Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Cadian conversion WIP

Started by Vermis, February 13, 2010, 07:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vermis

I really left this one too long.  I had this first set of feet shots sitting on my hard drive since February, too.

Anyhow: bulking up the legs.  The upper legs seemed like they'd get away with it, so I concentrated on the lower legs.  To keep the some of the realistic cloth detail of the airfix model, I tackled it in two stages.  Firstly, filling in the hollows, making them much shallower:

Secondly, re-establishing the ridges.  I rolled out thin strings of putty and laid them over the exposed lines of plastic, then flattened and blended them with the hollows.

www.minisculpture.co.uk - a place about pushing putty 'til it does what you want it.  Currently recuperating from being hackered and knackered.

Flinty

Glad to see you back again since you inspired me to take a similar line with one of my minis - maybe this will spur me on to finish it off.

Excellent stuff again with some very nice attention to detail - and Im sure Im not the only one who finds the step by step approach very informative.
Neanderthal and Proud!

Ferran

Nice one, thought this was another to disappear into the aether glad to see it again.

Kresten

Very nice work so far, your sculpting skills are great.

Those boots are going to need some 'heroic'ing though IMO, maybe some traditional boot plating like on jaxon and dorian?
"A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn"

Vermis

Ta all!  Always happy to be of help, Flinty.  And sorry for the sabbatical.  Gav would be able to confirm it's one of my biggest flaws - I start something full of enthusiasm and gusto, then I drop it and wander off like I'd just been zombified.  I have a feeling I could've carved out my own little miniatures empire by now, if I could beat a goldfish in a staring contest.

Next step is a quick diversion, something I missed.  And still would have, if I didn't have a 40K Cadian mini to turn round and round in my hands.  The pockets.  Or pouches.  Pushing the putty to follow the cloth folds is one thing, but sculpting two or more symmetrically-shaped and placed objects really gets me.  Especially if they're on opposite sides of the mini.  I had to take two passes to get this one sort-of right.

...And then widen the hem of the jacket to properly cover them.

Sorry for those last two blurry pics.  My camera was acting weird today.  Weirder than usual.

Next up: the boots.  And Kresten: you're right.  It's going to need some thought.  Though I might be able to adapt the trouser-leg method.

Edit: something I neglected to mention.  Beginning with the first trouser stage, I've been adding a little apoxie sculpt to the procreate.  PC pushes and smooths well enough on it's own; but added apoxie sculpt makes it a bit softer - much easier to smush into hollows and blend into hard(ened) areas.
www.minisculpture.co.uk - a place about pushing putty 'til it does what you want it.  Currently recuperating from being hackered and knackered.

Shannow

Your skills and fine detailing are staggeringly good, when I have spare cash I am going to invest in all the different types of modelling putty/resin/etc and have a big old play! I struggle with detailing in greenstuff and I'm a bad workman so I'm blaming my tools :P

I can't wait to see this guy finished, each snapshot is droolable quality
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

precinctomega

Great work!  Can't wait to see more of this.

R.