Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

First Founding: Salamanders

Started by greenstuff_gav, February 14, 2010, 09:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenstuff_gav

yeah, that... but thanks for asking  ;D
no updates as yet; i just glued the salamanders pad in place as i couldn't work out how Marine Shoulder Pads would actually work  :-\

i do have the brass rod in place for hte salamander cloak :)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

greenstuff_gav

*blows dust off've thread*
so, update time!

i've been reposing and rebasing this guy and while GS drys (so i can photo) here's some background :)
for those who have forgotten, i'm trying to come up with appropriate background for each Marine to be in Inquisitor and no, not "he's onna quest!"

Xa'phan was originally one of the Salamanders leading Artificers, Master Of The Forge of the third company.
Having accompanied his company in wars and conflict over several decades, it was when Xa'phan led a force of battle brothers in the liberation of Colstanus V his Chapter Life was forever changed.
Colstanus V orbited close to it's sun, an arid dry world wracked with volcanoes similar to the Salamanders' home of Nocturn, and yet plagued by a tribe of feral orks.

Xa'phan and his force decimated the primitive orks without much distress; the orks' spears barely able to damage the stalwart Space Marines' Power Armour.
it was, however, in the aftermath disaster struck. In butchering the orks, the bloodshed was enough to awaken a dormant daemonlord underneath the planets' skin; the root of the volcanoes unnatural heat.
The Space Marines moved fast to delay DaemonLord Ark-Trx-Nia , servant of Khorne as it awoke from a millenia of slumber.
However, the Daemon was a being of unbelievable power; skin of brass, blood of molten bronze and flame licking across its' unnatural flesh. Where it trod the sand turned to glass, the heat of its' breath enough to burn the very air.
The Marines fought a strategic retreat; shepherding Colstanus' population toward extraction.

As the final battle brothers boarded, the company's Librarian, Epistolary Tu'Kain remained behind, utilising the full force of he psionic might to fend off burning air and keep the daemon from unfurling its wings to leave the planet.
As the ships left orbit, the Space Marine battlefleet bombarded the planet; the collapsing gravity combined with the extinguished oxygen extinguished the daemons' flame prematurely and destroyed its' bronze form.

relocating the homeless Colstanusians to the unpopulated world of Daitrine in a nearby system, Xa'phan decided to stay behind with the population, to protect them as they built their new home.

Over a century has passed and the population has begun to flourish; the people forging an Iron-Age for themselves.
Stories and legends are told about Master Xa'phan, Lord of the Forges and Sky-Warrior.
Having taught the art of smithing to the people, he has carried teachings of The Immortal God-Emperor, protected them from marauding xenos and aided them in dealing with interstellar traders.

Xa'phan watches over his adopted people carefully, giving them room to expand and find their own way, but remaining close to teach them much needed skills.
Spending his time in the forges, he is always present when travellers hit planetfall; the towering presence of an Astartes giving the most hardened traders second thoughts of abusing the technologically simple people...

EDIT: piiic!

so, i've gone for a "carrying the sword" pose, his right hand closing on the handle, fingers cupping the blade.
The shoulder needs rebuilding before i attach the cast pad.

The head isn't attached; wanna get a helmet sculpted first :) (*cough* pad + helmet as a cast booster pack anyone?)
not going for a cloak in the end; too much effort to sculpt :P

I also reworked the shoulderpad; a mechanicus cog showing his rank as an artificer :)

Build Your Imagination

phil-o-mat

that "guitaristic" pose is very cool!

me like!

DapperAnarchist

I really like the story - and it opens up some interesting plot possibilities, like a Hereticus Inquisitor investigating and finding a cult developing that worships "The Forgemaster" or some such, which leads to problems as Xa'phan is torn between loyalty to the people he lives among and the Emperor he serves, with a healthy side order of temptation.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Myriad

Nice.  Very powerful pose.  Like the cog on the shoulderpad too, gives the model an individual look that marines can lack.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on November 15, 2010, 01:43:53 AM
and it opens up some interesting plot possibilities
Quote from: Myriadgives the model an individual look that marines can lack.
Quote from: phil-o-matpose is very cool!

Thanks!
following the Marine Article, this is partly the reason behind the First Founding Project; to appropriately model each of the First Founding chapters (with helmet and chapter shoulderpad!) with background suitable for Inquisitor :)

i forgot to add; his own forge is setup in the remains of a solo orbital lander; while the populace started with yurts, his forge still has the basic technology a Space Marine would need (also excuses a sci-fi-esk base! :D )

Build Your Imagination

GAZKUL

can't wait to see the finnished model, i am a devout salamanders player in 40k so it's good to see someone doing one for inquisitor
"You do not need to prove that you exist because soon you won't"

greenstuff_gav

lil bit of work, things are glued together now :)

Build Your Imagination

RobSkib

When are we ever going to get to see these painted gav?  :'(

I think he definitely needs some kind of smithing tools about his person, some kind of space-tongs or a hammer. Excellent work!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: RobSkib on November 22, 2010, 01:15:05 PM
When are we ever going to get to see these painted gav?  :'(

I think he definitely needs some kind of smithing tools about his person, some kind of space-tongs or a hammer. Excellent work!

need to finish the conversions first ;)

added some tools and some details :)

Bigger Pic

also there's a test of the helmet + shoulder pad possibly for casting as a Sci-fi Warrior Booster pack  ;D

Build Your Imagination

Saussure

This is looking really interesting, Gav. I'm struggling to visualise what your re-modelled face looks like - for reason, my brain doesn't seem to be able to work out what it's looking at! Do you have any other shots of the head? Given that he's inevitably going to have a very dark skin tone, I'm not sure it's going to be any more apparent once you've painted him up!

Herodotus Benedict Saussure
Ordo Hereticus Terran
Forum Moderator

greenstuff_gav

howsat?

bigger chin, more stereotypical nose and lips  :-\

Build Your Imagination

greenstuff_gav

paaaint!

gonna add broken up effect to the blade... i know it should be "off" if he's carrying it like that but Coolness Factor overrides :)

i've kinda acknowledged GW's offensive stereotype of "black skin and red eyes" with the brown skin and red iris :P

Build Your Imagination

Heroka Vendile

great stuff gav - although I don't see how the official line for Salamanders appearance is offensive? GW do say black skinned, not "Black" as we normally mean it.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

greenstuff_gav

Salamanders were always described as Dark-Skinned ... then at some point in this edition it was decided this meant pitch black and pure red eyed which is daft imo.
Dark Skinned is suitable for the volcanic terrain, but pure black? sounds daft to me! :)

Build Your Imagination