :P

I'm intrigued to see what their Inquisitor might look like, however...
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Hadriel Caine

I have to agree with RobSKib here- always wanted a repentia model and this one just confirms that. she looks very hardline. like the additional details and head swap. Painting is obviously top notch... :)
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Discy

I've never really like the Repentia model, something about the face and the ankles always put me off. However, the Daemon Huntress head works really well. The ankles are still slightly too thin, and were I ever to track down one of these, I would break out the GS and bulk the leg armour up a bit. Still, it looks really good, and the painting is awesome, as always...
Beep if you love muties!

MarcoSkoll

I don't have any particular grudge against the Repentia, but it's never struck me as the best of the models that GW brought out.
Still, I like what you've done with it.

That said, it's curious that this should come up today, because it was only earlier that I was thumbing through one or other of the 40k rulebooks and started thinking about doing a Battle Sister myself. Not sure quite what I'd do with one, but no doubt something would crop up.

S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

kierkegaard

It looks good to me Dave. I don't know why you don't like the model (I also don't understand why you went out of your way to get it if you don't like it  ;))

Inquisitor Cade

[goes without saying] Great model [/goes without saying]

Really though, she encapulates the concept perfectly. I wouldn't have known what to think of to imagine a Battle sister sans power armour, but that is it.

I'm already scared of this new warband though, with a kasrkin and a battle siste it could out fight most already. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the Inquisitor and other guy.
*Insert token witticism*

Kaled

I think the main reason I don't like the sculpt is that although she looks okay from some angles (such as the ones I photographed her from), she looks rubbish from most others. I don't hate the model, but I would say that she's one of the worse sculpts in the range.

My current plan for the warband, which may well change, is that it'll be led by an Inquisitor Lord - perhaps someone more used to working behind the scenes rather than at the frontlines. He may well be Lord Inquisitor Calleia, who is currently acting head of the Carthaxian Conclave, but who normally heads the Helios Cabal. It'd be nice to have him done in time for the Spring Conclave, where he could appear as an NPC, but I don't have any of the parts I need and already have a stack of models to build.

I wouldn't say the battle sister is all that powerful a character, sure she's reasonably skilled and better armed than most of my characters, but without any armour she's going to be very fragile...

EDIT: On the subject of the Inquisitor - this is the look I want for his head.  Eisenhorn's seems like the best bet from the GW range, but I've used his a few times already so can anyone familiar with heads from other manufacturers (Andrea, Hornet etc) suggest an alternative?

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Kaled on January 22, 2010, 09:26:07 AMI wouldn't say the battle sister is all that powerful a character, sure she's reasonably skilled and better armed than most of my characters, but without any armour she's going to be very fragile...
An unarmoured character isn't necessarily at huge risk. Of course, they have to be more cautious than an armoured one.

Renatus is completely unarmoured, but he made it through the IGT with fewer injuries than Kai, who is second only to Frost as the most armoured of my current run of characters.

QuoteEDIT: On the subject of the Inquisitor - this is the look I want for his head.  Eisenhorn's seems like the best bet from the GW range, but I've used his a few times already so can anyone familiar with heads from other manufacturers (Andrea, Hornet etc) suggest an alternative?
You might get something out of the middle two heads in this set - might need to break out the ProCreate to change the hair, but that's simple enough work for someone of your skill.

Although, I can't say how they'll work with GW's Heroic scale.

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on January 22, 2010, 08:55:21 PM
An unarmoured character isn't necessarily at huge risk. Of course, they have to be more cautious than an armoured one.
Yep, and this is a battle sister armed with a pistol and sword - not exactly the most cautious of characters, she'll be trusting to faith to protect her... 

QuoteYou might get something out of the middle two heads in this set - might need to break out the ProCreate to change the hair, but that's simple enough work for someone of your skill.
Funny, after posting I had a better look through the Historex site, and the third of those four heads was about the best I found. Think I might give them a try - now I just need to find a torso and legs etc for him...

kierkegaard

Did you consider these?

I think that they all have the right sort of look (as you are more than capable of sculpting a beard.)

precinctomega

I thought the bo'sun's head would be a good fit for Jaq Draco.

As for the Sister, you've done a good job of making her look respectable.

My main issues with her are anatomical.  For a start she is horribly skinny - and I mean beyond borderline starvation, here.  But even allowing that endomorphs are within the human kline, she has simply enormous hands and feet.

Compare the size of her appendages with those of Severina/Sevora, Jena Orechiel or even (wearing armoured gauntlets) Ivixia Dannica.

And then, of course, there were those notorious head sculpts...

R.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: precinctomega on January 23, 2010, 08:55:47 AMBut even allowing that endomorphs are within the human kline, she has simply enormous hands and feet.
You could argue the same thing about many Inquisitor models, to be honest - it's a default of the heroic scale.
The issue is more the combination of large hands/feet, and an otherwise very frail build.

Odds on, the hands would probably suit a male Inq figure quite nicely.

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

Quote from: kierkegaard on January 22, 2010, 10:47:47 PM
Did you consider these
You're right, they do look pretty good - any idea how they compare with GW heads?

Quote from: precinctomega on January 23, 2010, 08:55:47 AM
I thought the bo'sun's head would be a good fit for Jaq Draco.
True, it would be a pretty good fit, but I've already used it with the scars removed and a beard added for my admiral so I'd rather not use it again.

Ferran

I'm another that has no love for the sculpt, I don't think any amount of fixing can do justice to the character architype, good attempt but really I think that the Daemon-huntress based versions far outshine anything that this base model can ever be.