Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Dead Eagle Blues - OOC

Started by Kallidor, January 24, 2010, 02:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kallidor

I've been trying to write this for a long time but what with one thing and another I end up just thinking about it and not doing anything. Hopefully I might be able to turn this into something half decent now I've started.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Swarbie

It's a good start. Very interesting, the way you portray the character. He seems almost . . . locked in the past. Unable to forget.
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

Kallidor

I've an idea that came to me after I started that should tie all that together nicely-ish. Maybe one day I'll actually plan one of these things first and I'll actually know what the hell I'm doing.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Swarbie

I know the feeling. You get a cool idea, run with it, and then you can't finish it. But keep going. You'll work it out.
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

Baraltax

I've read "Duty Never Ends", and now this.
I must say, Kallidor, you have a talent for portraying non-normal, imaginative characters and for opening a story thus that the reader is immediately drawn into an array of mysteries.
Intriguing...

Kallidor

Quote from: Swarbie on January 25, 2010, 08:08:03 AM
I know the feeling. You get a cool idea, run with it, and then you can't finish it. But keep going. You'll work it out.

Exactly. I've had a lot more ideas for stories than I've ever started on the Conclave but knowing they probably won't get past the first post (or more likely I see a scene in my mind which would logically appear in the middle of a story) I just never bother to type them out at all. This is somthing I've been wanting to do though and previous attempts have stalled to a halt.

Quote from: Baraltax on January 25, 2010, 09:00:27 PM
I've read "Duty Never Ends", and now this.
I must say, Kallidor, you have a talent for portraying non-normal, imaginative characters and for opening a story thus that the reader is immediately drawn into an array of mysteries.
Intriguing...

Thank you  ;D

The temptation to write a big 40K gore-fest is quite strong but I feel that writing such a story would be hollow. Unfortunately I think my imagination far outstrips my skill to craft fully rounded characters that mesh into a cohesive plot. I think I tend to over explain things in stories so with this I've decided to keep it minimal and to show the world through one character's eyes and hopefully avoid that pitfall. At least that's the theory.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Kallidor

So how is the no name thing going down? I probably won't mention any at all until near the very end but does it have any adverse effects on the story?
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Baraltax

"I" and "He" suffice for naming as long as there's but two. If there'd be three, it would normally get confusing, unless the third is a "she", of course.
So, I think it's just fine as it is, didn't bother me, anyway.

I see you're taking the track of Chaos. Interesting. For all the divinising of individual freedom, there're certain lures to living in a "prison", even though we might want to deny it. Liked that.

Quote from: Kallidor on January 26, 2010, 10:11:57 PMExactly. I've had a lot more ideas for stories than I've ever started on the Conclave but knowing they probably won't get past the first post (or more likely I see a scene in my mind which would logically appear in the middle of a story) I just never bother to type them out at all.

You could put them in the Short Fiction Collections or some topic along that line.
"Scenes plucked from the daily grind of the 41st Millenium"

Kallidor

I don't think there will be any other characters, at least none that will accompany the main two so hopefully it won't become a problem.

Well the very first thing you read about 40K is that it is the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable and whilst I do think that there is room for a lot of personal freedom and liberty, it wouldn't exactly evoke the ethos to only show happy people with happy lives. In a way there is no freedom to be had, we are all constrained in one way or another and I certainly think that for the Imperium it relies on its citizens being institutionalised.

I suppose ideas for stories could simply be that, a short story that shows a scene that takes place somewhere in the 40K galaxy. I might just do that.

Thanks for the comments.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Kallidor

A few more posts maybe and I think this one might finally be done.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Mohauk

Really interesting piece of writing you've got here. Good courage to leave so much unsaid, it not only gives the writing fluidity and movement but also echoes the isolation and uncertainty which must be the hallmarks of survival on a fallen world. I always think the mark of good writing is if the reader can see echoes of other writers in it, whether the writer has read them or not: i get Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road' (same sense of total dependence, and heading somewhere for an unknown reason), bits of Philip Reeve's 'Mortal Engines' series (particularly 'A Darkling Plain'), perhaps because the references to bionic parts evokes Shrike, and for the same reason bits of the Terminator films (again that dependence for survival).

Keep it coming!
And the Raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting...

Kallidor

Thank you for the compliments, most encouraging. I only know The Road from the film version although I have used a passage rom Blood Meridian once before although only as I know that passage which I stumbled upon somewhere on the web. I haven't read any of Philip Reeve's books though (first time I've heard of him to tell the truth). The name of the story comes from the song/piece of music The Dead Flag Blues which is similar to The Road I would say.

There are things I would like to explore with a Choas held world which I don't think I will get to in this. I had a very specific reason for writing this story and I only hope that the conclusion won't spoil it; it may well be that the ending has the result of 'oh, that's what all this was about, tut'. Although I've had some inspiration and ideas recently which will modify what I was going to do which should make the ending a bit more interesting. Anyway, we'll see I suppose.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Kallidor

Hah, [EXCOMMUNICATE] my butt.

So how does the latest post sit with you readers, or should that just be reader? It's a long post but I think it moves along pretty quickly.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Baraltax

Definitely liked it.

And whatever the ending may turn out to be (though I'm curious, so go and write!), it can't undo a the good piece of writing written so far. Keep it up.

Kallidor

I find that very pleasing to hear and I'm glad you've been reading along. Thanks for the comments.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!