Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Dental Surgery=Productive Weekend

Started by Alyster Wick, February 15, 2010, 04:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alyster Wick

I had a great weekend of organizing my bits and putting together some new models after some dental surgery took my out of commission for anything which involved speaking.  It was also spurned on after I visited the GW workshop in my new neighborhood and they said they'd love to have me do some demo games (which means I'll need a variety of models).

I reassembled my Interrogator model from way back when with a different head (it used to be Eisenhorn) and added a few extra details.  He needs some greenstuff to fill a couple gaps and smooth over the flame on his holster.  I'm also going to give him more distinguished hair (Slick's always seems patchy and hoboish IMO).

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx83/alysterwick/New%20Camera%20Pics/041.jpg

Next is the as yet unnamed "Wanderer."  My plan to grow inquisitor players is to offer up a number of my models as mercenaries for their warbands so they can start out only having to buy one or two 54mm models, the Wanderer will be a merc.  After his torturers left him for dead the Wanderer was saved by an unknown agent who nursed him back to health and gave him bionic implants to make him whole again.  He now hunts down his would-be killers to execute them with the instrument they used on him (the fancy little chainsword).  He will work for anyone with knowledge of the men he's looking for. He needs some serious GSing.

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx83/alysterwick/New%20Camera%20Pics/038.jpg http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx83/alysterwick/New%20Camera%20Pics/039.jpg

Last but not least is Zero, an agent for Alyster Wick.  He is purely in mock up mode right now.  He'll be getting a trim on his right arm and some extensions on his legs (Murke and the Hive Ganger are both about a full head shorter than their colleagues). 

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx83/alysterwick/New%20Camera%20Pics/049.jpg
http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx83/alysterwick/New%20Camera%20Pics/050.jpg
http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx83/alysterwick/New%20Camera%20Pics/051.jpg

I also made some subtle changes to Wick and my Techpriest, both small but I think the improvements are vast.

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx83/alysterwick/New%20Camera%20Pics/042.jpg

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx83/alysterwick/New%20Camera%20Pics/045.jpg

Hadriel Caine

Some nice minis here. I particularly like the Interrogator, Slick's face is v expressive IMO. the GS will really make a difference here too I think. I love the idea of merc NPCs. makes a lot of sense and increases game accessibility ten-fold. well done! The wanderer is cool, like the model and premise. Can't wait to see progress on these guys.

Adam
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Adlan

I like the look of them all, Zero looks interesting, in particular, his gun reminds me of the Mateba Auto Revolver.

Except bigger, 40kified.

Myriad

I liked the interrogater with Eisenhorns head but actually I think the new look is even better - kinda cavalier.

Liking the wanderer - is that a real skeletal arm (which you can never have too many of), or is it due bulking out?
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Alyster Wick

Thanks for the feedback!

I actually got a little GSing done today (just filler, details tomorrow hopefully) and have three more models on deck for this weekend.  Unfortunately I won't be able to basecoat any models until I find a decent place to basecoat (it's cold in Milwaukee and my apartment isn't spraypaint friendly).

Quotehis gun reminds me of the Mateba Auto Revolver.

I'm counting it as a grenade launcher.  Originally he was going to have a plasma gun but this is sooooo much more fun (and cool looking).

QuoteLiking the wanderer - is that a real skeletal arm (which you can never have too many of), or is it due bulking out?

It's a Necron Destroyer arm, bulking the shoulder but leaving the rest.  It'll probably count as atrophied (it's fine for everyday things but not so good in a scrap).

QuoteI love the idea of merc NPCs. makes a lot of sense and increases game accessibility ten-fold.

I've been lamenting my inability to find INQ players whilst I travel and decided to plot out a scheme to grow more, this idea just came upon me completely randomly.  I figure no one has an excuse not to play if all they need to do is shell out for one or two models.  The GW Store guys also loved it because it will help sales (slightly).

Molotov

I really like the Interrogator, and really wish I could get hold of Kal Jericho parts (probably one of the things that would encourage me to make more 54mm models). Really nice work, though - I'm keen to see these going further. I like the work thus far on Zero, who looks like an interesting character.
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Molotov on February 16, 2010, 04:50:32 AM...and really wish I could get hold of Kal Jericho parts.
Yeah, it's one of those models that was a huge loss from the range.

I think the reason was something to do with an intellectual property crossover/clash with Necromunda... although I'm not quite seeing why that was an issue - it's not like they've never used the same IP across systems before.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Simeon Blackstar

I think the original writer of the Kal comics left GW, got fired or something, and there was a big copyright dispute.  That's what I heard anyway.

Some sweet looking models here.  The Interrogator does look much better with Slick's head - which I agree needs better hair.  Wanderer and Zero have great concepts - love that grenade launcher! - but I'll reserve judgement until you've made the alterations you're suggesting.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Simeon Blackstar on February 17, 2010, 03:19:19 PMI think the original writer of the Kal comics left GW, got fired or something, and there was a big copyright dispute.
Doesn't really make sense.

Firstly, I believe that for GW to publish anything, the copyright has to have been fully handed over to them. There may be a few situations where that isn't completely true - but copyright is a complicated issue...
Secondly, they're still making and selling the 28mm Kal - they just stopped making the 54mm version.

Anyway, the discussion on this point is starting to take over the thread, so I suggest we leave it there.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

precinctomega

For info: it was a typical GW legal hash.  Kal Jerico was written for Warhammer Monthly but without the author signing the usual "all ur brains r blong 2 us" contract, meaning that he was entitled to royalties on future uses of his character.  The 54mm Kal model was released without a contractual agreement with the author and when this was pointed out they axed the model rather than risk a punitive legal settlement.

When the 28mm model was released, a settlement was already firmly in place.

Back on-topic, is anyone else suspcious of the possible involvement of Van Helser in this thread's origins?  Is he travelling the country putting INQ players on dental leave to ensure that they get more hobby time?

And if not, why not?

R.

Alyster Wick

Perhaps the worst part about the Kal fiasco is that I was a poor college student and only purchased his torso and legs figuring that when I had more money I could just buy the entire model.  :(

No picture updates as of right now, but I've been putting a lot more time into these models and it's starting to show.  The Wanderer will have more green on him than any model I've done previously so I'll be very excited to put these up for your review in the next couple days. 

1337inquisitor

these characters are very well done for mostly 40k bits. Though their looks remind me of a lone genesis game call solidiers of fortune or as you brits know it as the Chaos Engine
No honey, the true moral of the story is never put down your weapon.

Homer Simpson

Sumaki

They do pop up on ebay now and then, but not as complete as this one here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Games-Workshop-Inquisitor-Kal-Jericho-Model_W0QQitemZ220554746994QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Toys_Wargames_RL?hash=item335a165c72

with those lovely pistols too....

I managed to buy mine relatively cheap because it had a few parts missing and it was just after xmas so money was being spent elsewhere.

Van Helser

Quote from: precinctomega on February 17, 2010, 03:41:37 PM

Back on-topic, is anyone else suspcious of the possible involvement of Van Helser in this thread's origins?  Is he travelling the country putting INQ players on dental leave to ensure that they get more hobby time?

And if not, why not?

R.

If people want to pay me for ad hoc dental surgery, that's fine with me!

Alyster, any chance of seeing what Zero has on his back.  Looks like a Cadian vox set and the sword from the Eversor, but I can't be sure...

Alyster Wick

QuoteAlyster, any chance of seeing what Zero has on his back.  Looks like a Cadian vox set and the sword from the Eversor, but I can't be sure...

Here is the back shot: http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx83/alysterwick/New%20Camera%20Pics/050.jpg

I'm 99% sure that the knife on his back is the Eversor sword.  I also attached the eagle's head from an old nemesis force halbred to the end of the handle to make it more imperialy.  The antennae is indeed from the Cadian vox set but the backpack itself is made from the back section of a defiler with the (sizeable) exhaust pipes trimmed off. 

Below are a couple updates on the Wanderer.  I've done some greenstuffing on the rest of the gang but it's nothing worth posting, I'm mostly hoping to get some feed back on the wanderer's abs.  The final shot show he still needs some (basic) work (I got milliput on Vermis's advice and am very excited to see how it works).  He's supposed to look like he's about to dome someone with his riflebutt, hope that effect was achieved.  I have secured a place to basecoat my models tomorrow so the painting can commence soon!