Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Ideas for my tech priest

Started by Loki1986, February 11, 2010, 06:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loki1986

Ok thx guys stats aside. How do tech priests come in to the world. Are they born like normal People or built from donar organs(willing or not)? so i know where to start my background

MarcoSkoll

Born like normal people - just within the demesnes of the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Every child born in such a fashion is tested to see how they can best serve the Omnissiah, and the most intellectually promising become Tech-Adepts. The best again may become Tech-Priests or even a full fledged Magos.

Whatever you do though, please, not another prodigal technical genius who's born outside of the Mechanicus and who later gets recruited in after an act of genius.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Loki1986

I Was thinking a social recluse Spending all is waking moments training or studing. Maybe becomin a magos?

MarcoSkoll

I'd say most Tech-priests are social recluses to a degree anyway - their natural clinical outlook on interpersonal interactions and natural quest for knowledge will take many of them along that form of line.

You can take it further, but what you're talking about sounds like pushing it too far.
It sounds like a recipe for a character with no social connections, few allies and not much background beyond "Sat in room for fifty years becoming smart".
It's not impossible, but you'd need to add in other achievements around that - stuff like "Spent two years on the hunt for the elusive Asirael archives"*.

*Don't use this exact example though, it's directly lifted from the background of one of my characters!

GW's =I= articles

Magos Exarratus

I actually think the idea of "sat in room for fifty years becoming smart" would be an alright background, though I guess if you're that much of a social recluse you'd need to spend time letting your mind wander or wandering to different rooms or the like. I especially like the idea of "sat in a room for fifty years becoming smart, never really had any friends, sat in room mainly due to the fact he never made any friends because people generally found him odd and unlikable because all he was really interested in was sitting in a room becoming smart. He would have sat in his room for another fifty years if he hadn't accidentally got himself entangled with the experiments of the Magos next door, who managed to implicate him through proximity when the Inquisition came crashing through her door. He's been on the run ever since. He really doesn't like the real world. What he wants is a room."

... but maybe that's just me...

MarcoSkoll

That's possibly a little too weird...

GW's =I= articles

Ferran

MarcoSkoll

So that's what it reminded me of!

GW's =I= articles

Loki1986

i really dont know where to start i dont like the idea of the social recluse anymore. If i eventually create a warband i want my tech priest to be the leader so possibly even a magos. Maybe he could be one of the super naturally gifted that quickly rised to magos. He was very skillied with flails and when he lost his hands in a fight he barely suvived he made some controlable flail attachments for his arms. Able to control them like large fingers.
Apart from that i dont really know.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Loki1986 on February 15, 2010, 10:27:43 AMIf i eventually create a warband i want my tech priest to be the leader so possibly even a magos.
There's no need for a warband leader to be a full fledged Magos - they can be, but a Techpriest is a perfectly acceptable warband leader.

QuoteMaybe he could be one of the super naturally gifted that quickly rised to magos.
There's no real "quick" rise to Magos - it takes not only the mastery of a particular area of science, but also an unbelievable network of connections.

The Techpriest -> Magos relationship is somewhat similar to the Inquisitor -> Inquisitor Lord relationship.
Becoming a Lord takes not only decades of experience, but enough people who are prepared to accept that you are worthy of the rank.

QuoteHe was very skillied with flails and when he lost his hands in a fight he barely suvived he made some controlable flail attachments for his arms
And how did he make such flails without hands? (And for that matter, how did he avoid bleeding to death?)

Most augmentations on Tech-adepts are by choice, not necessity. While a guardsman might have a bionic arm because he lost the original one in a fight, a techpriest's bionics are almost certainly by choice.
Rather than "I need a new arm, because I lost the old one", it's a more likely to be a case of "I need a new arm, this fleshy organic one isn't good enough".

GW's =I= articles