Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

First Founding: Salamanders

Started by greenstuff_gav, February 14, 2010, 09:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenstuff_gav

so, as i've posted before, i've got a World Eater and and Ultramarine in 54mm already.

Having two more Artemis' to hand, i've decided i'm going to try and get each of the First Founding chapters into Inquisitor with appropriate background and miniatures.
The key "point" of this long term project is to experiment with a variety of sculpting techniques, learn new methods of working and because i think it'd look cool  ;D
you never know, i may make molds of the various chapter shoulderpads i sculpt.. just for personal use, of course  ;)

So, having discussed the project with Vermis over MSN, with the Ultramarine so close to completion i've begun the third entry.
I'm aiming for a Salamanders Marine; with their high regard for saving innocent lives, it's easy to imagine a Captain, having failed his mission, leading dozens of battle brothers to their deaths and responsible for thousands of civilian casualties, taking on a personal quest to wander the Imperium looking for absolution.
Or even induced into an Inquisitors' retinue; his forthright views on protecting lives causing friction amongst the PCs.

Anyway, i decided i wanted a pose Similar To This, pointing forward, sword held by the hilt, leant up against his shoulderpad, as if shouting "YOU! Put down that human and submit to His Justice!" :D
I plan a scaled cloak with plenty of folds and overlapping armour plate on the thighs.

As usual, i gathered a horde of bits together.

of note is the guitar wire; as well as replacing some cables, i'll be building the sword handle around this.
The Avatar sword is going to have the flamer built into it; sorta like the old Redemptionist minis where they'd bolt a one-shot flamer to their weapons :D
I've already started working on the head; as i've got a spare from Adams' Salamander and, suggested from Vermis, i'm trying for a Nick Fury / Samuel L Jackson style shaved head.
If it doesn't work i may try an afro  :-\
I've gone for two of the Deathwatch pads; the unusual shape should emphasise how he used to be important.

Here i've cut the toes off; unusually i'm not reposing the bent leg, but as he's gonna be stepping on a crate or something i needed the toes reversed.
I'm also gonna cut up the other leg and straighten it a bit more to add to the stepping motion.

I've filed off alot of the detail from the Deathwatch pad; i love the detail and wanted to keep it, but i think it'll look too "oh. its the deathwatch pad" and detract from the Salamanders look.
I've got one pretty smooth; i'll be going over it with Greenstuff and adding the Chapter Symbol here.
The other will receive similar treatment, but the skull will stay in the middle of a ball of flame (i don't know how the Salamanders Squad Markings work :( ) and both will have the banded edge rebuilt.

A quick mockup of the sword was needed and i'm not happy (with is why i did a mock up :) ).
I may cut the flamer down to be slightly smaller or may take Artemis' sword and built the flamer into the blade itself (cutting a chunk out to accommodate it).
However, this decision will wait until i've got the main body together; this will give me an idea on scale and how well the pose works.

So, there's the first update.
all ideas and suggestions are welcome as well as offers of selling me your unwanted marines; i only need 14 more :lol:
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Vermis

Gratified as I am you listened to my suggestions, don't feel tied to them. :)

But what about the gemstone thing?  You forgot the gemstone thing!  Do I need to get the stick again?

Quote(i don't know how the Salamanders Squad Markings work Sad )

It's not the squad markings, but I remember someone posted an old White Dwarf pic on Bolter&Chainsword of Salamander company markings.  Can't find the bugger now, but they have it written down in the librarium.
And from that link it looks like the left kneecap for squad markings.
www.minisculpture.co.uk - a place about pushing putty 'til it does what you want it.  Currently recuperating from being hackered and knackered.

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: Vermis on February 14, 2010, 10:50:31 PM
But what about the gemstone thing?  You forgot the gemstone thing!  Do I need to get the stick again?

what gemstone thing? :lol:

on squad markings, i suppose it's linked to Space Marine Captains in general; what is their right pad used for?
for "normal" marines it's Squad Markings; Librarians have their rank / book thingy, Apothecarys the double Helix, Chaplains generally a skull and Standard Bearers should have a wreath, but what do captains (or banished marines  ;) ) wear?

Build Your Imagination

Alyster Wick

Sounds intriguing (plus you always have such great stuff!).  Very excited to see your Emperor's Children and  Death Guard Marines respectively. 

Not to get the thread of task, but can you link your World Eater?

Molotov

Captains would wear their individual heraldry, surely. From Graham McNeill's books (though you can choose to believe them or not), Uriel Ventris had to remove the markings from his armour before leaving the Chapter. Different Chapters might have different traditions, though.
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

Vermis

Quote from: greenstuff_gav on February 14, 2010, 10:55:18 PM
but what do captains wear?

Aah... Je comprends.

In that case, I dunno.  :P  The 40K 'Codex Astartes' look is usually the skull or 'german' cross for HQ, innit?  Sallies might have a chapter variation (or personal heraldry) but I don't know anything about that.
www.minisculpture.co.uk - a place about pushing putty 'til it does what you want it.  Currently recuperating from being hackered and knackered.

Tullio

Captains have no particular markings, if I recall, but the Codex does tend to suggest the skull marking for command. Since the Salamanders don't follow the Codex markings anyway, it doesn't matter much ...

Tullio

Kaled

I have an old (Rogue Trader era) painting guide which includes the Salamanders - obviously it won't match what's in more recent sources, but it might give you some ideas for a different take on things.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Molotov

Well, I do have this, which I believe was posted around the time of the Armageddon campaign, which shows the company badges for all seven of the Salamanders companies, and then some honour badges. Apologies for the small pictures:

INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

greenstuff_gav

Thanks Molotov!  ;D

slight update; got some plate onto the thighs, rebuilt the chest detail (removed the necklace) and destroyed the pipework so they can be remodelled upright :)

Build Your Imagination

Vermis

Oooh.  That's pretty sharp for GS.  8)

Gestalt

"All things have sprung from nothing and are borne forward to infinity."
                                   Blaise Pascal

greenstuff_gav

slight update.
debating if i should put the armoured ankles (rather much like old school devestators + the Templar illustration) on as well.

i think the nose maybe a little too big... will get a side shot at some point.

currently working on attempt 3 of the Salamanders icon :lol:

Build Your Imagination

greenstuff_gav

so, i took the legs apart again; wasn't happy with the pose :(
added a bit of reinforcement around the bottom too; not going for full on devastator supports, but enough to break up the lines a bit :)

attempt 3 of the Shoulderpad i'm a lot happier with the results. it may come off for another attempt yet, but that can wait :)

the arm is still well WIP; elbow, pipework pad supports yet to go on. i think this is why it looks a little short...

Build Your Imagination